Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cold waters
[bobWink]
I want to start fishing for catfish but the water up in PA is still freezing cold. Is that too cold to catch any or is there a certain way to get em?
[signature]
What kind of cats? River or lake?
[signature]
it is a river that i have not fished at yet so my guess would be channel cats. there is a small dam. i was under the impression that below the damn would be better, then i saw a bunch of empty chicken liver containers above the dam
[signature]
Your going to want to find the deepest holes around. Fish when a warm front is going through a few days of warmer weather. Use cut bait or livers on a slip rig. Your going to want to use smaller hooks size 4-1 is what i like and smaller bait in cold water. Watch your line careful and leave aittle slack the bites will be really light. Hope that helps i have caught them all year even in february here in utah.
[signature]
Thanks. I'll have to give that a try. Does above or below the dam matter? or just wherever the deep holes are? We dont get too many dams around here so thats why im clueless
[signature]
If your fishing by a dam, then that should be a prime fishing hole. Look for bait fishing moving,
good structures, deep patches with current, breaks in the water around structure or tail
waters usually pay off with cats.

You can catch cats in the cold though. They might be slower and not as active of hunters
but they are still lurkin. I actually had my funnest catting night on the miss river during december.
was around 45-50degrees f. here in louisiana. I have seen pics of guys upnorth heavly
dressed in hunting camo fishing for flatheads. Just how much can your body take.
[signature]