Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most surprising fish caught
A Shimano Reel attached to Ugly stick out of Schofield. [Wink]
[signature]
Last year at Powell I was catfishing after the sun went down. I was reeling in after missing a hit and half way in felt a little resistance. I gave a small tug and reeled in a dog collar with ID tags. I debated to call the owner for a day or two cause I figured they had buried a dog or spread ashes or something like that and I didn't want to dredge up old memories. After a few days I decided to track down the owner. They lived around Denver and while visiting the lake they lost the collar overboard from their little lap dog who was a big part of the family. They were super happy to get it back and I am really glad I called.
[signature]
I have picked up a few rods and reels while bottom bouncing for eyes over the years, actually picked up one at Willard last summer, reel was shot but pole was in good shape.
[signature]
Last yr while fishing browns on the ogden /weber river my buddy hooked this big boy west of 1900!!! A one in a million fish and not only did he hook it once but twice 20 min apart! 1st hookup he got bit off and second he landed it! And it was in chocolate looking water! ! 38" this one was a long way from home!
[signature]
Ooops heres the pic
[signature]
thats sweet man. i wonder how many of them muskies made it down that river?
[signature]
Landed an octopus fishing from a bridge in the Florida Keys one evening. I was going to let it go but a couple Cuban guys fishing nearby eyes lit up so I gave it them. Pulpo is actually pretty good if prepared right.
2nd biggest surprise was landing about a 20 lb King Salmon in the Klawock River on POW island in Alaska. The river had less water flowing than the Provo in Summer. Supposedly the rivers are just too small for king salmon runs on the island.
[signature]
I caught a 20 inch long needle fish surf fishing out of san diego, went to pick it up by the beak and it chomped down on my finger and shredded it. The salt water felt swell in the open cuts. I will take walleye any day. Fishon
[signature]
As a teenager, my friend and I went to visit my grandparents in Kansas. We were fishing a small gravel pit pond for largemouth bass. I hauled what felt like an enormous log, but when it came to shore it was actually a very big and unhappy snapping turtle. I dropped the rod and we ran.
[signature]
Well 3-4 yrs ago I hooked a little 20 incher in the canyon and I have talked to others who have seen them dead or in the water out west and in town ... so im guessing more than we think
[signature]
I caught a fish one time... it was really surprising..lol I can`t believe no one thought of that one. Fishon
[signature]
win i was 13 i was fishing a slough by the feather river in california for small mouth win i hooked a 30 inch steel head (must have gotten trapped win the water was high) scared the hell out of me
[signature]
a long time ago I caught an eight inch walleye out of the Jordan river while reeling a spinner tipped with a worm. Wasn't expecting that at all. Also I have seen kids catch big fat bullfrogs by hand on the river as well.
[signature]
[quote ocean]Smallmouth at yuba.[/quote]

I've caught a ton of smallmouth downstream from Yuba all the way to almost DMAD. (I probably shouldn't be mentioning it.) I believe that DWR planted some smallmouth in Yuba, but a bunch of them made it downstream into the lower sevier. I haven't caught any recently, but I know people who have.

Matt
[signature]
In 1996 or 1997 I caught a nice big brown out of a pond near Willow Park Zoo in Logan. I was carless at the time so I had to haul it home on the Logan public bus. I got a lot of looks from people on the way home.
[signature]
While on the LP showing my brother that a fly line could be cast left handed to the spot I wanted him to start his drift( I'm a righty), I hooked up on my first trout left handed. But the suprise came much later on that trip when I landed my first Mountain White fish. It was 20 inches give or take.
[signature]
On Willard fishing for Wipers, my buddy lost my $7 rapala somehow, pissed at him. 10 minutes later, caught a wiper with my rapala, the wiper had wraped itself around some line line, that had my rapala on the end of it.
I still take him fishing, he's got the senior get in free or discount for the parks.
[signature]
Caught this at Utah Lake fishing with a dollar flung like a fly. (yes they use our currency)
[signature]
???? i dont think your pic worked.
[signature]
[quote Kyle_lauchie]Caught this at Utah Lake fishing with a dollar flung like a fly. (yes they use our currency)[/quote]

That is just creepy...I think I have seen this guy.
[signature]