Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
striped bass rig
hello i plan on trying to go fishing for striped bass in the sacramento river i need help on something first is how to hook the sardines if i use a full sardine i can hook em like anchovies right i couldnt find anything online about using sardines just anchovies and my other question is i know what size line and hook to use but i didnt know what type of weight i need to use so i bought some barrel swivel sinkers and it says i can tie them 3 feet above the swivel i was just wondering what type of knot i use to tie it on iam not sure if you can help me please respond
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I used to live in Sacto and fished all up and down the river. Sardines were my main bait. Depending on what species you are fishing for...and how big...you can cut and fish them several ways.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You will be fishing mostly for catfish and stripers. The cats can get up to 10 pounds but average less than 3 pounds. Stripers can get up to 50 pounds but most are "teen inchers" and will hit the same baits you cut up and fish for catfish. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If the Romeo bait company is still around over there, they buy truckloads of sardines and turn part of it into sardine oil...for bait. It is great to add to either pieces of sardine...or even to other baits. Get some of that to sweeten up your 'dines.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I liked to buy my whole sardines the day before a fishing trip. Then I would fillet them and turn the fillets skin side down on a piece of foil. Next I would sprinkle on some non-iodized salt and some of the aforementioned sardine oil. Then I would fold up the treated sardine fillets and put them in the refrigerator over night...and keep them on ice the next day. Fresher is better and in the heat over there fishy stuff does not stay fresh very long.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Keep a sharp knife and a cutting board. For most baits you can just cut a crosscut strip across the fillet. Pin it on a size 2 or 4 bait hook...with the hook exposed for better hooking. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If there are some larger stripers around, you can cut the sardine fillets into larger chunks...or two long strips...and use bigger hooks. When night fishing for BIG stripers it was common for us to fish a whole sardine fillet on a double hook "stinger" rig.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I usually use a sliding sinker rig. The simplest form is slipping an egg sinker on your line before tying on a stout barrel swivel. The egg sinker can be anywhere from 1/4 oz. to 1 oz. I used a half oz. sinker a lot...but went heavier for deeper holes with more current. You can also use a snap swivel...threading the loop end on your line, above a barrel swivel...and then using the snap to change sinker weights as you need to. That is a good sliding rig also.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When putting together a rig like this it is important that you use good line and leader...and tie good knots. The improved clinch knot is probably as good as any. But, you might also want to thread a small bead on your line between the sinker and the barrel swivel to help protect that knot from getting smashed too much by the sliding sinker.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The length of leader from the sinker to the hook is optional. The water is usually a bit "colored" so you don't need a long fluorocarbon leader. 18" - 24" of a good abrasion resistant mono is about right. I would use at least 15# leader...and 20# if there are some larger stripers around.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck.[/#0000ff]
[signature]