Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many flies to start with...
I've seen the pictures where people have a dozen large fly boxes packed to the brim with various flies. I've also seen other fly boxes where folks go out with about a dozen flies.

I'm heading out on a 4 day trip in the next couple weeks where I going to be learning how to fly fish. No guide or anything, just heading out with a group of guys. I've pretty much got my list of flies taken from various top 10 fly lists... In all, I have about 7-8 different dry fly patterns. 2-3 streamers patterns. 3-4 nymph patterns.

For dry flies, I'm heading with 2-3 sizes depending on the fly. Streamers I'm heading up with 1 size. Nymphs 1-2 sizes.

My question is... How many of each fly would you bother bringing on your first trip out?

Right now I'm thinking 4-5 for popular flies, and the majority I'll bring 3 of each with the exception of nymphs which I'll probably have around 8. I'd rather not spend a 100$ on flies, that said, I don't want to end up in the back country with no flies left!
[signature]
Ah a million $ question. The hard part of fly fishing. For a good start on a 4 day trip I would have a min of 6 of the most popular flies for where you are headed. Talk to the guys that you're going with and find out what to plan for. An develop big selection as you go. I don't have lots but I usually carry 250-300 flies with me, I will also hit 3 or 4 rivers a day.
[signature]
So when you say 6 of the most popular fly... Do you mean of each size - or?
For example... Adams and Parachute Adams are going to be a fly I consider popular.

I can tell you that with Adams, I plan to have size 14, 18, 22 (4-5 of each size)
With Parachute Adams, I'll probably have sizes 12, 16, 20 (4-5 of each size)

On the other hand, I will have some Stimulators... however given I don't plan to use them as much, I'll only carry size 10 and have 3-4 of them.

Back to Woolly Buggers, I'll probably carry 1 size, one set with beadheads, one set with out. each set will have 4 colors, 5 of each color.

Does that make sense in general?

All an all, this is just something to get me started. I'd say my biggest concern would be to run out of a fly i like on the water... so perhaps a better question would be...
When you were starting, how many flies would you lose a day?
[signature]
You have more than enough to get started. 90+% of my days fishing I'll use just 1 or 2 types of flies in a single size each. I try to keep my line in the water as much as possible because that is when I catch fish. In the backcountry if fished correctly probable ever single fly you're bringing should be able to produce fish.
Last June I got into the leading edge of an incredible stonefly hatch several miles from my car, road or even a trail. Literally caught 50 trout in an hour. Didn't actually have any traditional stoneflies with me. My standby size 10 prince nymph was good enough. Sure I would have preferred a stonefly nymph and dry but I had complete confidence that what I had would work well.
People really make this too hard. When I hike in for hours to fish I never have more than 50 flies with me. I probable average 20 fish per fly before it gets too beat up or occasionally lose a fly. The stonefly hatch stands out as the single time I wish I actually had some other flies with me but it was still some of the fastest fishing I've ever experienced. Back country fish are stupid. They scare far easier but fly selection is almost a nonissue within reason. The key is stealth and presentation.
[signature]
^ and the comment above mine pretty much sums up everything you need, good luck and have fun!
[signature]
I am one with all those big fly boxes full of flies. But I agree with River that you only end up using a few. Question is, which few. I have had days where we have thrown everything but the kitchen sink.
And of course those days when the ONLY fly you have only ONE of is the one they want.
I cure the multi day trips by taking my fly tying gear[cool]

Certain waters I know what works at different times and so forth though.

Rivers I take the old stand bys. Maybe three small boxes there. But I like to experiment too. Looking for that ONE FLY that the fish just can't leave alone.[Wink]
[signature]
Sis,

Isnt it also a common practice to take large jam packed fly boxes and then pick and choose what you need and put those in smaller fly boxes to take with you on the water... that way you are not carrying so many large fly boxes on the water all the time.. ??

MacFly
[signature]
True. Most my big boxes have big flies...he, he,
[signature]
LOL... now you know what I meant.. just didnt say it very well... but hopefully everyone got the idea ... [Smile]
[signature]
If where you are going will be new to you or you just want ideas I would call 1 or 2 fly shops or tackle shops in the area. The fish in an area may be changing during the season. Often times a good shop will set you right for small money. as far as a fly goes my favorite is a muddler minnow:
[url "http://traderscreek.com/Fishing/Fly_Fishing/muddler_minnow_fly_-_fly_recipe.aspx"]http://traderscreek.com/Fishing/Fly_Fishing/muddler_minnow_fly_-_fly_recipe.aspx[/url]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]I would think that a lot depends on what size rod you will be using and the type of water ways that you will be fishing. If I'm going to be fishing small streams with a 2wt well then only a few flys will make it out of my car. Oh yea - if there are a lot of low hanging trees then plan on some of your flys getting eaten by a nice fuzzy branch, or wedge in the rocks of a stream. Losing 3 or 4 [or more] is not that uncommon. If I'm fishing a weir then I'm not likely to lose any. Ask the guys that you are traveling with a lot of questions for that is the way one starts to learn what to expect and what will be reality. Hopefully the two are closely in agreement. Good luck and tight lines.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[quote Jim_C]If where you are going will be new to you or you just want ideas I would call 1 or 2 fly shops or tackle shops in the area. The fish in an area may be changing during the season. Often times a good shop will set you right for small money. as far as a fly goes my favorite is a muddler minnow:
[url "http://traderscreek.com/...ly_-_fly_recipe.aspx[/quote"]http://traderscreek.com/...ly_-_fly_recipe.aspx[/quote[/url]]

That is a sweet fly! I would suggest, the popular flies. Elk Hair hands down, Haresear, Copperjohn (red is my choice) Royal Wulff, Prince Nymph, Pheasant tail (bead and no bead on the nymphs.
And WOOLY BUGGERS!!!!!
I was fishing the Uinta's this weekend and a Wooly Bugger called "A Painted Lady" rocked totally.
Oh and I was using a 7'9" Sage LL 2 wt.[Wink]
[signature]