Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Video of my longnose gar
My dead mount,yes I mounted it myself..

This time the vid uploaded correctly,I see why some guys get frustrated,I have trouble too,sometimes it just won't upload? [#008000]Edited, for adding last pic "dead mount"[/#008000]
[signature]
That's cool man. How did you mount it? I have the Oostanaula river record gar and boy they are fun. Within the next month will be primetime fishing for them. Congrats on the catch
[signature]
[Image: suspicious.gif]Thanks.This my miami edition rivermonster.Congrats on your record man!Your the hometown hero[Image: yell.gif] I saw it,Its a goal of mine for to set a record.I just adjusted my vid back to original quality so if it looked blurry before, please watch it again[Smile].I actually thought it was a record spotted FL gar.Longnose are rare for this far south.First time I see one of these.I thought it was a Tarpon but it wouldn' come up.What a surprise when I saw it JEEZ!

About the mount,do you still have your gar?I can help you if you want to try so.Here is what I found inside it..P.S.I need to find a replica eye if you know of someone please,also I can make you a bracelet like in the video or in the pic below with a double row of scales,little more hardcore.[Wink]If you can send me one side of the skin?I'd like to give a bracelet to a buddy from here who really liked it.I ran out of gar skin[frown]

If you want to mount it start by submerging the fish in water until soft 15 minutes about.I cut it in half with a hacksaw,metal blade,"fine" this way so I can add foam inside to get the correct shape,also to remove the meat.Then let it dry,it will hold the shape well,just keep it dry.I only used bleach and scrubbed the scales with a brush,the head part I sprayed just a little bleach to keep the dark color on the head.Wrap duct tape around it to help fold over the body.I later removed the foam pieces used to hold the correct shape.My first mount lol.[#008000]Last pic is new! for any of you who saw my pictures already.gar armor plate is new also[/#008000][#000000]. [/#000000]
[signature]
I dont have it anymore just wanting to know for the future. Went yesterday bass ishing and the gar are starting to bunch up in groups. probably had a 100 around me at one time. about time to get after them. thanks for the tip
[signature]
Catch a great big one for me man.[Wink] If you send me gar skin I can give out some gar memorabilia to some of the guys on here,I'll make you one as well.
[signature]