Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead (South end) 4-15-12
Figured today I would make it a shorter day than normal since it is Sunday and back to work tomorrow. Anyways I wanted to mess around trolling for Striper for the heck of it. Not really my cup of tea but something different. Messed around most of the morning and nada but lost equipment. Seen plenty caught but all on live bait or bait of some sort and I wasn't feeling like digging the net out for that. Anyways goofed around till noon and said screw this and put all that stuff away and dug out the Bass stuff. I like catching them soooo much more plus it is more interactive verse sitting there with bait. Anyways only caught two before we bailed. Needed to get home and wash the boat and car before sunset and get ready for work.

It did end up making my day! I caught my personal best LMB to date on Lake Mead at 4.15lbs. The other was a normal 2.5 pounder or so. I caught the bigg'un on a Booyah 1/2oz Spinnerbait and the smaller on a Strike King 1.5 square bill.

Madi didn't have any luck this trip. Next time for her!

[Image: LakeMead_04-15-12_005.jpg][Image: LakeMead_04-15-12_003.jpg]
[signature]
Thanks for the post. Thats a nice healthy LMB. I went out to Gov wash on Sunday and all I got was a little 3inch LMB on my pop-r. I didnt see anyone else even get a bite.
[signature]
[cool] thanx for the report, nice fish. I cant wait to get my truck fixed I'll be out again soon.[fishon]
[signature]
I caught her +/- 2 miles directly east of you (Gov Wash) as a bird flies. I did see several small bass chasing my spinnerbait throughout the day. All in the 3-6" range. Good sign seeing the little ones out there running around.
[signature]
Thanks for the report and good job on the PB. Thats a healthy looking bass there. Was it sitting on eggs?
[signature]
I don't think they are at that stage yet. Just moving up and looking around. I have never sight fished so not chasing beds as it is. She was fat so hasn't spawned. Between last weekend and the weekend before none of the smaller bass, presumed males, don't have any markings on them indicating they are digging out and preparing beds yet. My guess, scouting.
[signature]
I wasn't posting this earlier but the largemouth in 33 hole area have been moving in and out over the last two weeks...depending on the weather. There have been a few small males locked on nests. Last week the females were on primary points in 10 to 20 ft. Now with the water being drawn down since Friday last who knows where they are. We are getting bit on jigs and senko like plastics.

If you go towards the Narrows it seems the smallmouth bite was a little more consistent when you find them. We found some in 15 to 25 ft off the walls and chunk rock on secondary points. Only smaller ones though and they are bumping you off nests. Strangely enough we got bit better on North Facing shores than on the sunny exposed side. Not seeing nests yet in any of the spawning coves I checked from Calville to Bearing Point.
[signature]