Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton 3/22 and Porcupine 3/24
I went out to Newton to try out the new downriggers and new engine mounted electric trolling motor. Only had an hour to test it and both systems worked quite well. No fish though. Water was a clearish brown with lots of thick stringy moss that sure made the ramp slick. Yesterday I had a few hours to kill so I went to porcupine and was the only boat out there besides a kayak. No bites for me or him. When leaving though there were little fish boils towards the dam. About six areas where little bitty fish were skimming the surface. Kinda cool. They behaved a bit like kokanee.
[signature]
Looks like you have the riggers set up real nice. Was Porcupine totally ice free? Did you launch at the back or the first launch? Thanks for the updates, I had no idea ice was off either lake.
[signature]
I'm also very curious if Porcupine is ice free. One of the lakes close to my house I haven't visited yet!
[signature]
It was totally ice free. Porcupine water temp was 48.2 F. We launched at the back but could have launched at the first one. It was nice to at least get out. Thanks.
[signature]
Did you happen to notice the water temp at Newton? Thanks, Fred K.
[signature]
I think it was around 50 degrees but not 100% sure.
[signature]
Wow... that warmed up quick! Thanks, Fred.
[signature]
It was 50* at Willard yesterday as well.
[signature]
This is shaping up to be a good spring.... I hope! ;0) Fred.
[signature]
"When leaving though there were little fish boils towards the dam. About six areas where little bitty fish were skimming the surface. Kinda cool. They behaved a bit like kokanee. "
I've seen the kokes do that many times at the pig. We got right on them one time, you could see they were tiny kokes between 2 to 4".
[signature]
Newton, Hyrum, Mantua - I guess Porcupine. Wonder if Pineview's got any ice left - I'm thinking not, after this latest spell. Should be time to start getting on some bass!

Seen those 'boiling' koke younglings. Flip flopping around. Would like to find their big bros!!!

Took a couple runs out on Cutler, but didn't have much luck. Plus with the wind kicking in, wasn't sure what was coming, so didn't want to get too far in.

Another 10-15 degrees and we'll be in business, right?
I was at Newton Saturday morning from 8 am to noon. Water temp was 44.2 when we got there and 45.4 when we left. Interesting that Porcupine is warmer than Newton when one week ago, the Pig was still totally covered in ice.
[signature]
What do you fish with at Porcupine.. Trolling, casting, jigging, etc...
[signature]
It really depend on the fish, walleye and perch are getting active now(45-50*), crappie start to get in the mode at 55*, cats wiper and bass need it 10-15* warmer. I'm sure others can give you the exact degrees for each fish but that is what I look for on water temps on those spawning fish.
[signature]
Trolling wedding rings, dick knight spoons in smallest sizes, orange and gold colors worked well for me last year. About 20 feet when the water was warmer. This time of year I have no idea about proper depth or speed. Disclaimer- my fish finder may be starting to wig out. The depths intermittently stop updating so the temps may be inaccurate.
[signature]