Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anderson Ranch Reservoir
What do you know about this res? I see the limits on kokanee are fairly liberal at 25. I usually fish ririe in June just wonderin if this place heats up a little quicker. and if there is any size to the koke's there?

Any camping to be had nearby just looking for a tent spot?

Thanks
[signature]
In my experience there are a ton of kokanee but they tend to be on the smaller size. There is lot's of descent trout in there and I've pulled lots of bull trout out, probably on a 20 to 1 ratio for bulltrout from anderson vs anywhere else I've fished. Early in the year the kokes all school up and cruise the shore, it looks cool when the water is shimmering silver but I still haven't caught one when they are doing that.
[signature]
Haven't fished Anderson in a few years,but it was great for kokanee when you timed it right...there is camping to be had at the dam end...and camping up reservoir in the area of pine...
[signature]
I've only fished for kokanee twice but both times at Anderson Ranch and did pretty good. Fish were only about 12-14" so not very big but went last year for the weekend toward the end of June and caught 30 or so trolling at different depths. Also, I basically don't know what I'm doing when it comes to trolling so if you're experienced you could probably do very well there. And yeah, there's lots of camping and it's fairly big so there's lots of water to fish.
[signature]
Best fishing is later in the season when the kokes are staging in the upper end. Go back to the posts at this site and particularly Idaho Kokanee on the Kokanee Fishing Forum, a cousin to this site during last summer. The beauty of these two sites is that you can go back and see just what was happening at any given time. Mike
[signature]
I'm sure you did put those many bull trout back since we can't keep any of those species :-) . I've never caught a bull trout in Anderson so far.
[signature]
Thanks everyone that was very helpful, The kokes in Ririe are generally not mush bigger thogh I did have some above 15" last year.
[signature]
Trust me, there are Bull trout in the reservoir but in general, I believe that they're much more plentiful in the S. Fork up above Featherville. I also think that while they are certainly still an endangered species in some Idaho drainages, after catching 8 in one day last summer, I have my doubts about them truly being endangered in the upper S. Fork of the Boise.

Here's a pic from a few years back that I took at Anderson Ranch of a fairly large Bull trout that I caught. I know that technically and more important legally you're not supposed to even remove them from the water but I couldn't resist the photo op. I did take extra time to revive the fish and it swam away briskly after I was done taking this one picture, in case anyone is wondering.

I was just up at Anderson last weekend and surprisingly it is already nearly full. I didn't catch anything but also didn't spend much time there. The catch and release fishing in the river below Anderson dam afterward was excellent however.
[signature]
I found one so far up a trib on the south fork that it was actually trapped in a little puddle. I think there are a lot of them up there. Ron
[signature]
Nice fish ! [Image: happy.gif] I was wondering if the ice was still around the launch area at Anderson. A friend that has a cabin up there, recently told me there was still some ice [frown] I'm itching to get my "new to me" boat up there [Smile]
[signature]
I fished off the bank for a few minutes near the Elk Creek ramp by the dam. I suppose that tt's possible that there's still some ice on the upper end but near the dam, it was completely ice free. There was some muddy spots in the parking area but the roadway into the ramp was wide open. Since there's plenty of water in the reservoir, launching a boat in that area would be no problem at all. If you decide to make a trip up there, I hope you have a great time with the boat.
[signature]
[quote Westslopecutt] I know that technically and more important legally you're not supposed to even remove them from the water but I couldn't resist the photo op. I did take extra time to revive the fish and it swam away briskly after I was done taking this one picture, in case anyone is wondering.[/quote]

There was a frisky debate over this a few months ago when I caught a nice one on Arrowrock...alas, F&G was called to verify rules and such. And as I suspected by the regs, you CAN remove them from the water to unhook and photograph them just as long as you return them unharmed. So if anyone gets one and wants some pics...by all means take some...Also the Bureau of Reclamation wants to know any pertinent info on the where's and hows they were caught and also if they are tagged they would like the number documented for their studies...we work with them and they work with us ya know?
[signature]
Good information, thanks for offering some clarity on the regs!

