Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5 wire Umbrella Rigs
Hello Guys, On another one of our forums that runs a tournament trail there is a huge debate about 5 wire Umbrella Rigs being fished in the tournament and a lot of heat over the fact they are shutting the baits down because it's illegal to fish them in Tenn.

Just curious if anyone has fished these and their experience? Also are they legal in your state. According to one of the tournament committee members I spoke to today the baits are unbelievable and catch a ton of fish.

Just curious how much everyone knows about them?
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
I've read up on them quite a bit, but not used one.

They are primarily effective in shad lakes. They are a tool for when you know where the schooling baitfish are, but it isn't a "search lure".

Narrow in on your target at a time when they're ripping into schools of baitfish and you're in for fun. Otherwise, you're just hauling water.
[signature]
I think every bait has it's time and place. Right now there is a lot of hype over the umbrella rig, the contraversy of legality is just adding to the hype-I bet lure manafacturers are loving it. This has been brought up before and I posted an e-mail I recieved from the president of the Utah Bass Federation talking about legality in tournaments and in Utah in general.
Differrent states have different rules about numbers of hook or baits or hooks on baits on one line. I haven't used one myself but I've been immersed on how great they are... I think they would make a great search bait on a windy day where you could drift in the wind and not burn up the trolling motor batteries. I'd like to try one, I've got a couple places where I think they would work pretty well.
[signature]
I just picked one up two months ago. We use a larger setup on salt water and it works great. 5 Bluefish on a wire is something else. Looking forward to trying it when it gets warm.
I'm not sure it's good for tournaments, no skill required to use it. We use it as a meat rig on the salty.
[signature]
Has anyone used them on Walleye? Ron
[signature]
[quote fsh4fun05] . . . I'd like to try one, I've got a couple places where I think they would work pretty well.[/quote]

So-a you gonna post up those GPS points for us (ribbing!)

I think I've seen things like these - don't they use them in coastal waters - looks like a whole school of baitfish, or squiddies. Also some Crappie rigs for vertical presentation.
Now our limit in Utah is on hooks, so could you have a rig out there with only a couple hooks, but a set of decoys or attractors. Like Pop gear, but in a fan instead of a line?

Anyone got a picture of one of these Umbrella rigs?
Here you go. [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/16335/cat/686"][Image: animals_005.JPG][/url]
[signature]
Here is an interesting video about this in Tenn.

[url "http://www.nooga.com/154275/twra-produces-video-explaining-legal-alabama-rigs-for-bass-anglers/"]http://www.nooga.com/154275/twra-produces-video-explaining-legal-alabama-rigs-for-bass-anglers/[/url]
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
That's a good video, thanks.
[signature]
It appears here in ct. we also have the three hook max.[frown] I'll have to run two hookless.
[signature]
[quote CoyoteSpinner][quote fsh4fun05] . . . I'd like to try one, I've got a couple places where I think they would work pretty well.[/quote]

So-a you gonna post up those GPS points for us (ribbing!)

I think I've seen things like these - don't they use them in coastal waters - looks like a whole school of baitfish, or squiddies. Also some Crappie rigs for vertical presentation.
Now our limit in Utah is on hooks, so could you have a rig out there with only a couple hooks, but a set of decoys or attractors. Like Pop gear, but in a fan instead of a line?

Anyone got a picture of one of these Umbrella rigs?[/quote]

Fish Tech did a demo on Hooked on Utah. You are correct, two lures (and remember, each lure can have up to three hooks) and the rest blades, hookless lures, as you said, Attractors.
[signature]