Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
76 Evinrude 9.9 help, or mechanic recommendation
Hey guys,
I have a 76 evinrude 9.9 outboard that we are having trouble with.
It ran perfectly last year then one day after running if for a few hours it lost all power and ran really rough. We were able to nurse it back in giving it full throttle and just barely moving.
A week later we took it out again and it ran fine for a while then did the same thing.

We rebuilt the carb in the winter and took it out last weekend. started right up ran perfectly then after about an hour did the same thing. started running rough and had no power.

I would love to get this fixed and not buy a new motor, any ideas what could be wrong with it?
I thought it could be over heating but not sure how to tell. There is water spraying out of the tell tail the water is warm, but not hot.
Any ideas what to check and how to check it?
Also if i can't figure it out i need someone i can take it to. I called Robertsons and they don't work on motors that old (even though i have bought parts for it from there) I am in west jordan.
Thank you!
[signature]
Sounds like something electrical. Have had similar issues on older cars and even my 8N tractor where strange things happen when components like coils or even spark plug wires fail when reaching warmer temps. If it were a carb issue it would show up much sooner after starting. Depending on the age and condition of your fuel pump you might look into that. It might be giving up after pumping for awhile.
If you need a good mechanic you might try Roger at Rogers Marine in Centerville (801) 292-6244. He has been around for a long time and is very knowledgable with older motors. I have always dealt with him on Mercury products but he may be able to do other brands too.

Good luck,
Dan
[signature]
Thanks for that Dan it does help. I will look into that.
It is a pain because it is so hard to replicate at home.
Of course, it only does it when we are on a lake!!
[signature]