Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 10/11\03 (report)
Hit willard Saturday afternoon at about 2:00. We trolled in nine feet of water along the north dike to the lightpole. We used green grubs and and milky white and yellow rattle trap. We trolled 2.5 to 3.5 mph (GPS speed) with side planers. We picked up 6 wipers total and missed two or three others. The smallest was 2.5 lbs and all the others went close to 3.5 lbs with the biggest one a hair over 4. We stayed on the water until shortly after six when the bugs were just getting fired up. They weren't that bad at all until the sun starting going down. I launched my 16.5 foot Crestliner without too much effort. A big thanks to the guys who found the little ramp for us to use. If things work out this week I might make it back over Thursday for some more fishing. Here are some pics for everyone to enjoy.
nice report and some fat looking wipers

chris
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#006741][size 2]Way to show us how it's done Crestliner. Nice report and pics.[/size][/#006741][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#006741][size 2]Couple of questions; Was the area around where you launched very crowded on Saturday? Was the water very murky? Did you catch all your fish on the side planers? Was there a time of the day that seemed to be when you had most of your hookups?[/size][/#006741][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#006741][size 2]Thanks again for the report.[/size][/#006741][/font]
[signature]
The water was pretty murky. Our hookups were kinda spread out throughout the afternoon. We caught all the fish on side planers. We seemed to catch more with a zig zag trolling pattern. We caught them on the inside planer moving slow and the outside planer moving fast. It was equal on both. The area where we lauched got kinda crowded while we were on the water. There was probablly four or five trucks with trailers there but most everybody else left before we got off. If eveyone that launches would pull up on the rocks out of the way after launching, it would be alot more user friendly.
[signature]
Thanks for the report and great pictures, those fish have really been putting on the feed bag. Did you see any boils? What was the water temp? WH2
[signature]
Amazing what a few months of reduced fishing pressure and harvest will do to the guts on them fish huh?
[signature]
Nice Post Creatliner: Sound like you had a verry sweet afternoon, Great pitcs too. Hey Creatliner how or what would a person like me, who has never delt with side planers (boards) learn to use them? I would like to learn how, what to and what NOT to do, to make them work. Any help would be great!
[signature]
Did not see anty surface action at all. We waited it out to try catch a few that way but it never happened. Water temp was 59 degrees most of the day. It did hit 61 after the wind quit blowing and it warmed up.
[signature]
Very nice Cresty
[signature]
Those are some great looking fish, I see a state record coming out of there before winter, or definitely by the end of next spring!!! Where is this boat launch????
[signature]
Drive down the ramp at the north marina. Follow the tire tracks through the channel. You will see where the shore drops really fast. Back in the water just south of the drop off. There is some rocks in the water to help you with traction. 4x4 is recommended. Two person launch makes it easier.
[signature]
just as i expected. the wipers are fatter than i have seen them in years. i sure hope the water stays well enough to push them through the winter. with average fish like that there is a chance a legendary 10 lber could come out of willard if they can just survive and feed through the winter a bit.
[signature]