Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tubing and Tooning Buyers' Guide
[cool][#0000ff]If anybody is considering buying new or upgrading anything related to float tubes or pontoons you may wish to review the [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=724374;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]2012 BUYERS' GUIDE[/url] we just put together on the float tubing board. It contains information and pricing for most of the most worthy models of tubes and toons...plus similar for waders, fins, footwear, sonar, etc.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The ice is going fast. Time to go afloat.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
LLBean and Patagonia for the waders and boots also Oh, and those Orvis Dorks...LOL
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]New links added.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff](Even the Orvis dorks)[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the info TD. I should upgrade. Now I just have to look around but budget constraints will keep me out of the $500.00 number[:/]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Where are your priorities man? Don't you know that new gear always takes precedence over silly nonessential things like food, mortgage, car payments and that kinda stuff?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Do you have top register tubes or toones if they have a motor on them?
[signature]
Yes you have to register them if you put a motor on and you also have to have the appropriate muscle certs as well. Doesn't seem fair but guess it's the law. I have to spend more on this kind of stuff than the toon cost to start with. Especially if you go to Idaho or Wyoming in your toon, it can cost $75 or more a year to get on the water.
[signature]
Seems pretty stupid, but hey they gotta start working on that trillion dollars of debt somehow right?
[signature]
[quote Kyle_lauchie]Do you have top register tubes or toones if they have a motor on them?[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]What is even worse is that the folks at th DMV often don't even know how to register a float tube or pontoon. You have to take a picture of it along with your receipt for purchase. Then, in addition to the annual registration fee ($37) they charge you tax on your purchase price too...just like for a car or boat.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also, if you are going to register a watercraft of any kind you need to check with DMV to see which locations can do it. Some don't.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yep I keep telling myself that!![laugh]
[signature]
Quick question on this thread. Do any of you experienced tooners have suggestions on brands or models to buy / not to buy? I have my boat, but found that I'm less able to use it now that the family wants the camp trailer with us. Looking to get a pair of inexpensive toons that I can throw in the back of the truck. Don't really need to option to add the motor as I don't want to pay the registration fees (ouch!).
Not sure where all I will be using it, but will likely just be on lakes. Mill Meadow, probably Strawberry, and possibly East canyon are the first that come to mind. Oh, and the Stansbury lake / pond as that's where I live.

