Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reel question
Been thinking of getting a new reel and have been considering a Newell 235-5 or 229-5.<br><br>Now before you jump... I'm not going to be fishing the YFT or the "Forkies" none of the hot stuff you lucky folks to the south of me get to tangle with.<br><br>This will be used for salmon and 'butts here in Humboldt bay with 20-25# sort of the type of gear that we used to put together to fish the Calicos and Sandies but good enough for the stray forkie that bit.<br><br>I own Penns, Shimano, Diawa and make my own sticks and <br>tend to take good care of my gear so I'm not considerd a rookie, just never owned a Newell before and thought I'd solicit some Newell owners opinions or guys that do reel repairs.<br><br><br>
Calcutta 400 is a great reel have 6 Calcutta's would not trade for the world. <br> Custom fishing rod builder too........<br><br>
Jan,<br><br>I live in Hawaii and Newell reels are slowly becoming the standard here. Here they use all the various series, from the 200-600. I've had the chance to use the Newell 454 and the 550. I will agree with Thor that when you first pick up a Newell and feel it, it feels like it should be a children's toy. It feels cheap and like its made up of plastic like the toy reels kids play with. But I have seen these reels bring up some good sized fish. On a Newell 454 I watched a guy bring in a 83 lb. giant trevally. Newells have some qualities that make them great. One of them is the lightness of the reel. Because the spool and everything is lighter it is easier to cast and you are less likely to backlash. Next is the long handle which gives you more leverage when fighting a fish. Newell gives you the high speed gear ratio without sacrificing torque, pulling power with the use of the long handle. Those are the 2 major ones that guys here in Hawaii consider. On the flip side though Newells need to be cared for a little more. After every third trip the reel needs to be re-greased and cleaned. That's not to say that they won't last, they really do its just the way that they are made the lube tends to thin out quickly. Why that is I haven't found out yet. A good alternative that guys here in Hawaii are moving to is the Diawa Sealine HVX. Just another option<br><br>Allan<br><br>
Hi Allen,<br><br>I just couldn't take it anymore and ordered a Calstar 270H with a 229-5 from Charkbait.<br><br>Got the confirmation and UPS # from Mark and it's going to be delivered tomorrow, the UPS guys have pulled up to my window at work the last two days just to let me know it's not in this load. (then drive off laughing) <br><br>Can't wait to get my mitts on the new gear. lolololol<br><br><br><br>