Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat question (registration)
I haven't tried looking this up yet, and I am sure I can find it somewhere. But I am being lazy right now (as I am working on a group project due today). My little boat is registered here in Utah, obviously. But I need to know what the Idaho regulations are for out of state boats. I figured someone here is familiar with that and can tell me what I need to go or just give me a link to something.

Thanks for any help!
[signature]
I took my Wyo. registered boat to Idaho last spring. The only thing I had to do was get mussle certified before launching. To be safe check with Idaho Fish and game
[signature]
Just need that $20 invasive species sticker.

http://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/stic...chase.aspx
[signature]
Also - don't forget to stop at the check point when you cross the border. Just before La-Tienda, if that's the road you pass.

I gotta get me one of those (thanks for the link FG) - so I guess you gotta have one per boat, not like a paper you can put in your windshield or transfer around?

As for the registration - your home-state registration covers your boat's use in other states.

So you gonna get an Idaho license so you can come chase big bass and super perch up north? There's some musky up that way too I'm told!
Yup. I wanna get into some bass somewhere other than here. Newton is going to be overcrowded with knuckleheads who ignore little boats like mine this summer. If I am going to drive half an hour, I would rather go somewhere else other than Mantua.
[signature]
Good luck with the Bass Hunt. I am waiting to see how many trips I can squeeze with Gas prices to exceed $4. Every summer, something uncontrolable happens...do they really think we are that stupid? I guess so.

Yes you have to have a sticker for every boat which really is lame. I mean, I will either use my Aluminum, or my X5 but I can't use both at the same time.
[signature]
Thanks for the info! And I too am interested to see just how much I will be able to fit in to my little budget. And I agree with you on the different stickers. Lame, indeed.
[signature]
AND to top it off, if you have a pontoon over 10' or any size with a motor, pkus a boat, you have to get a sticker for each
[signature]
I never wanted to pony up the dough for an out of state license, etc - but I've heard multiple people make some pretty lusty claims about bass fishing north of the border. Multiple options near Preston alone!

Assuming I make enough money to cover the essentials, and have a few bucks to spare, I'm hoping to explore up there myself.
[signature]
Unfortunately if you pay some cash you are mussel free. Same thing with WY. I like the fact that they are making people aware of invasive mussels and that's important but I'd rather be forced to pay to have my boat cleaned before I can launch rather than pay for a sticker saying that I'm mussel free. Sad to say it but the "honor system" has gone to $hit. I know, I know, cry me a river.
Thank you for taking the time to find out what the rules are, that says a lot about who you are as a fisherman and I respect that.
[signature]
Quote:Thank you for taking the time to find out what the rules are, that says a lot about who you are as a fisherman and I respect that.

I appreciate that. I do my best to make sure I am within the limits on everything. Just how my dad taught me. I love fishing and don't ever want to be assumed to be one of those who make it worse for the ones who do what is right.

I understand too where you are coming from with the sticker. Saying and doing are two different things, and hopefully for most people, what is said means it is also done. It is with me, that's for sure.
[signature]
Absolutely. Plus it is our waters we are protecting. I only hope that money goes towards a control or prevention.
[signature]
Wait.... I have to register my pontoon boat? I just got it for Christmas and have only had it on the water one time -- that would've been awesome to get a ticket for that. Blech.
Only if you have a motor on it. If you don't it is fine. Idaho is 10' and smaller no sticker. But if you have a motor on it (even a tube) you need the sticker.

Utah is only if you have a motor. You could have a 16' boat that need no licenses but if you add a small little electric motor, you need to license it.
[signature]
Well, piss. I just put a small trolling motor on it. It's an old P.O.S. Minkota, but it works. I assume I can do this at the local DMV? Or is there a special place for boats only? (man, I sound dumb)
[signature]
http://local.dmv.org/utah/salt-lake-coun...ations.php
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]This probably will not apply to you, but there is one caveat to not having to register in Idaho if you have a Utah registered boat there; Vessels properly registered in another state and on Idaho waters for 60 or fewer consecutive days don't have to be registered in Idaho.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I think that means, if you move to Idaho. Out of staters don't need to register their boats in another state. But you do need that sticker and i have seen boats get ticketed for not having one.

I do have a friend that lives here in Utah but was registering his boat in WY. because it was cheaper. Utah caught on[:/]
[signature]
Yup - anything more than oars and flippers - and you've taken the next step. FG or others can give you tips on how they make a 'plackard' for their vessel-id numbers.
I know some places that could do you a nice vinyl banner with grommets!

So - in Idaho you have to shell out for a sticker for each float vessel, and in Utah you either fill out the form, or do the online registration for Muscle safety, then you can carry it - one in your car window, and one in your vessel - no charge.

I still need to do this years! If I just knock the last snow off the boat tarp, and mix up some fresh gas!!!
[quote flygoddess]I think that means, if you move to Idaho. Out of staters don't need to register their boats in another state.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]No disrespect intendedf flygoddess, but my earlier post actually means exactly what it says. If you take your Utah (or any other state) registered boat into Idaho and use it there for 61 or more consecutive days, then you must legally register it in Idaho. The purpose of the move to Idaho matters not; be it a permanant move, a visit to friends or family, an extended stay in an RV park, etc. If the boat is used in Idaho for 61 or more consecutive days, Idaho law requires that it be registered in Idaho. I've had a first hand experience with this issue myself and know it to be fact.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]And again, that part of the law probably does not apply to the situation Bama Boy was asking about.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."