Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
backing, fly line, tappet, lead recomendation
hello im new to fly fishing and this forum. so far it has been a great experience and packed full of knowledge.

i purchased a okuma magnitude ML 5/6 and a Cabelas three forks 6 weight 9' rod. it will mainly used in lakes. what would you recommend?
i am new to this but
high vis 20lbs backing
fly line 6# WF (do i want floating or sinking)i would guess sinking
tippet?
lead around 9'?

i also bought a combo cabelas wind rod reel 4# 7' 6" rod for streams and such.
[signature]
[quote joetal]hello im new to fly fishing and this forum. so far it has been a great experience and packed full of knowledge.

i purchased a okuma magnitude ML 5/6 and a Cabelas three forks 6 weight 9' rod. it will mainly used in lakes. what would you recommend?
i am new to this but
high vis 20lbs backing
fly line 6# WF (do i want floating or sinking)i would guess sinking
tippet?
lead around 9'?

i also bought a combo cabelas wind rod reel 4# 7' 6" rod for streams and such.[/quote]

Just 20 lb backing High Vis if that is the way it comes but I useplain old white dacron. Rarely see the backing anyway.

WF (Weight Forward) will be the way the sinking line comes, but you really need a floating line in which case you could go WF or DT (Double Tapered) . For stillwater, the WF is probably the best choice.
You should also get a spare spool for your reel and load it with maybe a TYPE II sinking (in either Density Compensated or Wet Cell)

Yes on tippet. At least the same size as the leader or one size smaller. They will come in "X" size. take the number 9 and subtract the X size and get a rough idea of the pound of the leader or tippet.
Stillwater, I would get a 7' 0X to 3X leader and attach 3X or 4X tippet (2 to 3 feet of tippet). This will help the leader last longer by adding tippet every time you change flies.
[signature]
thanks for the help.
joe
[signature]
everything fg said but I would add one thing... look at getting a good furled leader then all you need to do is match the tippet to the size fly you are using... FG could give some good info on a furled leader...
:-)...

I especially agree with the extra spool for the reel... years ago FG got me into a good deal on a great reel and since then I have accumulated like five or six different lines for it ... its easy to make changes depending on what you are doing.. for example.. from the shore you could be using a good wf floating line with stimulators or poppers .. or woolybuggers to see what is closer to the surface.. if you want to fish deeper switch spools and use your wf sinking line for that... now each spool will have to have backing and line and leader.. but its well worth it if you try a variety of flies and different fishing techniques... :-)

MacFly
[signature]
thanks. any particular brand of size furled leader you would recomend.
[signature]
i ordered another spool. Smile
[signature]
pm me your address and I will send you one to try.
[signature]
Thanks for the offer thats really awesome of you. I currently in texas and move to utah around mid june. If i dont have any when i move up i will probably take you up on the offer.
thanks again,
joe
[signature]
Any time!
[signature]
Brand.??? FG brand... size and length.. that is dependent on the wt and length of the rod... now I will tell you a little story..

years ago FG sent me a leader to test... well being new and inept at casting I got the leader and the tippet so knotted up I had no choice but to cut it off.. luckily it was close to the end of the leader so no major loss in length... I had no other leader to us so I tied a quick perfection knot in that leader and fished with it for the rest of the day... I had tippet break.. but not that knot or leader.. :-)

MacFly [fishin]
[signature]