Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any suggestions on a new reel for my 6 wt?
Managed to lose my reel with my for my 6wt so I'm looking for a replacement. any suggestions/experiences to point me towards a new reel would be much appreciated.
[signature]
How much or little do you want to spend?
[signature]
Depends on what your price point is and what species your chasing. If your looking for a trout reel Allen Fly fishing makes some awesome reels. I picked up one of there trout models for 80 bucks on sale pretty descent reel for the money.

Or if you looking to spend some $$$ the Lamson Konic and Guru, Ross Evolution, sage 3800 awesome reels

Now if your a reel enthusiast like me Hatch 5 Plus & Nautilus FWX, or Able Super are top shelf reels there not cheap but a awesome reels, drag smooth as butter a bit over kill but again I luv reels. [Wink]

Or if your looking just something to hang your line on the Orvis battenkil or Redinton Drift are great inexpensive reels.
[signature]
+1 for Konic. Love mine, nice drag. People don't like the cast aluminum on them. They work, and spools are fairly cheap. Only problem is finding them because the demand is high. I've never used an Allen but a lot of people here swear by them.
[signature]
I'd prefer to stay under 250 but if I can get a good reel for less that ends up being more gas money for using said reel! I've been looking around and I've really liked the lamson guru but prefer an anodized finish not that I think thats a deal breaker though. I'm really curious about allen's and a few others, just hoping to get some feedback from guys that have used a few different setups before I go get a new one.
Oh, and I mostly chase trout with it but the occasional bass/carp if the opportunity presents itself.
[signature]
I second the Allen reels, not exspensive but really good, I just got one and love it!
[signature]
Unless for show, no reason to go over that. I put a vote in for Allen's. Buy a reel and a spool.
If you want to got for a $250. reel, my vote would be
http://www.nautilusreels.com/reels/fwx
[signature]
The konic has the same drag system as the guru does. Basically paying more for a lighter design. I love the fully sealed drag system as well. Talking with, I believe it was Justin from Allen, there reels are around 80% sealed. Which might or might not have an effect on wear. Wish Lampson would start making there reels "pretty" lol. You want to catch fish though.. not fisherman.
[signature]
So many choices, I would go with an Allen Trout or Alpha, new drag system is sweet, and the price is right. I also have an Okuma Helios which I really like, have the Allen Trout and 2 Alpha's
[signature]
Nautilus reels are one of sexiest reels made. They are so nice and so smooth. Also in your price range are the Ross CLA's. Which are pretty dang nice. Most people swear by Ross. Also take a look at all the reels Sage offers. I have the 4200 and its around $289 but a beast. Very lightweight and an amazing drag. Also try looking at the redington rise.
http://www.sageflyfish.com/reels/all-water/4200
http://www.redington.com/reels/rise
http://www.rossreels.com/reels/cla.html
[signature]
I have a ross cla #3 I believe. Its for the 5-7 wt. I use it for all three line sizes, and it has worked great. Smooth drag and all. I just got back from steel head fishing, and it performed exceptionally well. I was afraid it might be a little light, but it did great. Landed a 31" , in the current, and the drag held without a problem. Its been my one size fits all. I fiqured a $100 for the extra spool was cheaper then buying two reels. I did buy a smaller one for my 3wt that i found a good deal on. I was even impressed, with how well the reel handled the freezing temperatures. It as in the teens, and i accidently set the reel in the water and it froze. It only took a second of loosing the drag, and giving it a good tug to break the ice free. there are lots of good reels out there and its hard to go wrong with any of them.
[signature]
That Nautilus looks like a nice very light weight reel for the price. I'll keep it in mind if I need a new reel. A little off subject but I'm curious if anyone has had problems with any reels. While I've had a few rods break when they shouldn't have, every single fly reel I own from the cheapest to the most expensive work as well today as when I purchased it. Actually with rods the cheapos have never let me down it's always the mid to high priced ones that failed. Just curious about bad experiences to take into account when I need a new reel.
[signature]
I have. The Orvis LA Battenkill's had drag problems. I agree with you. I had an old plastic reel I paid like $35. for. Gave it to my brother and it is still going. Simplicity at it finest. Drag...an O ring.

Any problems with reels are generally self imposed meaning dropping or dipping in ice water.[laugh]
[signature]