Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Test Your Knowledge of Wolves
[font "Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"][#0000ff][size 2][url "http://www.nwf.org/wolves/programHomepage.cfm?cpId=57&CFID=1162601&CFTOKEN=46624375"]Test Your Knowledge of Wolves[/url][/size][/#0000ff][/font]
[#0000ff][Image: spacer.gif][/#0000ff][font "Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"][size 2]
Can you tell the difference between these two photos? Which one is the wolf? Test your knowledge with this informative quiz about wolves and coyotes.
[url "http://www.nwf.org/wolves/programHomepage.cfm?cpId=57&CFID=1162601&CFTOKEN=46624375"][#0000ff]take the quiz[/#0000ff][/url] ... [/size][/font]

[font "Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"][size 2]click our focus then hit the drop down menue and select fun and games

[/size][/font][url "http://www.enature.com/sitenav/newsletter.asp?em=frydbrains@earthlink.net&mid=02703029150265a29150270302650&nt=3&nid=wol_en_101503&tg=1372"][Image: wo_101503_1.jpg][/url]
[font "Verdana,Arial,New Font"][size 1]© Corel[/size][/font]
[signature]
NWF Pursues Legal Action to Ensure Wolf Recovery in the Northeast

Charging that the Bush administration's decision to abandon wolf recovery efforts in the Northeast violates the Endangered Species Act (ESA), the National Wildlife Federation announced Sept. 25, 2003, that it intends to take legal action. In its 60-day notice of intent to sue, NWF explains that the final Wolf Reclassification Rule that was issued in April effectively terminates federal wolf recovery efforts in the Northeast, where suitable wolf habitat exists and wolves are apparently beginning to return. [Image: clear.gif] [Image: clear.gif] [Image: clear.gif] [Image: clear.gif] [Image: clear.gif] [Image: rockies_Photodisk.jpg] [Image: clear.gif] [Image: clear.gif] [Image: clear.gif] [font "arial"][#000000]Photo: © PhotoDisc [/i][/b][/#000000][/font] [Image: clear.gif] [Image: clear.gif][Image: clear.gif]
You answered 8 questions correctly. Great job! You're a real wolf expert!

[Image: clear.gif] [Image: clear.gif] [Image: clear.gif] [Image: clear.gif] [Image: clear.gif] [Image: w2.jpg] [Image: clear.gif] [Image: clear.gif] [Image: clear.gif] [font "arial"][#000000]Photo: © USFWS [/i][/b][/#000000][/font][Image: clear.gif] [Image: clear.gif]

