Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Remove Hard Water Spots?
What are your ideas of how to remove hard water spots from the plastic cowling of my outboard motors?
[signature]
There are a couple of products on the market, Ducky water spot remover, Babes water spot remover (carried at the local marine stores) or you can try a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water. If they are really bad sometimes they cannot be removed as they seem to etch the cowlings. After they are removed it is best to apply a wax to the motor cowling.
[signature]
Thanks MERCURYMAN. What are you thoughts on using CLR?
[signature]
I have used CLR on painted aluminum but never on cowlings, is it a plastic cowling or painted fiberglass?
[signature]
Plastic
[signature]
Sorry, It said what it was in your 1st post. I would try the ducky water spot remover or the vinegar/water solution before anything.
[signature]
Ralph,

Go to Wally world and grab you a can of good old Lemon pledge. It's the stuff not only on your plastic motor cowling, bot on your boat hull also. Just spray it on and rub in and off with a soft cloth. You will be pleasantly surprised.
[signature]
No way Mark. That's too dumb easy! I would rather use something more expensive and complicated. [:p]

I will definately have to give that a try ... next time.

I say next time because I tried CLR full strength and it really worked good. With it cleaned, well rinsed, and dried, I put a good coat of wax and I am quite pleased.

But maybe after retruning home after each trip, I may just wipe her down with Lemon Pledge.

Thanks Mark, Jim and all.
[signature]
That's what I do coot, takes about 15 minutes, looks great.
[signature]
Being OCD AND a boater who used to spend more time polishing the boat down after a water ski session than we did skiing...

Vinegar and water, 50/50 mix. It's the same stuff that Ducky is made out of and the same basic composition of CLR. If you need a stronger mix, get something with a high acedic (sp?) content, (vinegar contains acedic acid but is diluted) and dilute it with water, but wear gloves. Been down that road many times! Every boater should carry a spray bottle of 50/50 vinegar and water....it's the best, and it's cheap! Try it...you've already got some vinegar in the pantry...so it's a free test! You will be shocked and amazed!

Lake Powell and Lake Mead are the WORST. After 3 or 4 days on the water, we pull the boat out and get out the vinegar and water mix (we have it in spray bottles), give everyone a spray bottle and a rag, and have at it. Boat polishes out like new!

Knowing you like I know you...I 'm surprised you didn't already know this trick! Your equipment always looks spotless to me!
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Good info Randy. But since my motors are all spffed up now, maybe I will have to give it a try on my alumunum tub.
[signature]
The boys are right on the money about the lemon spray furniture polish.
I've been using it for years and it works great as long as you don't leave the hard water spots stay on too long.
I buy mine at the dollar stores by the case. as long as it says "LEMON" on the can it will work.
It also puts a light coat of furniture wax on the boat.
For your lower unit Lee's Marine carries a product that is amazing for taking the scaling off. Can't remember the name right off hand but it works great.
[signature]