Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trout Bait/Colors
I'm looking to re-up with some new tackle for the spring season. I had some good luck in the streams, catching smaller brookies pretty often with a rainbow pattern rooster tail last season but am looking to catch bigger trout. Any advice on a better bait (lure or live) that I might have bigger results? From streams to lakes, I'll chase em all
[signature]
I found that jointed rapalas work really well up in the Uintas well practically everywhere. I just bought a HD Trout made by Dynamic Lures and I've caught a 16" rainbow the first time I casted it out.
[signature]
The lure that i would suggest is Rapala. For decent sized rivers and lakes i would use suspending. Depending on the cIearity of the water i would use bright red/yellow/green. For nice clear water use brown, clearish, white, or rainbow patterns, nature colors. I am pretty good when it comes to catching big trout. I have many videos you can check out here is video of me using a bright yellow and red rapala.
[url "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7h2VZD8slI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7h2VZD8slI[/url]
[signature]
My top choices would be: real minnows, rapalas, or jigs. Jigs are extremely versatile. You can rig a minnow onto a jig, or my favorite, a berkely minnow grub. Marabou jigs are also a good choice.
[signature]
floating rapalas in the rainbow trout and vampire colors are my favorite, little cleo's and cast masters produce big fish as well. if you really take the time to figure out how to fish a threaded live worm with a small split shop or no weight at all you can really catch big fish in streams. one of my favorite things to do is brown trout in the fall, when the koke's move into the streams to spawn the browns move in right behind them and eat their eggs like a bad habit. use any kind of egg pattern and hold on. I grew up fish and guiding in ca and i'll tell you these way's can and will produce huge fish
tight lines
[signature]