[#ff0000][size 2]I see that I passed the test lol did you?[/size][/#ff0000][Image: clear.gif]
hey dave, they are so beautiful. both! i guess it,s the symbol they hold so much i love.the wildness the instincts, dominence, and the family interaction, from play to learnin lessons,down thru the ranks haha, from father mother uncles aunts,and down thru, to the little ones, the family bond they bestow. more human and humane than most humans i,ve seen. i understand the bond so well because i had a true blue wolf from canada. he came out of a game preserve not anyone ownin his mother or father or ancestors, mother me al and cliff was his pack and we saved him from starvin and diein. he was the black and silver, and pure blue skin. it was abond that will never break. i,d sit beside him on a full moon and he,d howl, i,d look in his eyes and they had turned red. beautiful, a dark red tone, and he,d look at me and it was if he was lookin right thru me, and that i knew, he was in a different place.The wildness and freedom, spirit which i,ll never forgit. it was so cool. i never tied him. it would of killed him. he was not meant to be leashed. he never wanted to go anywhere without me anyways i was his pack.me laddie john little cliff ma al. it,s funny, he and laddie john taught cliff to walk. cliff would hang on the top of their backs, lad on one side duke on the other and they walk him round the house. haha what babysitters. duke wouldn,t leave cliff. watch him all the time. i shoved him in my old valliant in the back seat one time took him fer a ride to mcdonalds, haha and he had to bow his head and was all stuffed in theere. haha liked the hambergers though haha boy tell me everybody weren,t lookin at him. haha but it takes someone who vcan understand them to have one. they do take you as a pack but you also need to know how to handle them and they also you too, haha it,s not really handlin, it,s a askin of them, it,s a respect between you and them, then they understand and do what you ask. very very intelligant! duke never once growled or did anythin out of the way as fer as dominence but there was just a look when he was somewhere else, he wanted space. but that is to be expected. i would never have one of these hybrids they raise now adays, duke was never hiper, as one of these and duke always did what i asked with good nature. more than those ever would. duke was dosile. just like an old shephard. you want to talk about sheddin! hahalong long hair even in the summer which made him cool inside. my point is too, duke was never fixed either.dukes mother had died when a tree fell on her, and the pups were only 5-6 weeks old.when al found em. and al heard the pups yippin. they had implanted them many moons ago from canada.the game preserve runs thru the whole state of new hampshire, that,s how big it is. al was workin fer the electricla co. al brought duke home, the other pup, she caught phenmonia the other guy took and eventually she didnt, make it. i bottle fed him till he was old enough to eat on his own. he looked like a little bear. haha but as fer as loyal lovin understandin and a bond between us that couldn,t be broke of freedom and the wild. it,s an expierience i,ll never forgit. he,d go with laddie john my bordercollie shephard mix with me and the bomfire,[pony] and head fer the hills they loved it. me too. i was lucky as a kid, haha i had it all.haha duke lived to be 16 years old. the vet knew what we had and never said nothin to the state or anyone thank god. they,d of probably taken and put him down. if duke had been the dominate actin to us or anyone he probabvly would of said somethin but he was the only one that took care of duke. we were lucky.but duke, he was almost 7ft long from his nose to his tail, coal black, so black he had that red tink in his coat, a silver v across the frontof his chest silver belly 4 silver legs from the knees down and when he,d run to me as i got off the school bus and throw his BIG PAWS on my shoulders he,d knock me to the ground and start kissin me. haha he was almost 6ft when he had his paws on my shoulders. haha lay his head on the kitchedn table. haha ma had a fit on that one. haha big head! haha well i guess i run my mouth long enough, but it,s somethin that i thought somebody might like to know, that they are just as good as any house dog and if i had the chance to have my duke all over again i,d do it in a heartbeat. i could never shoot one. i guess i was just lucky. i,d like to take the quiz haah but it,s not comin thru on my computer. that,s fine. i had duke haha. later
[signature]
[size 2]Coyote on left Wolf on right[Wink][/size]
[signature]
if you follow the link there is 8 different species in north america of wolf and cyote.

a few of them are tricky in identifying them. It was a good thing I wasnt being tested on the tracks between the 8 species I would not have passed that one.
[size 2]Think didn't work for me[unsure] But I know what you mean. I do not hunt but I went with a friend once and he was showing me how to track an animal and how to indentify tracks. He was born in Oklahoma and is part indian. [/size]

[size 2] I have been told by people who have hunted with him he could sneak up on a deer and and tickle him before the deer knew what happened!![shocked][sly][/size]
[signature]
thanks for the heads up on the links.

I could not make them go directly to the test so now if you cllick on take the test it will take you to the site and follow the directions above and you can get to it.

is takes about 2 minutes to take. and lots of facts about wolfs. the site is the national wild life federation.
[signature]
[cool]i have raised wolves and wolf hybridsand they are highy intelligent and very social animals ,as they are pack animals they have social rules and behavoirs and are not ment to be pets as they have to be with you or they will tear up everything and they have to know who is the alpha and it has to be shown to them and then they will follow you till they die as if you take away one the hole pack suffers and is hurt. ..good one on this dave.
[signature]
I currently have a siberian husky, closet thing to a wolf you can leagly buy.

you are correct about her temperment. the only thing you missed on is that they always chalange for the alpha position, females as well as males. they want to run the house and tell you when it is time for a walk time for dinner time to get up in the morning.

males of the species are highly protective of their masters just as you said, the femails are a bit easer going.

it takes a strong willed individual to live with one of these animals. they are not for just any one. I got mine from a breader and herd the night mare stroies of people she sold animals to only to have the animals destroied because they could not handle them and got bitten. thus becomming terrified of the animals.