Anyway, suggestions appreciated as I'm probably buying in the next day or two.
[signature]
Welcome to boat ownership!!!!! Ya got to pay play now! Sucks huh?
[signature]
I believe next year all pontoons and float tubes are required by law to have hin numbers physically on the craft.. that should help things at the Dmv.. hopefully.
[signature]
Yup everytime you try to do anything they want another "C" note. Strange how my wage is going down and all my bills are going up. Glad I got one of those lifetime licenses that's my only hedge against inflation. The Sad part of this license deal is everything has to be licensed whether you use them once a year or daily and they are priced at a daily rate and my free time hardly allows a couple times a year at best.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]If you are on a budget, look at the Sportsmans line of toons. Good quality for a decent price.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Don't get the Creek Company cheapies. They are poorly made and have lots of problems. Ditto for some of the Classic Accessories models. They are made strictly for the price market...not serious tooners. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you find something interesting feel free to post up a request for member input on the main board here. We want you to be able to enjoy your new ride without making a bad buying decision.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Look on KSL.com and Craigslist. Often some good buys there. Also, you should post a WTB ad on the Utah board's 4 sale board. This time of year a lot of folks are upgrading or getting out.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote bigfish22]I believe next year all pontoons and float tubes are required by law to have hin numbers physically on the craft.. that should help things at the Dmv.. hopefully.[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Not trying to be confrontational, but where did you get that information? It will be almost impossible to implement and enforce since a high percentage of tubes and toons are made "offshore" and are not subject to such regulations. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In talking with Utah DMV folks they agree that the best they can do is assign a registration number for craft that are motorized...and have no reason to administer simple recreational tubes or toons. It would be a nightmare for them to try to keep track of those "toys" along with all the motorized vehicles in their system.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TD, can you tell me which DMV location you go to when registering your tube? I just called the DMV to see what info I needed to bring in to get mine registered and they wanted me to bring it in for them to inspect and said I needed a VIN number and a certificate of origin. If I did not have these then I would have to have it inspected by an officer of the law to verify that it did not come with a VIN or C of O.........what the????????
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The folks at DMV need edumacatin' on tubes and toons. Most of them don't got a clue. Even when you tell them they are inflatable watercraft and are not manufactured with hull numbers they just get a glassy look in their eyes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Take a picture of your craft...hopefully with the motor installed so they can see what you are talking about. Then take a copy of the receipt or bill of sale...because they want to charge you a tax when you first register it. There will likely be some head scratching and a high level conference with at least 10 other DMV personnel but they will eventually assign you a number and give you the stickers. Then you have to buy the numbers and letters and figure out how to mount them. The pockets on your craft will help.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was given two DMV locations for registering watercraft. One in Draper on Minuteman Drive and one at 380 W. 2880 South in Salt Lake. I went to the Salt Lake office twice...to register both my tube and TubeBabes. The first trip was the worst. I had copies of that paperwork on the second so I could show them what they needed to do. That went a lot faster. But they don't give discounts for helping them do their job.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I bought a 9' Classic accessories boat from Costco about a month ago. it seems almost identical in construction to the Colorado, just with different badging/ coloring. for $299 i figured i couldnt go wrong. this is my first pontoon, so i wasnt sure if it would work the same as my "old Reliable" float tube. have had it out a couple times now with no complaints. seems sturdy so far, we'll see how it stands the test of time.

Rigged it with a 30lb thrust minn-kota, with 30" shaft. had to flip the motor mount and modify slightly to make sure the 30" shaft work in all conditions. the prop had a tendency to come out of the water on the crest of larger waves. 36" may be the best option for this particular boat, but got a screaming deal from Sportsmans Whse. $109, minus $20 instant online rebate, and $15 rebate from minn kota.About 80 bucks with tax OTD. and free site to store shipping to midvale store.

the more expensive(and often overlooked) part is a good quality deep cycle battery and charger. you need lots of reserve capacity and amp hours if you plan on using it all day.

also modified the tiller so it wasnt directly behind me, makes it impossible to steer. just had to re-drill the hole in the composite shaft. it's at a 45 degree angle now, and works great.

as tube dude says beware of the DMV. bring sales reciept, Hull ID numbers(if your boat has one), pictures etc... so you get charged correctly. that was actually the biggest pain in this process. [mad] the tooele DMV actually made me have a police officer come out to the house and sign an avadavit before they would license the thing. cut a a flexible sheet plexiglass for the numbers, it's working great so far. rounded the edges with a file, so there isnt any chance of puncturing a pontoon. not sure what kind of plaques others have built or bought??

if you dont need the extended range, or trolling capability that a motor offers, the added expense (approx $250+) and hassle for the motor may not be worth it to you.

Hope this helps.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The Colorado IS made by Classic Accessories. They used to label it for Trout Unlimited. Now I guess they are labeling for Costco. At any rate that is a decent toon. I have helped trick out a few and have fished with several members who have owned them. Basically pretty solid and well worth the price. But a bit bigger and heavier than some. That's not all bad if you have the vehicle for carrying one...or two.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The Minnkota 30 is a great starter motor for tubes or toons but most who get it find that the 30" shaft is just a teensy bit shorter than they would like. Moving up to the slightly more expensive 40 will give you both more power and a 36" shaft. That's what I did for my tube. Lots more options for adjusting the height.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here are a couple of pics of an aftermarket steering control setup for easier steering on a center mounted motor behind you.[/#0000ff]
[signature]