Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New trout fisherman and would love some tips.
I currently am in Southbury Connecticut and live walk8ing distance from the pomperaug river. I bought a nice shimano pole that I use specifically for trout now Smile I also bought a phoebe, (lost it) a rainbow perch Mepps lure (lost it) 2 spinners of different size (lost em) and a thomas bouyant gold and red spotted. I also use powerbait, which I do not like nearly as much as using lures. I did catch a 16 inch rainbow with powerbait though. My first trout i caught was with a spinner and it was a brook trout. They do stock this river, but I think brook trout are actually native to the river too. I am going to go out and buy new lures and such soon. The trout here aren't monster sized (some are pretty big, you see the occasional 20 - 24 incher sometimes if you are lucky) but are fairly decent! I would love to know what you all use for fishing. I do not fly fish though. Also, suggest some lures if you want. The water is crystal clear so I don't know if that would affect how they bite. they seem to follow lures but don't hit it all the time. I am 16 by the way so a 15 dollar lure probably wouldnt fit my budget. I do have a job though.

Thank you for any information and sorry for such a long post.

-Mike
[signature]
Hello and welcome to BFT. I like the berkley powerbait trout worms and mice tales. Sometimes I'll rig them on a dropshot type setup and sometimes weightless. they aren't very expensive, about $3-4. You can fish them actively and cover water.

[inline P2080593_01.JPG]

If you do want to target the larger fish you could throw rapala minnows in silver/black and rainbow patterns. Good luck and enjoy!
[signature]
Thanks for the info! I cannot wait until I start driving so I can go up to Lake Wonascoppomuc (spelling?) and catch me some big boys! thank you for the lure stuff and the info about rapala's. Are rapala's really good? i used to have a rapala game and all the lures were fancy lol
[signature]
No problem. Rapala makes a good minnow lure, for sure. There are better ones but they're more expensive too.

Oh yeah, I'll also add those trout worms to the end of a spinner.

Another lure to check out is the "wedding ring" spinner. You can find them on eBay if you don't see them at the stores, they can be hard to find. They are awesome for trout and salmon though.
[signature]
Oh cool I will check that out. Also, it is crappy out today and I have work tomorrow and I am taking my SAT's on Saturday so I am not fishing for 3 days. On Sunday I iwll post a report of my fishing if it is a good day or not. I can post pics and such too.
[signature]

[signature]