Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most surprising fish caught
That area used to be called spring run...years ago thee were some nice trout in there.
[signature]
I hooked into a Striper on the Colorado in the Grand Canyon. I was well above the lake and thought I had no chance at seeing bass... I was after trout. Unfortunately when the fish was visible, it got a new burst of energy, took off, turned the right way, and spit out the lure. I would have loved to land that fish...
[signature]
[#4040ff]Apparently my most surprising catch was catching walleye on 5 of 6 trips in Utah through the ice. Some dude on a tube replied to a post of mine earlier this winter saying that you cant target walleyes through the ice in Utah and that any information you get from walleye fisherman is likely regurgitated stuff they read on the internet. So according to this apparent Utah fishing scholar my experiences were definately surprising. [/#4040ff]
[#4040ff][/#4040ff]
[#4040ff]Does my opinion carry more weight because I made it blue and bold? [/#4040ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Just saying you did it don't make it so. I still say that anybody who claims to be able to catch walleye every time...open water or ice...will lie about other things too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Do you have witnesses? Pictures? Seeing is believing. At this point I don't know you so you have no credibility with me. Really don't care.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Some questions.

How many ice fishing trips in this state for this season?

Of those how many times were walleye the fish targeted to catch?

Of those how many walleye were caught on said trips?
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]Just saying you did it don't make it so. I still say that anybody who claims to be able to catch walleye every time...open water or ice...will lie about other things too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Do you have witnesses? Pictures? Seeing is believing. At this point I don't know you so you have no credibility with me. Really don't care.[/#0000ff][/quote]

[#4040ff]Ill fix it for you. Any body who claims to be able to catch any species of fish every time... open water or ice will lie about other things too. [/#4040ff]
[#4040ff][/#4040ff]
[#4040ff]I never said I can catch walleye every time. I dont think you could do that anywhere or with any species realistically (trout maybe.) That doesnt mean that you cannot target them and be somewhat successful. Not being able to use live bait is a crutch but not a disability. I grew up on a lake that did not allow live bait in MT so we learned to adapt. [/#4040ff]
[#4040ff][/#4040ff]
[#4040ff]I just think it is extremely hypocritical post reports constantly then crap on somebody who you know nothing about when they try to help a fellow angler with some tips that have been learned over the last twenty years of putting walleye on the ice. [/#4040ff]
[#4040ff][/#4040ff]
[#4040ff]Yes I have some pictures, although most of the walleye caught here have not been pic worthy 14-24" eyes are delicious but nothing to write home about imo. I do have several pics of fish tacos though if you want to see those! [/#4040ff]
[#4040ff][/#4040ff]
[#4040ff]BTW I am 2 for 2 putting walleye in the boat so far this spring too. [/#4040ff]
[#4040ff][/#4040ff]
[#4040ff]I didnt realize this board was only for people you knew and had credibility with you. Sorry. [/#4040ff]
[#4040ff][/#4040ff]
attached is a pic worthy day.
[#4040ff][/#4040ff]
[#4040ff][/#4040ff]
[signature]
Several trips out. I took my daughter to Mantua several times to let her catch perch and gills. 6 days I spent focused on just walleye. 5 of those days I caught at least one, and none of those 5 days did I catch a limit.

By no stretch of the imagination was it a killer year for me putting eyes on the ice. I do however feel like I was fairly successful and at the very least qualified to post some tips for an angler getting started. I didnt realize that this was the TDF and you had to have credibility with an old timer on a float tube to post info without getting crap responses.
[signature]
[quote jiggaWHAT]Several trips out. I took my daughter to Mantua several times to let her catch perch and gills. 6 days I spent focused on just walleye. 5 of those days I caught at least one, and none of those 5 days did I catch a limit.

By no stretch of the imagination was it a killer year for me putting eyes on the ice. I do however feel like I was fairly successful and at the very least qualified to post some tips for an angler getting started. I didnt realize that this was the TDF and you had to have credibility with an old timer on a float tube to post info without getting crap responses.[/quote]Stand down buddy, stand down. Not that Tubedude needs any help, but he gets a ton of respect 'round these parts.
[signature]
TD vs JW
[Image: lobsterfight2.jpg]

On a more serious note...with all these walleyes you get jiggaWHAT why are we not fishing together! Were you fishing Willard or Utah Lake this winter?
[signature]
TubeDude > Your Mom > Science > Your Opinion > JiggaWhat
[signature]
[quote WIPERFLY]So, the amazing tale of the UL laker got me thinking. What fish from what water surprised you most? For me, I caught a really good brown trout from Willard bay 2 years ago. Going back a bit further, as a youngster, while fishing for carp in a canal in the taylorsville area, I yanked monster trout. Don't know what kind it was. I was like 10 but remember dad telling me it was a trout.[/quote]

How much do you think the fish weighed?
[signature]
Brook trout and tiger trout in the Bear River and lower Summit Creek near Smithfield about 1999. A private hatchery nearby raised both species. My friend caught the tiger trout. We figured that the tiger trout and possibly the brook trout escaped into the Bear River and swam up Summit Creek. I know there's some brookies in some of the tributaries on the national forest. I've caught some on the Cub River in Idaho. Either way a brook trout was still suprising. I heard stories of people catching several species of trout where the spring that serves the hatchery enters the Bear.
[signature]
BROWN TROUT BEAR RIVER
[signature]
[fishon] I caught a soft shell Turtle in a Lake in Illinois. I was thinking I had a whopper, and then realized it wasn't even a fish.
[signature]
i have to add a lake trout out of deer creek to this list got it yesterday 07 April 2012
[signature]
While living in Seattle, me and a buddy were winter Blackmouth (Chinook) Salmon fishing by Blake Island (West of Seattle). The salmon were biting great that day. Suddenly, my rod went double and the fight was on with a Harbor Seal! He had come up behind my salmon and inhaled it, along with my double-hook squid rig. I fought him for 40-minutes until he finally chewed through my mainline. The bugger came up near the boat with my flasher still dangling out the corner of his mouth. I hope he learned his lesson, to not steal salmon from fisherman...really wanted that flasher back[mad]
[signature]