Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More or Less but larger?
With some of the talks about fishing catch numbers and recent years production. I got to thinking about what I would like to see happen with my fishing, which would be more average fish mostly, BUT I would accept only one or two fish a trip if they were bigger.

this is ONLY about catching. it does not matter if you release or keep. it is only the hypothetical question pertaining to IF you could be guaranteed to catch fish on every outing how would you prefer the action? a lot of the same size fish, or fewer but bigger fish.
[signature]
For me personally, I would almost always go for size over numbers. However when I take people along, especially wife, kids or grandkids, it takes numbers to keep them excited. When I'm so busy helping them with their fish, that I can't even fish myself, then we're all happy, especially me. As for managing the fisheries, I say manage some for size (Strawberry etc) and some for numbers (Scofield etc.)
[signature]
Yeah it matters if I'm taking my son and nephew along then I want numbers...but for me I've fished all my life (thanks dad)!! little trout just don't get the blood a pumping, ill sit at u/l or the gorge all day/night long for one big fish rather than 50 small fish anyday!!!
[signature]
If you have bigger fish you will have smaller one that will grow into the average..

That is called a good fishery...Or an all round fishery...
[signature]
I preffer 10 fish to call it a good day no matter what the size.

But yes a Tiger muskie or a lake trout of size will help call it a good day too. [Wink] That doesn't happen most of the places I go to so I am a quantity over quality guy.
[signature]
I prefer larger fish and prefer for places to be managed for them. However, some days it's fun to get out there with light tackle and just knock the snot out of 10-12" bass all day or get out the 3wt and catch bluegill one after another. I guess I'm still not to the point of wanting to fish all day for the chance at one large fish, but then again, it's rare that I have a whole day to fish. 2-3 hours is the norm, and I definitely want to get into something. Still, 10 fish is a dang slow day to me. I guess my vote is for some smaller, some larger, but I definitely want to catch more than 7 fish.
[signature]
I fish a lot, but not as much as I'd like to, and most of the time my destination is the Berry, simply because I can catch numbers AND size there. However, I can have a good time almost anywhere and I like diversity. Over the last few years I have developed my own personal fishing calendar with certain events that happen at certain times of the year. And I try to hit those events mostly for diversity, and in some cases, diversity means BIG fish but FEWER fish. Here are some trips that myself and others try to go on each year:

1. Lake Powell (Wahweap) in April = Stripers
2. Pelican Lake in May = Largemouth and Blugills
3. Flaming Gorge in June = Monster Mackinaw
4. Idaho with Kent (summertime) = Monster Sturgeon

The Flaming Gorge and Idaho Trips may sometimes yield very few fish on any given day...but the ones that ARE caught are big...very big. And well worth the gamble.

So I guess my answer to your question would be...Sometimes I like to fish for BIGGER and FEWER fish, and sometimes I like to fish for SMALLER and MORE fish! Mostly I just like diversity and it's fun to see how many species I can rack up each year. it would be cool to be guaranteed that you would catch fish, and in that case I would definitely go for bigger/fewer fish, but since there is never a guarantee...I fish for both and hope I catch some of each.

One of my annual goals each year (...practically my ONLY goal this year) is to average at least 10 fish per trip, and sometimes that means I'll go catch 20 smaller fish somewhere, so that I can go on another trip to try and catch a Tiger Muskie/Mackinaw/Sturgeon, knowing that I may get blanked...but still maintain my average.
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Numbers??? bad day 7 to 10 fair day 20+ good day 30 + and lots of big fish...
[signature]
simple.....winter time good day....not falling through the ice

summer time.....good day....not sinking the boat.......

in other words....surviving to fish another day!!! lol
[signature]