Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back in the saddle-kind of
Not float tubing but getting closer,

[size 1]Took Sparky to the Weber to introduce him to water and a little fishing 10/15 for the afternoon. He's still very cautious (15 wks) but got him in and swimming. He seems to like moving water better than still. Can get him to swim across the river but not go in over his head in ponds??? Any way the fishing was surprisingly good for the effort we put in. Caught only 1 whity and lots of trout, 2 very nice browns. Sparky got very interested in fish. Used the old stand bys of gray scud and prince.

Tube Dude - still can't do any float tubing. Sparky is much too young and I can't go lone (still missing Bud).

[crazy]Leaky [/size]
Maybe you and TD could come up with a little boat for Sparky and tow him around [Wink]. Then again, sharp puppy teeth and nails wouldn't mix too well with air bladders . . .

Nice report.

ES
[signature]
[cool]Hey Leaky, Maybe you can get him fitted with a harness. Once you can get him used to a harness then you can get him a float tube that you can adapt the harness inside of. This could be another way to train him on the differrence between tubing and hunting.[Smile] Think about it. He is still young enough to train for both sports.[Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile]
[signature]
tubeN2,

Don't think I'll need it. Bud stayed out in the water with me all day. Sparky will to, beleive me.

[crazy]Leaky
Hey Leaky, Here in SoCal, we have dogs that can skateboard, rollerskate, surf, and even dive from the high platform. I don't see why a lil pup couldn't learn how to tube. But if that is the case I can respect it. Looking forward to seeing some pics of your new partner.[Smile][Smile]
[signature]

Hey there leaky,

I've seen a combination life vest/water-proof Saddle bags for dogs. The first one's used were in WWI. The model for this was a big german shepard. The floatation is on each side of the body and there's a piece/flap under the chin that I guess holds the head up. Had them for horses if I remember right.

They are talking about doggie seats for dogs in cars, next it might be PFD's for pets on the water. Except for ones pet fish of course.

Looked like it would work for someone who's natuaral swimming technique is the 'dog paddle'. Ever noticed that cats dog paddle too? Cats are really good swimmers and some of them even like water I've been told.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Leaky. Sounds like you guys are making some real progress. I'm sure you will introduce the Sparkster to tubing in good time. It is getting close to hard water time in your country, so I suspect it will wait until spring. By then there will be a lot of training, growing and strengthening, and Sparky will probably be ready whenever you are.

I once saw a picture of a rig a guy had made so that he could take his dog out in the tube with him. It was a simple plywood platform lashed on the round tube so that it extended out behind the operator. As I recall, the dog was a small breed that would not add too much weight. Something like that would not work with a great Dane...or even a fully grown golden probably.

Yeah, you have a lot more things you can work on between now and spring. I am betting it won't be long before little Sparky finds out what ducks are.
[signature]
Hey there leaky,

Absolutely, as tubeN2 said, where's a picture of this new addition to the family. Speaking of hard water, if you ice fish, this season may just be the time to introduce sparky to the words 'Mush, Mush' With some little ice booties on his paws, he may make a jim-dandy sled dog, pulling your ice auger and other bulky stuff to the prospective fishing hole (literaly). I've never ice-fished but like the idea of fishing while in a ice house with all the amenities.

JapanRon
[signature]
Hi back,

Here's a couple of pictures of my new partner, not very good, better ones latter. Got him swimming in the river retrieving sticks and trying to retrieve my fish. So far have been able to keep them away until I remove the fly. Don't want a hooked puppy!

[Smile]Leaky