Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most surprising fish caught
Wow,you couldn't free line it back to the beach,O man,but then again you were young......anyway,

?That guy must of been like.... these Damn kids[:p] You guys should plan a trip back there and try to catch it, now that your older,and wiser......

[#6000bf]Just like a fine wine, we get better with age[/#6000bf] Paulpro
[signature]
Daughter caught a sculpin in Diamond Fork. Had nooo idea what it was. Turns out they're a common small forage fish. Freaky looking little buggers, look like those toxic stonefish thingies. Then I caught one there last weekend.
[signature]
2 Years ago my mom caught a 20" salmon out of Pineview. We were most surprised.....Roman
[signature]
While living in Belize as a young man of 19-21 years [Wink] we used to catch 2-5 pound snappers that ran through a channel on the island I lived on. One night while making a quick dinner fishing trip I hooked a fish on my anchovy that shook it's head and turned against the current to run. I pulled as hard as I could and it didn't slow down a bit. We fished by hand off of the spool so I went to let off some more line and as soon as I let my grip loosen a bit the whole spool shot out of my hand and into the channel. That was a BIG fish.....I've caught halibut that had nothin on this guy...locals told me it was most likely a marlin...

I was also surprised by this guy at Jordanelle;
[Image: cameradump6-8-07001.jpg]
[signature]
It was about 15 or 20 years ago I was spinner rigging at night at Starvation. I had a jumbo leech on the rig and the only fish I caught that night, at about midnight, was a 5 lb channel cat. Ask the guy at the state park about it he said the only way it could have got there was to swim up the duchesne river from the green then up the north fork and down through the night tunnel. Back then there wasn't as much idiot bucket biology as there is today.
[signature]
Well here's an interesting fish my fishing partner got as a young'n while walking a creek bed after the flood waters receded...Any guesses as to species...nope haven't taken it in for any type of scientific study or carbon dating analysis...
[signature]
I grew up in Oklahoma fishing with a 7ft cane Pole with catgut line and a real cork bobber. Mostly for panfish and such. But one day I caught a 6lb LargeMouth Bass on that rig . Man was I surprised. Managed to land him though. I was 8 years old. Geez that was a long time ago.
[signature]
[quote TroutBumDave]I decided to do a little urban fishing in SLC and took my little ultra light into the thick brush/crap on 9th east and Van Winkle. (south east corner) Most people have no idea that there is a little creek that runs through there, and now adays it's too overgrown to do much, but a few years ago you could get a few casts in. Anyhow, I had caught a few SNIT's and then WHAMMO, I caught an 18" brookie on a bronze Blue Fox spinner. It was beautiful.[/quote]That would be called "Spring Run" I just looked in there a few days ago and there are still a handful of trout left in there.
I'm not questioning your trout ID skills, but all I've caught are browns from there. Are you sure it was a brook trout? Damned cool catch if it was!
[signature]
Crappie in Echo.

Didn't just catch 1. We caught solid #'s of them for a few years... haven't caught on there in years and years. They just disappeared.
[signature]
Caught a big cormarant pitching swimbaits for Lingcod on the oregon coast.
Muskrat at mantua last november.
Caught a Northern Pike a few miles below FG dam on the green a few weeks ago.
[signature]
[quote Paulpro]Wow,you couldn't free line it back to the beach,O man,but then again you were young......anyway,

?That guy must of been like.... these Damn kids[:p] You guys should plan a trip back there and try to catch it, now that your older,and wiser......

[#6000bf]Just like a fine wine, we get better with age[/#6000bf] Paulpro[/quote]

Trust me we tugged and tugged. Paddled against it, paddled twards it...nothing was working. Can not believe how mad the guy was...I would be thanking the be-jesus out anyone who found my gear and was willing to give it back! Might have to go down there to give Yuba a rematch now that we are older...waiting for the fish populations to come back.
[signature]
I was fishing a Lake Powell this weekend for Bass. I was using a lipless crank and got a wicked strike. Started working the fish in. Turn out I foul hooked a 2 lb Gizzard Shad. That was the biggest ugliest bait fish I have ever seen.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]In former times there were lots of cats in Yuba, and some bigguns. My money is on your "mystery monster" being a big ol kitty.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]In former times there were lots of cats in Yuba, and some bigguns. My money is on your "mystery monster" being a big ol kitty.[/#0000ff][/quote]

Might just be....he was sinking bait on the bottom. We used to go out at night, stay very still, and the carp would swim between your legs...very frisky carp I guess. That woulda been one hell of a Catfish..no wonder the guy was so mad.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Back in the 70s and 80s there were quite a few nice kitties. Caught a lot of them when jigging spoons for the mongo perch in the late summer and fall. And I knew a few guys who specialized in night fishing for the bigguns. A big whole minnow on the bottom...a rod with a bell on it...a campfire and a lounge chair. Serious. And they caught more than a few over 20#. I have heard of 30 pounders caught both from Yuba and formerly good fishery known as Gunnison upstream on the Sevier River. Alas, it is only a carp factory these days...like Yuba. Gunnison is drained to the riverbed every fall by the water users and that year's carp production goes downstream to Yuba.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I am positive it was a brookie, and it was beautiful. Still the biggest brookie I've caught in 31 years.

I also just took a peek at that place and ya, there are a few trout in there still. TOUGH access and I wasn't able to get anywhere close to casting distance without spooking them out of the few holes that are available.
[signature]
I was out at Sand Hollow Bluegill fishing caught a bluegill and it was slammed by a Largemouth and the hook popped out and hooked the largemouth. It was a big fight on a small pole.
[signature]
caught a few catfish while trolling once for walleye!
[signature]
heres a brook out of that same spot. i live 1 block from there. biggest brown ive got ou of there was on 1300 east below the bridge. 20 incher
[signature]
Willard Bay
[signature]