Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
plant tiger trout in the berry
I admit, I don't. I had no idea how to tell the difference and not sure I do at this point. I just go off the stocking reports. Gerrard Strain.

But, you say Strawberry is too warm? Interesting.
[signature]
http://www.bcadventure.com/ronnewman/kamloops.phtml
[signature]
I have read that many times, thanks though.
Again, Daniels and Chesterfield have got to be close to Strawberry as far as climate and temps
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/fish...isplay.cfm
[signature]
Then there is something else to look at. Is it regulations? Harvest? Is it the hatchery? How long are those fish raised in a hatchery? Is the hatchery habitat cooler?
[signature]

If these legendary kamloops rainbows were so wonderul, why in the world doesn't British Columbia, including the Kamloops region, use "kamloops" rainbows????

The answer is simple: there isn't a "kamloops" strain rainbow.

http://www.gofishbc.com/documents/pdf/RA...TRAINS.pdf
[signature]
Fishrmn, is right...generally, strain is not the limiting factor in terms of how big a fish may grow. Generally, some other factor is limiting fish growth. In Strawberry, for example, most of the cutts are in the 16-21 inch range. Why? It has nothing to do with limited growth potential, but with angler harvest. Once fish reach that 22 inches--the upper end of the slot--they are quickly harvested. That's why the number of trout in Strawberry appears to have maxed-out and only a relative few fish are caught above that slot.

In terms of Kamloops trout, I would have to say that you are talking about one of the biggest trout myths out there. Kamloops is a small town in British Columbia. Before the mid 1800s, the numerous small lakes in the region were barren of fish. But, once stocked these waters saw fish grow to giants. 18-20 pound fish were not uncommon; however, as years went by, the sizes of the stocked rainbows beganto dwindle and diminish greatly. So, what happened? The bucket got too full...originally, the lakes and ponds had an abundance of good food, but once the bucket began to be filled, that food source dwindled and fish growth went down.

Nevertheless, a couple lakes in BC do exist where the Kamloops name and myth is probably warranted--The Gerrard stock of rainbow trout which reside in Kootenay Lake are probably the most well known of these fish. These fish developed in a system, like Fishrmn has said, with cold clear glacial water as their source and kokanee salmon as their prey species. Moved outside of similar waters, Kamloops rainbows and even the famous gerard strain are not really any better.....

A lot of work has been done in Utah comparing different strains of trout and how they perform...but rarely, if ever, has strain ever been determined to be the limiting factor of growth.
[signature]
I take it you have never fished either of these lakes. Myth, someone might want to tell Idaho then.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]I take it you have never fished either of these lakes. Myth, someone might want to tell Idaho then.[/quote]

Have you ever looked to see what Troutlodge says about their "kamloops" strain rainbows?? Specifically: "...there is no difference in the growth rate and survivability between the different strains..."

in fact, those "kamloops strain" from Troutlodge are really just plain old Salmo gairdnen.

It's called: marketing.

We already know that everybody knows the legend of "kamloops" rainbows. So if you want to draw anglers, just start telling people you're stocking "kamloops" and you'll draw crowds!! The legend grows....
[signature]
Quote:Chesterfield Reservoir
• Trout limit is 2
Quote:Daniels Reservoir
• Trout limit is 2, none under 20 inches
• One line only when ice fishing
• No bait allowed, barbless hooks required

This wouldn't have anything to do with it.
[signature]
marketing? I guess you really do have all the answers. Whatever they are called, these fight like no other rainbow I have ever challenged.

Fishrmn, they have big fishing tournaments every year at Chesterfield and the pressure on either of these smaller lakes is heavy, "because" of these regs and the kamloops.
[signature]
flygoddess -- that's exactly what we like to hear. It keeps many of you traveling north, and staying away from our steelhead waters down south!

(steelhead. Isn't that what they call rainbows over 24"??)
[signature]
Steelhead are rainbow trout that migrate to sea, they don't live in utah.
[signature]
[quote icefishingman]Steelhead are rainbow trout that migrate to sea, they don't live in utah.[/quote]I'm purty sure PBH knows that. He's being sarcastic. 'Bows are 'bows. Strain doesn't really matter. It's all in the feed and conditions. What really lights my board is any trout that reaches really large proportions in a small amount of time. It's a rare occurance that requires a perfect scenario of feed, lack of natural reproduction, plenty of water, and specific other planetary alignments to occur. It's a couple of times in a lifetime phenomonon that you want to be on top of things and hope not to miss.
Tiger trout in Strawberry would not be one of those things to worry about missing, in my opinion.
[signature]
All trout grow fast, but supposedly rainbow trout grow the fastest, and browns grow the slowest, and lakers grow the biggest
[signature]
Kamloops - are like Bigfoot!

Guess he forgot to use the sarcasm font. Oh well.

Checking in - want to thank everyone for keeping this thread tame, informative, an intelligent. Usually went a thread goes on SOooooo long, it's gone south. But ya'll have had a very toned, tame, informative discussion.

Cheers!
[quote PBH][quote flygoddess]I take it you have never fished either of these lakes. Myth, someone might want to tell Idaho then.[/quote]

Have you ever looked to see what Troutlodge says about their "kamloops" strain rainbows?? Specifically: "...there is no difference in the growth rate and survivability between the different strains..."

in fact, those "kamloops strain" from Troutlodge are really just plain old Salmo gairdnen.

It's called: marketing.

We already know that everybody knows the legend of "kamloops" rainbows. So if you want to draw anglers, just start telling people you're stocking "kamloops" and you'll draw crowds!! The legend grows....[/quote]

I do notice "Gerard Strain" listed. so they just have something against the "word" Kamloop.
http://www.qualitytrout.com/about1.html
[signature]
[quote CoyoteSpinner]Kamloops - are like Bigfoot!

Guess he forgot to use the sarcasm font. Oh well.

Checking in - want to thank everyone for keeping this thread tame, informative, an intelligent. Usually went a thread goes on SOooooo long, it's gone south. But ya'll have had a very toned, tame, informative discussion.

Cheers![/quote]

Since when did that stop a thread from being locked[Wink][cool]
[signature]
Kamloops trout are the same as regular rainbow trout. See the following from a artical from Ron Newman.

[font "Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size 2]Then in 1931 a Dr. Mottley began to study the Kamloops Trout. He discovered that the differences in Salmo Gairdneri and Salmo Kamloops were due to environmental conditions rather than genetic differences. He had found that the spawning streams in south central British Columbia were about 9 degrees Fahrenheit cooler than most spawning streams around the world. [/size][/font]
[font "Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size 2]He conducted an experiment in which Kamloops Trout eggs from the same fish were hatched and raised in two different environments. One set of eggs were hatched and raised at the normal stream temperatures around Kamloops and the second set were hatched and raised in waters 9 degrees warmer than would normally be expected in the local spawning streams. Those fish raised in the warmer water did not develop the extra scale rows and other physical differences of Salmo Kamloops. He had raised both types of fish from the same batch of eggs and thus proven that Salmo Gairdneri and Salmo Kamloops were indeed the same fish. The differences were environmental rather than genetic. [/size][/font]
[signature]
That has already been posted, along with all the other information. But, the fact remains, there is still reports of Kamloop being stocked in two northern lakes that do have the same climate as Strawberry.
Let alone the post I just offered. Some say strain has nothing to do with it, but the strain keeps getting brought up.
What about what was stocked in Mantua years ago (granted, bad choice in lakes there).

Of course we are all offering up one persons opinion however.
[signature]
How long is this argument going to go, i say, don't put tigers in the berry and be done with the argument.
[signature]