Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for Summer Fishing
I've volunteered to teach a summer class on fly fishing to kids at my local school. Things are going pretty well planning it out except for a fishing hole. I need some help thinking of a place to take 8-10 young, newbie fly fishers in the middle of July for a fishing trip where they can practice casting and hopefully catch a fish. I'm in the Magic Valley (Kimberly actually), but have a bus to go to anywhere a reasonable distance away. Any advice would be great. I really hope I can give some kids a good fishing experience. Thanks for your help.
[signature]
Define reasonable Wink I don't know much over that way other than the big wood
[signature]
a perfect place would be the filer ponds they have a kids pond that the fish love wolly buggers and prince nymths as well as hars ears. they keep it stocked pretty good and there are some large fish in there. I bet if you called fish and game they would let you know when there planting it and also might come out.

http://agweekly.com/articles/2008/12/06/...news01.txt

http://magicvalley.com/lifestyles/recrea...5aeda.html
[signature]
Another thought might be the South Fork of the Boise, below Anderson R. dam. The fly shops in Boise keep close track of the fishing there, and could always make suggestions in regards to the "hot" fly, etc. Mike
[signature]
I agree that Filer Ponds would be perfect. There is lots of casting room and open banks. Good pond for kids.

If not there, then maybe look at the Crystal Springs pond down in the Niagara Springs area or some of the ponds and Oster Lakes in the Hagerman WMA, or Dierke Lake. Those aren't as easy casting though.

And also as DF mentioned check with F&G for suggestions and stocking.
[signature]
Take along some San Juan worms and green weenies. They don't look much like natural flies, but the bright colors make them easy for the kids to see in the water and stocked trout love them. They're cheap and fast to make too.
[signature]
Filer ponds is a good bet. I would also add Dog Creek. Plenty of room there and if you leave the dock area you won't have many people to deal with. Ron
[signature]
Thanks for the advice. I had thought about the Filer Ponds myself. I've never been there though. Do they get too warm in the summer time that they stop planting trout? That would be my only concern.
[signature]
The Filer ponds are spring fed, so I think they are pretty consistent all year around. You might check last year's stocking record and see what they did.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/fish/stocking/
[signature]
depending on group size spread them out a bit at niagra some at the ponds and some below the ida pwr hatchary i had some great days fly fishign that litttl erun down to the river. another area would be any of the crreks around the hagerman wma or on the banks of soem of the ponds with blue gill and bass but wait till july 1st for those. right below the first dam on the mald has a bunch of small fish with a few huge ones thrown in but then again that takes wading and some of the smaller kinds (me at that age) could get swept down stream
[signature]