she was hessitent to sell me one of her hybred champian stock till I had gave her a bit of my history with animal handling. I used to be an attach dummy for animals being trained for the canadian royal mounted police. bouveas' (sory about the spelling)

yep she snarls and growls at me all the time, just waiting for the day when I go wimpy. lol

she also is spoiled to boot, she wants her meet cooked. [Tongue][blush][angelic][cool]
we got duke when he was 5=6 weeks old and he would of died like his sisterand mother,if we didn,t take him. al said there were no others in the area as fer as a pack, he did not see and they didn,t come around if there were. no track in the snow,the mother had been dead fer a few days, so they were in rough shape when duke and her came home.the other guy took the female and she died of phenmonia. buit my point is, i would rather of had duke than anyhybid. i have trained dealt with animals, even the greyhounds which they feed meat and meat byproducts to keep them somewhat on the wild side so,s they go fer the rabbit better. i,ve worked with vets some, trained many of my friends dogs,and dealt with my friend hybrid and didn,t trust him. i gave him the respect he required,and he me, but i,d of never trusted him with my son. duke i could.but any animal requires respect nad love. he was bob,s pal, and i understood it and as long as i understood it, we had a bond, that i wouldn,t hurt bob, i respected him he did me. and were fine. since i was old enough to walk, i,ve had all kinds of animals, even my ferretts, and they woiuld give me kisses, come when i called em when i,d let them loose to play with duke and lad outside, tell me how many ferretts ya can let loose outside and them stay home, and come like a cat when ya call em?? haha oh, once they went to greggs swimmimn pool and he called me to tell me they were swimmin in his pool to come git em. haha laddie. and duke never went for the ferretts either but duke was young enough so he took us as his pack, and excepted his life the way it was with all the animals,in his life. YES INTELLIGANT! HE KNEW AND UNDERSTOOD HIS LIFE. OR HE WOULDN,T OF LIVED TILL HE WAS 16 YEARS OLD SO HE HAD TO BE HAPPY. and i,d of done it a hundred times over for the memories igot. rather than to let him starve and freze to death.i had to bottle feed him till he was old enough to eat. duke was not hiper like them hybrids. that,s why they call em hybrids cause they are so wound all the time that ya can,t trust em.i have dealt with them and the ones i,ve seen i wouldn,t give a nickle for. if you,ve raised em, then what did you use them fer if they weren,t meant to be pets??FRIENDS? if you had em then it,s either you showed affection to em because they crave it and if they didn,t git it from you then there,s no reason to raise them! for without the love and affection they will be more hypir. cause it,s not considered a pack to him. he,s either on a chain or in a cage, and once doin that, your learnin em nothin but hate and the loss of their freedom. they will go crazy. you,ve taken their spirit away. also losin respect between you and him. duke was never on a chain or a cage. he was content to lay on the porch or under the porch, which where he made hois den. duke stayed with me because he wanted to not cause he had to, like all my animals. they chose me, and it was fate that god sent him to us to take care of just like all who stayed with me. you don,t choose them, it has to go both ways, and if it isn,t there, there is no bond. betwixt ya, what did you do with them?? we wouldn,t of taken duke if there was a pack around to tkae care of him. but i have never in my life let an animal die a death of starvin and freezin to death and al couldn,t do it.either. i,m glad he didn,t. you could never imagine how dosile duke was. these were some of the happiest days of my life with duke and laddie. and duke died happy. and i,d do it again, if the situation arose where he,d a died. but i do believe the worst thing theyve ever done was to raise them hybrids. this is where people are just as bad, they do not know how to keep them respect them and have it come back ten fold and then like i said before, the animal pays the price. but alot of this happens with alot of good mixed breeds, and pure beagles, they seem cute to them, when their a pup, but when he runs off cause he wants to do what he was born to do, they say he won,t listen and not trainable. so they git rid of him, or put him down. or they,re put down cause they don,t stand up to their owner expectations, or they have no idea how to train then fer huntin, or his dog doesn,t exceed his neighbors dogs, or just because of breedin papers aren,t up to his expectaions so they put em down. i,d like to see his breedin and papers, haha he aint, got none. so the dog pays. they cramp their style and don,t know how to train or take care of them. it,s always the dogs fault. bull!well i,m gittin off ny point but alot of good dogs are killed because of stupid arogence and with no feelins towards the animal. have no understandin of him, or his breed. IGNORANCE. i,ve lived in the country all my life,, so we didn,t have too many come round either so it was good, fer duke, he,d let em know it was his territory, when they did but when i said it,s ok, he was fine. he,d go back to his den, too many just don,t know how to live and let live, and know how to live and love together. and most of all respect one another, animals can, wolves can, and duke me and my family did, cause my animls were my family. yeah i,d do it all again!
[signature]
haha hey dave even louie the little dashound does that, tell me when he,s goin out and when it,s time to eat and when it,s time to go back to the truck when his feet git cold hha. what a hound. jake use to go back to the truck and jump in the winder and take a nap when he was done huntin. haha .yes and i,ll take a husky for i,ll take a hybrid. duke reminded me of a good husky, tempermental wise, but never with the growlin just talkin. and told laddie he was the dominent but lad didn,t care, so they got long well.
[signature]
they are wonderfull animals and your love of them is truly admeral and thank you for your story i liked hearing and your freinds and respect you for doing it.
[signature]
i have two red huskys and they are rescue animals and i would trust mine with my children and my life they are the most loveing animals i have ever had and frenidly i love them and they are the only dogsi will ever have around children .
[signature]
any dowg treated with respect will behave accordingly. it is when they are mistreated and misunderstood is when the problems accure. and it is soley the owners fault and not the dowgs.

