Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing for Lake Trout
From the moment I caught my first laker, I was hooked (no pun intended) and cant get enough. However it is not the most action packed day on the water, at least until I hook up on one. Im looking for advice on different ways to catch more lakers. For the most part I use different jigs (mostly homemade). I am seeing alot of fish on the sonar and get alot of looks from fish on the bottam, but Im not getting the strikes I would like to see. Any help on different methods or baits would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
Jigging is a great way to go for the big ones, and that "bite" is often so light you just don't feel it. I have been fortunate to fish with some great Mac fisherman that have taught me a ton (and still do). Another great way to learn more is get out wiith a guide, Jim Williams and Ashley in the Utah board both guide on Flaming Gorge and are 2 of the best Mac fisherman you will fish with!! They can teach you a ton. If you are focus is catching more Macs trolling is a good way to go but the really big dogs are the ones sitting on the bottom and "slowly slowly slowly" vertical jigging from an inch or two off the bottom and then back to the bottom is a great way to go.

Please keep in mind that many of the anglers on this site are WAAAY SERIOUS ABOUT "CATCH AND RELEASE" on these big mac's. I have learned to appreciate that piont of view in relation to fish this old but am not as fanatical about it as some. [Image: bobwink.gif]

[Image: flamingorge_028.jpg]

[Image: flamingorge_029.jpg]

[Image: flamingorge_021.jpg]

[Image: 0431.JPG]

[Image: big_mac.jpg]

[Image: mackinaw.jpg]

[Image: bigger_mac.jpg]

[Image: laker.jpg]

[Image: big_mac.jpg]
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
I'm the guy running the boat in all those pictures, and I'm sure Mike will agree when I say that NONE of us ever get the "strikes we would like to see" from those big lakers. Been guiding and fishing the Gorge for 30 years. They're not easy, but learning the tricks of the trade greatly cuts down the learning curve and increases bites. Pups that are only several years old are easy. The big ones that are 20, 30, even 40+ years old have been around long enough to see you coming before you ever even try to get 'em to bite. Everything has to be right. Right place, right time, and most importantly the right presentation. Lure choice isn't important.
[signature]
I have caught alot troling big pop gear with a minnow and have seen some above.fourty pounders caught this way. Also when jigging if you feel the bight its to late you have to watch for slack in the line.
[signature]
[reply[/reply] I couldn't agree with you more on catch and release, those big fisharent good to eat and there is no reason in my mind why you would want to keep them, that's what cameras are for. On the other note, I like your idea of hiring a guide, but there is a flip side, its costly, you may not catch fish and I've heard rumors that some guides wont teach you things if you live close to where they fish, which I do fish the gorge a lot, I live in vernal. So any other help I'm all ears. Thanks in advance for all the help.
[signature]
><((((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸>(((º>
.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·><((((º>
.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

those are some beautiful lakers!
man, what a beaut'!
good luck with your fishing adventures.

captain Jacob
[signature]
well my favorite ways to catch mack's in CA are J-Plugs in different whites with some color and silver with blue backs and Rapalas. my favorite rapala is an F9 in the rainbow trout color, it may be small but they do the trick, Rapala's are the lure of choice at Tahoe Topliner's guide service on lake tahoe. i hope this info helps
tight lines
[signature]
Give the big sonars a try if you havn't already. They work great. WillCFish
[url "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeimV-YkrMk"][/url]
[signature]
Hey , I hope this will help you.
[signature]
On Yacht Charter Dubai there are so many amazing place where we used to enjoyed. There are so many place where i visit for the first time.[fishin]
[signature]
Am also want to have a deep sea fishing in Dubai ? can anyone suggest me?
[signature]
You made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for the issue and found most individuals will go along with your forum about fishing but tell me something about dhow cruise dubai ?
[signature]