Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few flurocarbon questions
Well, I have never used a leader and have caught fish. But i want to try a fluorocarbon leader since i am sticking to braided from now on. How long should the leader be for plastic fishing, such as wave swim-bugs, senko type baits, ribbon-tail worms? Mainly just soft plastic fishing. Also, what brand of fluorocarbon would you guys recommend for use as a leader?

Thanks in advance.
[signature]
Pline, and 2 1/2 -3ft is fine.
[signature]
Thanks, should the leader be a smaller lb test then my actual line?
[signature]
Can be, but not necessary.
[signature]
But not bigger right? Remember fluoro has a smaller diameter that same poundage mono.
[signature]
True flygoddess, but braid will be small dia. than flurocarbon. So he will have a bigger diameter line for the leader. But strength should be the same or smaller. I try to use the same weight.
[signature]
Spencer,

I use 20lb braided line and a 10lb fluorocarbon leader about 6ft.

I also tie the lines together with a albright knot.

i have been to many different forums and a lot of them suggest about a leader from 5 to 8ft remember if you change your rigs you will be shortening your leader. since i use a 7ft pole the point where the lines are tied together never get on my spool so it will not cause any problems on my cast. even though the knot is very small it still seems to some what want to snag the braided line not much but it will keep your cast from going farther.

i used the setup for a short time but it really seems to work better than just using the braided line.

i hope this helps

aluminumkanman
[signature]
I was planning on using a swivel. Should i instead just tie them together?
[signature]
I would. the swivel is ok but adds weight to the line and you would need a small enough one to pass through the guides on your pole.

practice tying the knot before you put into action.

i tied this know a few times at home and if you do not get it right it will slip.

there are a few videos out there on how to tie a braided line and a fluorocarbon line together check them out when you get a chance.

i have also tried a blood knot but that was before i learned not to have a leader longer than your pole.

here is a link to animated knots

http://www.animatedknots.com/knotlist.ph...dknots.com

best of luck

aluminumkanman
[signature]
I am experimenting with a small swivel on the end of my furled leaders (fly fishing) Swivel could be nice or a complete night mare.

As far as connecting two different materials, I would have thought a blood knot would be about the best, but not sure in this case.

Anyone try a triple Surgeon's knot?
[signature]
I only know how to tie a few knots together anyway. Palomar and clinch knot. I use some double clinch knot when i am tying together mono to braid when i spool up my reel, then add superglue, since the knot never touches the water. What knots could i try?
[signature]
I don't know in your case. I don't know what you use. In fly fishing, I use a nail knot (half of a blood) to attach Poly or Gel Spun backing to PVC coated fly line. Like you I put a dab of Zap A Gap (waterproof Super Glue) on the knot. The end of my fly line I build a loop in the fly line, then everything I attach, I attach with the Loop to Loop or the hand shake. Loops are best using a Perfection over a Surgeon's Loop because the Perfectionwill hang straight, the Surgeon's kicks to one side.
To connect leader to tippet I use a Double Surgeon's knot.
To attach a fly/lure to tippet, I use a Surgeon's Loop always. A small loop gives the fly a little extra movement and I can use heavier line on smaller flies that way.

So, Three knots under my belt...LOL Shoes are another topic...he, he, he
[signature]
flygoddes is right it all depends on the type of fishing you are doing since fly fishing is different from that of a spinning or a baitcaster.

although i have never tried the zap a gap. that is new to me.

i personally use crank, swim and plastics when i am fishing for bass.

the best thing is stick to the knots you like best and work for you.

sometimes i use a Norman Lures Speed Clip at the end of my line this helps with switching my crank baits out. plus they are really light in weight. there are some others that claim to be light enough to float with your fly.
[signature]