Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It is with sadness I report...
Hello all, it has been a long time since I have been on the forum. Last year I was in an accident and injured my knee and it has all gone downhill since. I have been diagnosed with a severe nerve disorder called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome which has prevented me from doing anything I used to do for the last year. I haven't stepped foot in a river for a year now, and I couldn't read the posts or see the pictures of your successes without going into depression. Looks like I may be stuck with this condition for the rest of my life, and as a result, I may have to give up the one thing that I used for therapy and one of the true joys of my life--fly fishing. The doctors hope to give me some relief but there isn't a cure, so there is a small glimmer of hope I can step foot in the river, but that glimmer is growing dimmer and dimmer. I will miss a lot of poster on this form, I'm looking at you FlyGoddess, and will miss taking part in the fly swaps as well. Everyone take care.

katghoti
[signature]
Sorry to hear that! Hang in there. There is always hope, and usually a way.

Is it the pain meds or the knee that is limiting your activity? Can you fish from a boat or pontoon?
[signature]
Wondered why he haven't heard from you for a while. Like Cpeirce suggested look at altering your approach such as float tube if possible.
Hang in there.
[signature]
I am truly sorry to hear that. That is a hard hand to be dealt. Hopefully they can figure out a treatment plan that will help, and like others said, maybe fishing from a boat or shore could at least get you out sometimes.
[signature]
Thanks all for the supportive words. This pain is not a typical pain you feel, this pain is being transmitted by the sympathetic nervous system so the pain is always on no matter what I do, sit, stand, walk, run, whatever. So regular pain meds like aspirin, lortab will not work so I am on anti-seizure and anti-depression medications which have change me and my personality some. This is a nasty fight, and it looks like a long fight I hope to overcome, but may not. One day I hope to fish again, and I may get the urge to tie again we'll see.

That being said, keep up with the pics and stories, at least I can relive the trips I have been on.

Tight lines everyone!

Katghoti
[signature]
I looked up a little on it. That is a nasty one for sure!

I have been in a lot of pain before, but I really have no clue what you are dealing with. If you can, get out for even a short time. Maybe to some of the ponds in town with some friends. Both the social and the outdoors seems to help me when dealing with things like pain.

Good luck and keep doing what you can.
[signature]
If you were in California - one might suggest an alternative medical prescription that's known to help chronic pain suffers. Hear it's common for cancer patients.

Pain sux. Very sorry to hear it. Especially when it keeps you from things you enjoy.
[quote CoyoteSpinner]If you were in California - one might suggest an alternative medical prescription that's known to help chronic pain suffers. Hear it's common for cancer patients.

Pain sux. Very sorry to hear it. Especially when it keeps you from things you enjoy.[/quote]

That's called WEED....LOL

KAT my friend. I am so sorry to hear this. I really want to fish with you so keep that in mind will ya. I will do anything to help you do this.
[signature]
Thanks so much, if I can get back on the river, I'll try to connect up ASAP so I can learn from one of the best. Interesting someone brought up weed. Mark Shurtlif (sp) AG for Utah was going through cancer treatment and said he could sympathize with someone in pain wanting to take a bit of relaxation with weed. When you hurt this bad, pain consumes your life and takes over both your physical and mental state, robs you of sleep and alters your personality. I would love to light up just to feel something other than pain.

I hope to get through this, but I found my insurance will not pay for a treatment that may put this into remission or cut the pain back enough for me to live normal. So I now have to dig up the cash out of pocket. Thinking of selling some of my fishing gear to pay Sad. I'll show up and post an update after this next procedure and we'll see how it goes. The drug they will use is a derivative of PCP and I am on a drug called Dilaudid (look that one up!), hope it will knock the pain down a little.

katghoti
[signature]
I do find it really frustrating that marijuana has such a stigma as a medicine, but things like Oxycontin and Lortab are fine in most people's eyes, even though they are addictive and dangerous. Pot really does have some good uses medicinally. I hope that someday it can be utilized here in Utah for people that need it. In any case, I hope that the treatment you are able to get helps you get back to a more normal life.
[signature]
+1
Unfortunately, Utah will be the last state to sign up for such open-mindedness. Kat, I hope you can find some relief and ultimately get back out on the water.
[signature]
We can make a difference:

http://www.mpp.org/states/utah/
[signature]
I really wasn't trying to 'openly' openly suggest anything, but . . . another can of worms - opened. You ring a note gs - what passes as legal, yet what does not. Utah supposedly has one of the highest addictions to under the counter meds, yet has such an upstanding attitude towards alcohol, tobacco, and yes - evil drugs like - - - marijawana.

Plus - if your deal is with "smoke" - there's always lollipops and brownies! (quite a few good laughs at Showtime's Weeds series! Aggrestic! I bet THEY had some nice bass-ponds in that neighborhood!)

But - sorry to rank off the thread topic. I do really hope you are able to find some suitable pain treatment. I have been there (somewhat) enough to know how a chronic pain can just cause constant irritation, and just leave ya damned cranky and snappy! For no fault of your own.

Best of wishes, and hopes for future fishes!
Thanks for posting that link, I will definitely do my part, the laws need to be changed.

Coyote, pain med abuse is definitely a serious problem in The Beehive State. You also have a huge portion of the population taking anti depressants, but heaven forbid somebody has a beer now and then. It's straight to Hell with them.

Anyway, I don't want to go off on a tangent about all this since that's not what this thread is about. It's just really frustrating, especially as a nurse, to see these things happening in our state.
[signature]
Oh man, Dilaudid is a God send. I've got chronic liver issues which cause me to produce gall stones etc and Dilaudid is the only thing out there that even sniffs the pain -- it takes about three seconds after an injection to go from a 10 on the pain scale to a 0.

I hope that crap works for you man, I really do.
[signature]
Damn, sorry to hear that, best wishes bud.
[signature]