Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
utah lake carp bounty
i was reading what the contract was for carp in utah lake. why don't they open this up to the public? like the bounty on coyotes i know how many carp i take out of that lake in a year i could make a few extra buck for gas to go somewhere else to fish just sayin spread out all those millions of government dollars to us a little
[signature]
I doubt it would make a dent.

A few years back I thought it would be a great business plan to hold an annual carp bash (grapple hooks outlawed). The DNW could help attract some serious business from all corners of the state by throwing in 3-4 premium hunts like moose, buffalo, and some of the top dawg elk and deer units.

The problem I ran into is an large event might pull a couple hundred thousand pounds of carp out if everything went perfect and the fishermen were pre-sync'd inside every carp brain. That best case is really not a whole lot considering the current goal is 6,000,000 lbs per year by the then-commercial-who-lost-his-business-so-now-he-has-a-government-contract fellow.

Bottom line, IMO, is we can't afford a bounty per lb. big enough to do anything but subsidize the current kill rate. Is anyone going to target carp for $.10 per pound? Maybe some would, IDK.
[signature]
10 cents a pound a day catching carp would be fun and fill my gas tank im for it
[signature]
[quote duckdog1us]10 cents a pound a day catching carp would be fun and fill my gas tank im for it[/quote]

That's only $600,000 for 6,000,000 pounds. I'd be all for it if it meant paying people like you to have a great time while cleaning up a mess. Sounds win-win to me!

The problem is you don't have a family friend in the legislature and you don't have a big business in need of further subsidies.
[signature]
so it comes back to screwing the little guy and kick back for someone else?
[signature]
I'd catch carp all the time.... you'd be dumb not to try to figure it out. a 10lb carp will get you 1$ some of the good guys can catch them all day
[signature]
Screwing the little guy? and kick backs for someone else? where is that comeing from.. the guy that is doing the job now has been doing it for a liveing for a long time. so you want to take his liveing away so you can pay for your gas money?

are you going to be out there in the winter running net's under the ice and pulling carp out and driveing your truck out there to load them up and dumping them?

let the guy make his living and just go kill some carp when ya get a chance! .
[signature]
plenty of carp out there and if they want them gone a bounty would work and ya know he is getting paid on both ends with little over head but this is nothing agianst him
this would help cure a carp problem and any one that want to go try catching them would get a little extra cash
[signature]
lol you realy think that someone going down and catching 100 lbs of carp is going to put any kind of dent in the carp in utah lake? the guy that does it now has been takeing 6,000,000 lbs out for years and there is still 98% bio mass carp in utah lake... there is no money in it for anyone to put a bounty on carp.. the pay off is what? .0001 cent per 1000 lbs? if you want to get paid for fishing for carp. buy a commercial licence and a commercial boat get some net's and put in for the goverment contract when it comes up for bid! it will take ya about 200,000 $ just to get the boat and nets then i guess ya better hope ya get the contract.. or maybe just let the guy that allready has the contract do his job and make a liveing at it!! [crazy]
[signature]
I would go down and hunt them with my bow if there was a place to dump them off at by the lake. They wouldn't even have to pay me for it.

It's not worth tryin to haul them home to bury them. I can get quite a few when they are up on the surface.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
you may be able to bump them in the green waste place
[signature]
Is it bad, that I kill every carp I catch and throw them back in the lake to feed the crawfish?
[signature]
I have a buddy with a bear tag that wants some carp. He keeps calling me to see if I have any. I'm sure he would take twenty or so. I'm in Spanish Fork.
[signature]
[quote fuzzyfisher]or maybe just let the guy that allready has the contract do his job and make a liveing at it!! [crazy][/quote]

No.

If I have to pay to remove these then I deserve a vote in the process. I choose to pay the people paying for the program instead of enriching your friend. I'm sorry you hate democracy.
[signature]
[quote Stumped][quote fuzzyfisher]or maybe just let the guy that allready has the contract do his job and make a liveing at it!! [crazy][/quote]

No.

If I have to pay to remove these then I deserve a vote in the process. I choose to pay the people paying for the program instead of enriching your friend. I'm sorry you hate democracy.[/quote]

Don't you think the Loys (the family with the contract to remove the carp) are also tax payers? The contract is awarded by competitive bidding -- isn't that the democratic way? It is my understanding that at least one other company was awarded a contract to remove carp and completely dropped the ball.

Good luck on getting a vote on carp removal on the next election ballot.
[signature]
Yes, the Loys won the bid fair and square. I'm sorry Stumped hates capitalism.

Actually, the carp removal program is such that other commercial fishermen could join in if they wanted, although they would need to coordinate with the Loys. One fisherman from the Midwest fished with the Loys 2 winters ago. Mr. Stumped can join in too if he desires. Maybe he can start with Battle Creek.
[signature]
[quote kentofnsl][quote Stumped][quote fuzzyfisher]or maybe just let the guy that allready has the contract do his job and make a liveing at it!! [crazy][/quote]

No.

If I have to pay to remove these then I deserve a vote in the process. I choose to pay the people paying for the program instead of enriching your friend. I'm sorry you hate democracy.[/quote]

Don't you think the Loys (the family with the contract to remove the carp) are also tax payers? The contract is awarded by competitive bidding -- isn't that the democratic way? It is my understanding that at least one other company was awarded a contract to remove carp and completely dropped the ball.

Good luck on getting a vote on carp removal on the next election ballot.[/quote]

Back up a few posts... you missed the point. Some yahoo was ranting about protecting a single family subsidized niche by refusing to look into alternative options because it may infringe on his buddy's monopoly.

Nothing against the Loy's (even though the subsidies were heavily pushed for AFTER they lost their markets), but we don't have to just shut up and accept the contract while sticking our heads into the sand when it comes to potentially better alternatives. The point being made was to just shut up and pay them and not complain about it or seek out better options. Next thing you know this guy will be arguing for too low of a carp population and how it's hurting Utah's economy because the Loy's did their job and now don't have product.

I really don't know why such simple things have to be explained so patiently.
[signature]
dude first of all i dont know the Loy's never even talked to them.. i have seen them out doing there thing and thats about it...

you said (The point being made was to just shut up and pay them and not complain about it or seek out better options.)

so your better option is? have fishermen with rod and reel catch all the carp out of utah lake? and get paid for it?

ok think about that for just 1 min.. see any problems with it at all?

1 how do you verify where the carp came from? or ya just going to let any old carp get cashed in?

i can catch a whole lot more carp in gunnison res or yuba dam then utah lake.. ya going to let me cash them in?

2 the loy's can catch more carp in 1 hour then all the rod and reel bow, fishermen in the state of utah can in a year.. that point is a hard one to get around dont ya think?

3. it's the fed's that are putting up the money meaning every state in the union has a say not just you or the state of utah. and they have said that using the best way of catching carp the cheepest way is the way they want it done.
[signature]
i know how much damage i can do in one after noon during the spawn in the creeks just with my hands i remember as a kids having DWR wanting to wright us a littering ticket if we didn't put all the carp back in the water like 300 to 400 in a couple of hours had a blast that day
[signature]
yeah i have done that too lot's of times... but loy's does that X 10,000 in a hour they catch ton's like 5 and 6 tons in a hour. thats more then you me and everyone on this board has cought in they'er life time or ever will! thats just in one hour...

here someing for ya if ya want to get paid for fishing.. go to clombia river they are paying a bounty on pike minnow there not sure what state is doing it.. but there is your bounty fishing if ya want it..
[signature]