Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spinnerbait for saltwater fish
Living somewhat far from saltwater, lately I've been doing a lot of fishing in lakes and rivers using spinnerbaits to catch bass. I was wondering if the same freshwater spinnerbaits can be used to catch saltwater fish such as rockfish(stripers) in the Chesapeake Bay.

Anybody ever try this?
[signature]
Hi,I had a heck of a snook take a small beetle spin from wallmart,not the smallest size,but the next one up.I was castig it with my 4lb line,and a big snook took it while casting... she ran with it ,found her tired ,but line was around some mangroves with barnacles,line cut,but awesome fight.Also caught snappr with it,Jacks,and I'm sure more species will hit that,P.S.I hooked the snook at night,and caught a smaller snook with it trolling.Thanks for bringing this up,reminds me to try them again,and get some more.Good Luck
[signature]
Hey Viper,
I probably wouldn't try it on the stripers for sure. Although when your on a decent "boil" and their slamming the bait fish you could probably throw just about anything to them and they would hit it. My concern wouldn't be whether they would go for the bait or not but would they bait hold a decent sized striper.

I have had freshwater striper (that typically run a lot smaller then their saltwater cousins) straighten and even brake off hooks on poppers. My big concern about throwing a spinnerbait to them would be if you get a great fish, will the bait hold up? My guess would be no.

If you do try it, I'd love to see the pics and report, tight lines and good luck!!
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator