Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most surprising fish caught
[cool][#0000ff]Set up my comfy chair and put a line out into Salt Lake, near the marina. Caught about 20 dimbulbs who felt it was their obligation to laugh at me and tell me there were no fish in Salt Lake. Wish I would have thought to bring along a few trout to keep in my cooler.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Actually, my most interesting/surprising catch here in Utah was a 15 inch crappie I caught around the island in Deer Creek.[/#0000ff]

[inline "DEER CREEK CRAPPIE.jpg"]
[signature]
damn TD i knew there were a few crappie in there but the only ones ive seen were silver dollar sized that got puked up by trout ice fishing, i guess there are a few good ones in there. do you think they will ever flourish there?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I caught that one about two years ago and it was the first one I had seen. Heard of others getting them but no first hand "reliable" reports. After posting pics of mine and checking in with DWR folks I learned that they have shown up in netting surveys and a few on anglers lines.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Doubt they will ever become a major part of the biomass in Deer Creek. Too many other top predators already in place...and just not enough forage for all the species in the lake. They occupy a different level than most of the other predators...besides trout...but with no significant supply of small fishies they more often serve as prey rather than as predators. Just like at East Canyon the trout find newly hatched crappies to be fine fodder so a lot of them disappear into the food chain before reaching slab size.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I was fishing Illipah reservoir west of Ely NV one evening after dark with my nephews. We were throwing flies with a bubble on spinning rods. I cast & it seemed like the bubble took a long time hitting the water & when I started to retrieve it felt funny so I just cranked it in & found a bat on my wooly worm. I beat the thing against the water until it came off the hook. It was dead by then.
[signature]
A 27" largie?[quote Jazzperch1]a got 2 7 inch LMB out of little cottonwood creek about a half mile from the jordan a few years back. pretty crazy that i got em in 2 casts and then nothing the rest of they day.[/quote]A 27" largie? 9-10lbs.? Typo?
[signature]
two largies 7 inches long
[signature]
My buddy Chad caught Wynonna's big brown beaver at Jordanelle, broke the line. About 1/2 hour later I pulled in some fishing line that I got hooked on. His spinner was attached to the line that hooked the beaver! Weird, usually when a beaver decides to leave it takes everything and you never see it again...
My most surprising fish? hmmm, an old memory of catching a 24 1/2 inch brook trout while trespassing on private land when I was younger. They were swimming around right in front of me like they didn't care that I was even there.
I do not promote trespassing and I'm glad I didn't get caught but it's one of my greatest memories. I caught a big fish but was too afraid to tell anyone about it because I didn't want to get in trouble. I released it after a couple pics.
[signature]
Damn I'm still jealous! Could that be the private pond that had brook trout and rainbows that isn't private anymore and only holds trashy tiger trout and cutts?
[signature]
caught a "swimmer" bird trolling a rapala,total surprise,it was a good fight too.O,and a record size mojarra 2lb! [#008000]FL[/#008000]
[#008000]

[/#008000][#000000]My biggest surprise was my bonefish,I was just casting a lure from my little boat,and all hell broke loose,caught on 6lb line[Image: surprised.gif][/#000000]
Thats what I especially love about fishing,the surprise catch.Congrats everyone PP.
[signature]
Most surprising thing I ever caught was a duck or goose as a kid. I was fishing a small pond on the family farm using flies and this bird just scooped it up.
[signature]
I've caught exactly one crappie out of provo river less than a mile above UL a couple of years ago. It was about 7". Not big, but lots of fun.

Down at Gunnison Bend Res, just west of Delta, I caught a Black Crappie and White crappie on subsequent casts off the dam. I was fishing for white bass.

I had access to the IPP (Intermountain Power Plant) environmental impact study from prior to the building of the plant and they had some gill-net surveys from Gunnison Bend, DMAD, and the sinks by fool creek and there were some interesting fish in there. I'm pretty sure the studies were done prior to the 1983 floods, but there were quite a few Cutthroat trout in Gunnison Bend at that time. There were also either gizzard or threadfin shad in the sinks. I don't remember which. I've also caught two sacramento perch out of the river above gunnison bend.

I'm trying to figure out if the library in Delta still has the report squirrelled away somewhere. There was some pretty interesting stuff in there.

My grandfather also caught what would have been a world-record white bass out of gunnison bend in the early or mid 70's. It was well over 5 lbs and definitely would have been a state record. The world record white bass in the mid-80's when I looked it up was just barely over 5 lbs. If I can dig up the picture from one of my cousins, I'll make sure to post it.

Matt
[signature]
As a teen in Ohio I was fishing for bass at dusk with a 4-inch jitterbug. During the retrieve the lure quit making noise and got sluggish. When I got it in, I had caught a big bullfrog.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have not had much personal experience fishing DMAD or GB, but I have talked with several folks who have lived in the area and who have fished it over the years. Their experiences also reflect a wide variety of species...and some truly huge specimens of individual species. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I would like to get copies of some of those media reports from yesteryear. I keep files on as many Utah waters as I can and like to have those things for reference.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
i didnt know there were white crappies in utah?
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]I have not had much personal experience fishing DMAD or GB, but I have talked with several folks who have lived in the area and who have fished it over the years. Their experiences also reflect a wide variety of species...and some truly huge specimens of individual species. [/#0000ff]
[/quote]

I know I was one of them, especially back in the utahfishfinder days. Smile I'm always trying to spread the word about the fishing on the sevier down there, but most people think I'm nuts. But that may be for completely different reasons.

[quote TubeDude]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I would like to get copies of some of those media reports from yesteryear. I keep files on as many Utah waters as I can and like to have those things for reference.[/#0000ff][/quote]

I'll see what I can do. I'm supposed to be going down there in the next week or so and I"m pretty sure I can get a hold of them.

[quote Jazzperch1]

i didnt know there were white crappies in utah?

[/quote]

The only place in Utah that they have been documented to have been planted is Gunnison Bend. I know that they made it into DMAD and the river above there because I've caught a couple of them all the way up to Leamington canyon.

http://dwrcdc.nr.utah.gov/rsgis2/Search/...m=pomoannu

Matt
[signature]
oh i see. very interesting.
[signature]
Many years ago I was fishing Lake Caspe in Spain and during a bassfishing tournament I was in, I hooked the bottom or at least I thought it was the bottom till it started moving and pulled our 17ft Astro bassboat around the little cove we were in for about 20 minutes. I had 50 lb braid on so it was not breaking my line. I could not budge this fish at all. Stayed on the bottom. Ffinally the hook straightened out and when I reeled in the line it had about 9 feet of heavy slime covering it. That lake is famous for the European catfish they call SILURO (italian name) lots of fun... also many of these catfish on a big crankbait. They catch them over 200lbs alot there.
[signature]
As kids TyeDye and I used to windsurf Yuba Reservoir nearly every weekend. Camping next to us was a fisherman. One night he left his rod on the beach with his tackle in the water...hoping for a morning suprise I guess. That morning the rod was gone. Two days later TyeDye and I were Standup Paddeling around out by the bouys on our boards and saw the rod on top of the water...then it disappeared. About an our later there it was again. TyeDye grabbed it and it felt like it was snagged...the thing would not move...every now and then it would go for a little ride. Being young (about 9yrs old) we cut the line and returned the fishing rod to the angler. Instead of being happy that he got his gear back he was PISSED OFF that we cut off his monster fish. Never know if it was a Carp, a pike or the Yuba lake monster.
[signature]
Wells Cdatfish i bet, i saw a guy hook and land one in the Danube that was yellow, and well voer 140lbs
[signature]
You know where I'm talking about [Wink].
[signature]