I agree, loves children, any children, but I would not put a leach in the hands of any child, mine would rip their arm right out of their socket. mine is from champian sled dowg stock. and if she wants she can drag me down the side of the road.
i hear ya there, my son cliff told me of this husky he had been all nerved up about when he,d gone with a friend to look at a truck. she was tied to another truck with no food or water, and bleedin out the mouth. i knoew then she,d been beaten on and bleedin internally. so cliff and i went to see her. she was the red with blue eyes, she was gorgeous,other than the way she ws lookin. it was too bad she had been abused.all her life. she ws skinny flea infestedl left to starve on a chain because the people had put her on it because they were scat of her cause she,d finally started fightin back. she cowered and had gone crazy from pacin herself back and forth she was so nervous.from not eatin and bein beat. her neck was raw and ribs broke, and tell me i wouldn,t of loved to git my hand on them.we went andi told em either ya give her to me or i,m takin her anyways, and callon the authorities. i was hopin to save her, she was too far gone and rather havin her suffer, anymore, we had to put her down and even then she still had a spark of love towards me and cliff. i think she was sayin thanks, nothin ticks me off more. i also had a beautiful samoyed, 3/4 and the rest a touch of the sable collie. she was smart and lovin and had her fer 12 years. she had some gold in her long husky coat, and she was a gem. looked full husky but ya could see htat touch of collie too. but as far as a good dog too, i,ll tkae my lovin beagles too.haha i guess i love em all haha it is in all how their raised with love. no different than a kid. and that,s so true.
[signature]
i bet ya.she,s just doin what she,s bred and loves to do. and that,s cool. i think ya put a picture on here somewhere too and she is georgeous. duke loved to run beside me and bombfire when i took and went ridin her. and lad too. he got his runnin in, haha
[signature]
hey there daymere, didn,t mean to git alittle snippy, if that,s what it come across as, i think itdid and sorry. i,ve just heard too many war stories and seen the results after people git done with em, ya know. bit there hiperness is what gits to me. so i just won,t own one. that,s all. but anyways ws wonderin, rescue dog?? do you mean you work them or did you git them from the humane society?? or how did you mean it. seen those rescue dogs when they were tryin to find people when the buildins went down, and that,s what they called them. was just wonderin. say hi to yours fer me too ok? haha later oh and i like your fish. later
[signature]
i need to git this one straight haha now, up here and in mass. thye started raisin what they call hybrid wolves. they are suppose to be and considered full wolves but htere,s somethin else in there, that they bred em with,because the state doen,t allow ya to keep a full wolf like duke was. i can,t remember what,else was in there but they sell them as full bloods. and it makes them so hiper they can,t settle down, and cant, stand quick movements and ya have to be on your toes with them all the time. is that the type of hybrid your talkin about. of is it a type of husky breed? like daves that is of the sled dog line and call them hybrids?? hep me out here. thanks
[signature]
no rescue dogs is when the owner doesnt want it and wants to put it down and i try to save them and rasie them or find a good home for them.
[signature]