Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring Turkey!
Spring turkey season is almost upon us! Who's going to be headed out this year!? I was once again unlucky enough to go ANOTHER year without drawing a turkey tag here in East Idaho, so I'm headed towards Boise in search of the long beards. Who drew a tag?
[signature]
I'm up north, so I don't have to draw a tag. But I'm just as excited as you to get out! Maybe we oughtta have the first ever (to my knowledge) BFT beard length competition.
[signature]
I'm in! I love the idea! Would you prefer an average beard length between the turkeys harvested over the course of the spring season, or just the longest bearded turkey?
[signature]
Let's keep it as simple as possible. I say longest length wins. Anybody else in?
[signature]
I will get in on this. I have already spotted the tom i want. now i just have to figure out how to get him to come into me
[signature]
Go get 'em everyone!
[signature]
3 full days of season and no turkey pictures yet. Come on guys! Let' be killin' sum birdz!
[signature]
I'm acting as a fair weather turkey hunter this year. But tomorrow and Saturday morning look good...
[signature]
my hunt got a bit harder... grandpa beat me to my tom. guesse next year i wont tell him were he is[:/]
[signature]
Us old guys will do that some times! LOL!. Bummer for you, good for him.[Wink]
[signature]
You guys want pictures? I'll give you pictures.

Gave my legs a good workout, saw some turkeys (on land I didn't have permission to hunt, naturally), and talked to some. It was a good morning, but this was all I brought home.

[inline 0420121025.jpg]
[signature]
Alright guys. You all seem to be slacking so I guess I have to come rub in the success. I wasn't really excited about going turkey hunting this year, but a friend wanted to go, so I said I would.

We waited 9 days for the early season rush to wear off and I took today off from work so we could go. We had some trouble (trouble = got lost) getting into my "honey hole", so as it was getting light we decided to stop the ATV and do a little calling. We got 4 different groups of birds to answer before we left that spot, but the only ones that came our way walked past out of sight just a ways off.

We moved to another location and couldn't get anything going, so we moved again. In the third spot we got gobbles right away, so we moved about 100 yards from the ATV and set up quickly. It's a good thing we did, because those birds beat feet right to us. The next time the gobbled they were only 40-70 yards out. Within 10 minutes of hoping off the ATV, we had 3 birds walk into our setup and we doubled.

The birds are nothing much to brag about, (this is the part where I rub it in) but since none of you have posted your "long-beards" yet, I guess that puts me in the lead for the long beard contest! [Wink][angelic]

You can count me for somewhere between 1.25 and 1.5 inches of beard! LOL.[blush] Either way, I got first blood...........

I really need one of you to "one-up" me before this goes to my head.[:p]

Oh yeah. Almost forgot. Driving out, a grouse that was defending his territory flew off the side of the hill, smacked me in the arm, pooped on my dash, and bounced off the door jam almost going through the cab of my truck. Started the poop out of both of us. [Wink]
[signature]
Nice. should be some good eatin! I went out saturday and had a couple jakes just out of range. Saturday evening i road down to my familys cabin... didnt take the gun... had a huge tom standing right infront of the cabin. I tried to get a picture of him but couldnt get the camera out in time.
[signature]
Thanks for rubbing it in! Your post gave me a good laugh! And hey, who knows, maybe your 1.5" beard will win the "BFT Idaho Turkey of the Year" award.

But I'd personally like to be the top turkey around here, so I will be aiming at nothing less than a 2" beard!
[signature]
Actually, we figured out that in the termoil, my buddy and I swapped birds and we each went home with the wrong bird. He measured the beard and says it is a flat 2 inches. You better shoot for 2 1/16 inches. [Wink]
[signature]
One of those kind of shootouts, eh? [Wink]

Thanks for the heads up!
[signature]
Alright! FINALLY get back to everyone! I went out on the first weekend of the general season and got my tom on April 20th. Had to hunt like crazy for it, they were hanging up at 75 yards and just wouldn't come in all weekend - but we made it happen! The story is up on my blog for anyone that wants to check it out - my tom had a 6" beard and 1 1/4" spurs - all around an awesome hunt! I'm thinking about heading out for the 2nd breeding season here in the next couple days...anyone tried hunting them in May?
[signature]
I've had some of my best days in May. They are easier to call in May....... Not many folk out there because they've either killed or given up...... Good times.
[signature]
Don't know if my bird counts, since I got him in south dakota on the guided hunt my son won- but I ate him here. Anyway, he was a nice fat 2 year old with an 8 inch beard, and 1 inch spurs.

[Image: 100_3906.jpg]

[Image: 100_3910.jpg]
[signature]
Huh? What? Turkey season is up? Dad gummit - time flies.

How about we just proclaim GrovBone the Idaho champ, and Niji the Worldwide Champ!

Honorable Mention: ...buggy.
[signature]