Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 lb test on a 6-14 lb reel?
http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/i...age=family

I'm thinking about getting this and putting it on this rod:

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/i...age=family

I'm mainly fishing for trout, which are about 7 inches long at maximum. Would putting a 4 lb. test on the reel be fine?

If this isn't a good combo, could anyone give me an affordable combination? (Can be a combo too, just going to change line.)

Thanks.
[signature]
I might be wrong but i think that is just sort of a help guide from the lure company. I have put 25lb mono, i didn't know about braid when i did this, on a spincast reel lol. It casted decent. About 15-20 yards, but i was catfishing. I would say to go ahead and try it. Personally i have never used anything lighter then 6 lb line. But i think you will be fine, you will just need more line to fill up the spool. I hope i helped, if not my bad. I believe you are taking about the amount of line you can put on the spool. If not, could you please clarify?\

EDIT: I'm only 16 and my uncle got me into fishing, and i soon got my dad into fishing. He bought a spincast reel and the only rod i had was a spinning rod. I think the rod will be fine as long as it is the strength and length you are comfortable with.
[signature]
I don't see a problem. You can just put more on the reel if you want. The reel is rated for 150 yards, thats all.
[signature]
Hi,I've done this with my 6to 12 spinning reel,I used 4lb in fire line,with this line,

I noticed it actually gets caught in a tiny gap along the line roller.I fixed this problem by taking off the roller and removed a spacer which helped close the gap,works fine now after I put the roller back on,the roller spins fine as well.
[signature]
sure 4lb would be just fine for trout, you will want to fill your spool, it will take more line than it would with 6lb.

the reason to fill the spool is to take full advantage of your casting
[signature]