Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to the game
Hello everyone,

I just found the board the other day and have been reading and learning a lot from all your post. It great information.

I've started fishing again this year after many years of not doing much, and I would like to try my hand at float tubing. I'm going to sell some old scuba gear and buy a tube. I've got some neoprene wadders and my scuba fins, I'm not sure what else I would need to get started except a tube.

After reading this board most folks have said good things about the fishcat4 and the fatcat tubes. I'm 5"8" and 190lbs. I'm thinking that the fatcat would work well for me for many years. The prices online are around $350. Not sure what they are locally, but that seems ok.

I live in Utah and want to be able to get off the bank this summer, and fish the Uinta lakes too.

I know nothing about float tubing but what Ive read. I plan on getting something within the next month. I want to have a tube that Ill be happy with, while not going overboard, something that I can add accesiories to over time, be safe on the water, and be able to walk in to an alpine lake with.

Fishcat, Fatcat, Supercat?
Where to buy? Amazon, ebay, online, or locally. I live in Salt Lake, UT.
Is $350 to much to spend on my first Tube?

Thanks
[signature]
Hello Brandon,
Been a while for me also, like starting over. I have been reading the forums and some people seem to like the pontoons. I just purcheased a Bucks Bags thru Amazon for $400.00 shipping was included. I don't know about the quality, but it is built in the U.S. I am an old fat guy and would have trouble get in and out of a tube, but I can still sit down real good. JG
[signature]
I think that you, Brandon, would benefit from picking the brains of TubeDude since he's also in Utah and is basically THE book of knowledge regarding tubing. I've been on the side reading often and posting little, but what I can tell you is that he's been doing as long as anyone and you could do well to learn from his experience. I'm certainly not saying that he's the only person with experience on his forum, because you'll soon find that there are many.

You're doing the right thing in asking before purchasing. I was given an old u-tube and used it once before upgrading to an ODC420 and haven't regretted it one bit. Look around and see what fits your style of fishing, your body type/size, and surely as important, your budget.
[signature]
A trip to sportmans warehouse and or cabelas may be needed.

Is there any Differance between the Fatcat and the Supercat other than the inflatabe seat and is it worth 70$ extra dollars.

The fishcat4 delux may work well too. I would like to know what other Utah anglers find work well around here. It can get windy and the lakes become choppy fast. I'm not planning on going out to far and I want to get off the banks.
[signature]
Hey welcome to the forum! You have come to the right place. First question from us is what kind of fishing do you prefer? Then we can go from there. For your size the fatcat is the way to go. From the foam seat or the inflatable seat is pretty much preference. My wife has the FC4 and loves it.
[signature]
Bucks bags are a real good quality toon. They are an Idaho company.
[signature]
Most of my fishing is for trout. I mostly use bait, lures, and bubble and fly or bait. Ilike to go to Grantsville, Jordanell, Strawberry and the unita lakes. And once a summer head up to the Kemmer area. Im open to most kind fishing and I like to eat some of my catch, big is good.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard. Hope you can work your way through it and that you buy wisely...for you.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]At your weight you are right on the fence between Fish Cat and Fat Cat. If the budget will stand it you will likely be happier with the larger size and extra floatation of the Fat Cat. That will be especially true if you start adding sonar, battery, rod racks and other stuff that increases the weight and decreases the available space.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The Fish Cat will float you with no problem...up to about 250 pounds without riding too low. But if you have a chance to compare the ride of the two you will likely prefer sitting higher and drier in the Fat Cat. However, if you plan to use your craft for backpacking the Fish Cat is a bit lighter.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]With all the super deals online these days there is little reason for walking into a tackle emporium and plunking down full retail price. Even the big boys have sales and still offer the return service and warranties. But there are increasingly more outlets on eBay and other sites that offer great discounts. Just be sure to check out the store before you buy. Look for a good track record and backup.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]So spend some time visiting the manufacturers websites listed in the Buyers Guide and become familiar with the options and features...and the price differences. Ask your questions here on the forum and once you have some confidence in a specific model then start shopping.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And no, $350 is not too much to invest in a GOOD tube. Better to spend a bit more than you wanted than not quite enough. Worrying about poor quality while out on the water is a Sad tradeoff for getting a great buy on an inferior product.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Either will be a good choice. The SFC is the best especially if you have it tricked out by TubeDude. he has done both for me and what an experience. I have both and you are welcome to try both of mine if you like. Where in Utah are you?[Smile]
[signature]