Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is a 9ft 5wt ok for small streams?
So I was hoping someone could give me some advice on a good size rod for fishing the provo down to something like the size of hobble creek. I just bought my first fly rod the other day and I got a good deal on it but it is a 9ft 5 wt and Im worried that it is going to be too big to fish the waters that I usually fish, like diamond fork or thistle creek or even parleys creek. I can take it back but they only had 7.5 ft and 9 ft rods in the price bracket that im comfortable with.

Any advice would be appreciated!
[signature]
It should be just fine. A four weight would be nicer but if the five is what there is, there is no reaso it won't work.
The nine foot will be nice for the different drifts on the Provo, and long/high sticking on the creeks.
Just remember it is nine feet when trapsing through the brush.

If this is all that is available to you, it will work fine, but there is always room for improvement like anything else.
[signature]
Back east I fished my 8'-0" 4-WT almost exclusively for stream trout... except for chasing river smallmouth (9'-0", 6/7-WT).

IMO, a 9'-0" 5-WT is perfect for the middle/lower Provo, and bigger streams... it may be a bit of a pain on smaller streams though (depending on the size, and amount of tree cover).
[signature]
I have fished every kind of stream there is in Utah and Idaho and have used a 9 foot five weight the entire time. It gets in the way on super small and bushy streams but it still works. And you can get into some lake fishing. That other size is too small for most lakes but not all.
[signature]
thats a good all around choice if you can only get one rod/reel. Very vesitile for all size fish and waters. If you do a lot of small streams, save some money and by a 7' 6" 3wt. I bought a redington pursuit this last summer and love it. I use it on the logan and the weber, and it handles great, even big 18" browns and rainbows. It is a little more difficult to cast in the wind, and large nymphs with a lot of weight. Thats what makes the 9' 5wt great. it will handle it all. good luck
[signature]
I have a 9fter fly rod and i go flyfishing up in the tough spots in american fork creek up high and up in snowbird as well so u should be ok just watch your cast. [fishon]
[signature]
It certainly can be done. My personal favorite rod length and wt are 8 and half feet and 4 wt when it comes to the trade off of casting distance, accuracy and size of flies the rod best handles. That said I always use a shorter lighter rod on small streams because I find it more enjoyable. Not sure who much you spent on the 9 ft 5wt but you usually get want you pay for with a rod like that. However if you find yourself wanting a shorter lighter rod for the small streams later I'd suggest not spending much money. Make sure you can cast well with what ever you get but a premium rod offers relatively little over a good entry level rod when 99+ % of your trout will be under 18 inches, typical casts are under 30 feet and the current of the stream likely not too great. A good rod for small and brushy streams to me would be a 6 to 7 and a half foot 2-3 wt rod. Reel is totally unimportant at that size in my book so don't spend much there if you do eventually get a second setup.
[signature]
Thanks for all the responses guys! I decided 9 ft was a little too big for the waters I usually fish so I returned it and ordered an 8' 6'' 5 wt and it should be here in a few days. I know its not a big difference but I think it may be a little more manageable on smaller streams.

Here is a link to the rod/reel combo...

http://www.cabelas.com/fly-fishing-rod-r...ts-1.shtml

It is a Cabelas Wind River combo for only $65 with a promotional $2 shipping. Its usually $110 and has great reviews. So it could be a great gift for someone who needs a starter!
[signature]
That should work great.
[signature]
I strictly fish a 8' 6" on everything from 3wt to to a 9 wt. I find you loose a little bit of distance but gain more accuracy.
[signature]