Personally I think it's only a matter of time before the Bull Trout gets delisted as an endangered species. At least in Idaho. I also have no problem with the concept of trying to help out with agencies like the Bureau of Reclamation. Is there a website we can navigate to for providing them with the details or did they give you an idea of what their preference is as far as providing information to them?
[signature]
[quote Jimbojump][quote Westslopecutt] I know that technically and more important legally you're not supposed to even remove them from the water but I couldn't resist the photo op. I did take extra time to revive the fish and it swam away briskly after I was done taking this one picture, in case anyone is wondering.[/quote]

There was a frisky debate over this a few months ago when I caught a nice one on Arrowrock...alas, F&G was called to verify rules and such. And as I suspected by the regs, you CAN remove them from the water to unhook and photograph them just as long as you return them unharmed. So if anyone gets one and wants some pics...by all means take some...Also the Bureau of Reclamation wants to know any pertinent info on the where's and hows they were caught and also if they are tagged they would like the number documented for their studies...we work with them and they work with us ya know?[/quote]

That's absolutely NOT TRUE and I wish you guys would stop spreading this false information. I contacted IDFG about that and they said it IS NOT OK to remove them from the water under any circumstance.
[signature]
i guess it depends on who you talk to. the F&G guy i talked to out at a res in SE Idaho said you may remove them from the water as well to safely get them unhooked and take a quick photo as long as they swim away unharmed.
[signature]
[quote DowntownBrowns][quote Jimbojump][quote Westslopecutt] I know that technically and more important legally you're not supposed to even remove them from the water but I couldn't resist the photo op. I did take extra time to revive the fish and it swam away briskly after I was done taking this one picture, in case anyone is wondering.[/quote]

There was a frisky debate over this a few months ago when I caught a nice one on Arrowrock...alas, F&G was called to verify rules and such. And as I suspected by the regs, you CAN remove them from the water to unhook and photograph them just as long as you return them unharmed. So if anyone gets one and wants some pics...by all means take some...Also the Bureau of Reclamation wants to know any pertinent info on the where's and hows they were caught and also if they are tagged they would like the number documented for their studies...we work with them and they work with us ya know?[/quote]

That's absolutely NOT TRUE and I wish you guys would stop spreading this false information. I contacted IDFG about that and they said it IS NOT OK to remove them from the water under any circumstance.[/quote]
I have run into this problem before. I asked two different f&g offices the same question and got two totally different answers. You need to ask a warden the people answering the phones are not typically wardens some are knowledgeable some are not. I don't want a ticket because of bad info given to me by a receptionist.
[signature]
If I was wanting some pictures, I would get the OK in writing from some official and carry the letter with me.
[signature]
I spoke to the guy in charge of the program so I was told...so Im sticking to my understanding of the rules...if they didnt want them removed from the water for any reason including pics...they should say so in the regs as they do quite clearly in reference to Sturgeon...Catch and Release ONLY! No Harvest! That is pretty damn clear to me...when the regs say DO NOT REMOVE FROM WATER! Thats pretty damn clear as well...So since I took the time to speak to someone who knows...Im comfortable with what I was told...In fact as I recall, the gal who answered the phone said she was pretty sure it was ok and I asked for someone who could say for certain since fines were possible and I dont recall his name but he was extremely knowledgable about the whole thing...In fact I recall he said the regs were more gray years back and caused some controversy so they clarified...and as for Bull trout and how they are doing...its my understanding they are borderline coming off endangered list anyway..If any F&G guys who I know frequent these sites is reading this...PLEASE set everyone straight cuz this is ridiculous...just saying
[signature]
I agree it is ridiculous, but in your post you refer to some guy and the gal who answered the phone... When you are standing in the water with a ticket about to be signed and handed to you, those kinds of references won't do you much good. A paper letter signed by someone of authority will slow down that CO's pen and get you out of a ticket.
[signature]
The regs once stated a bull trout must not be removed from the water. That reg is not listed in the current regs so . . .

I'm thinking normal C&R policies now apply. That would mean you would be able to remove the fish from the water to unhook with a photo if desired. For CPR photos we use the hold your breath method. Take a breath and when you run out of the the fish has too!
[signature]