Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
plant tiger trout in the berry
[quote icefishingman]the only different fish i want stocked int there are kamloop rainbows, just extra big bows
[fishin][/quote]

How would changing strains to kamloops make any difference? Is strain the limiting factor in rainbow trout size at Strawberry?

tiger trout -- why do we want tiger trout in EVERY water in Utah? Can't we keep a few without??
[signature]
i just want to see what the action plan is for lakes like the berry yuba and scofield is it posted somewhere in the DNR web site and if it isnt why we all would like to know before it just happens or dont as the case may be
[signature]
[quote PBH][quote icefishingman]the only different fish i want stocked int there are kamloop rainbows, just extra big bows
[fishin][/quote]

How would changing strains to kamloops make any difference? Is strain the limiting factor in rainbow trout size at Strawberry?

tiger trout -- why do we want tiger trout in EVERY water in Utah? Can't we keep a few without??[/quote]+1 I'm tired of 'em.
[signature]

because they fight harder

tiger trout -- why do we want tiger trout in EVERY water in Utah? Can't we keep a few without??
exactly
[signature]
Sorry brookieguy1, i meant to quote, but i accidentaly didn't
[signature]
All i want for the berry is more kokes and more bows and cutts, that is it, no turd looking trout(aka, tiger trout) i like catching tiger trout, but they don't belong in strawberry
[signature]
[quote icefishingman]

because they fight harder

exactly[/quote]

http://www.bcadventure.com/ronnewman/kamloops.phtml

Quote:Then in 1931 a Dr. Mottley began to study the Kamloops Trout. He discovered that the differences in Salmo Gairdneri and Salmo Kamloops were due to environmental conditions rather than genetic differences. He had found that the spawning streams in south central British Columbia were about 9 degrees Fahrenheit cooler than most spawning streams around the world.
He conducted an experiment in which Kamloops Trout eggs from the same fish were hatched and raised in two different environments. One set of eggs were hatched and raised at the normal stream temperatures around Kamloops and the second set were hatched and raised in waters 9 degrees warmer than would normally be expected in the local spawning streams. Those fish raised in the warmer water did not develop the extra scale rows and other physical differences of Salmo Kamloops. [red]He had raised both types of fish from the same batch of eggs and thus proven that Salmo Gairdneri and Salmo Kamloops were indeed the same fish. The differences were environmental rather than genetic.[/red]

Rainbow Trout are Kamloops Trout, and Kamloops Trout are Rainbow Trout.
[signature]
here again on what to do or not to do i just want to know what has been done im sure the action plans have already been made or are in the progress of being made where can i read them
[signature]
Good question. I don't know where to find them.
[signature]
Find what? kamloops?
[signature]
the management plans for the lakes we hear about them but they just are not available to the public and i for one would be interested in the 5 year plan for different lakes as im sure many would be we can see the plans for big game and the goals of the management for deer and elk why not the lake we like to fish
[signature]
In answer to your post and PBH, I have always thought it was all about the "strain". That it indeed does make a difference. So while they are Rainbows, it is the strain. Is there studies comparing Kams to regular Rainbow?
While Strawberry Rainbow are a fantastic fighter, they are lacking when compared to the trout in know Kamloop waters...so that is why I have been under a different impression.

I think Kamloop strain in Strawberry would be unbelievably great.
[signature]
The management plans you are requesting are under revision now. Many of them have not been updated, such as Strwaberry's, for a long time. The biologists at the reservoir should have a new plan out for public review this year. The same with Scofield.

Paul Birdsey
Coldwater Sportfish Coordinator
Utah Division of Wildlife Resources
[signature]
Quote:Then in 1931 a Dr. Mottley began to study the Kamloops Trout. He discovered that the differences in Salmo Gairdneri and Salmo Kamloops were due to environmental conditions rather than genetic differences.
He had raised both types of fish from the same batch of eggs and thus proven that Salmo Gairdneri and Salmo Kamloops were indeed the same fish. The differences were environmental rather than genetic.

Kamloops isn't a strain. They are genetically rainbows. If you want Kamloops, you've gotta make the water colder.
[signature]
thank you for the infomation is there a link to where we can read past plans or will the new be posted on line somewhere ?
did the plan for strawbeery not change when the bow began be stocked at a bigger size 3 years ago because this did have a big effect on this lake
[signature]
As far as I know, right now there is no link to existing plans online. You can contact the biologists at Strawberry and they will be more than happy to talk to you about it. We will be posting all new plans online as they are completed.

I do not believe that the change in size in stocked rainbows, or cutthroat too, that occurred a few years ago was reflected in an updated management plan. That would be more in the nature of a "tweak" to meet the broader goals and objectives outlined in a plan.

Paul Birdsey
Coldwater Sportfish Coordinator
Utah Division of Wildlife Resources
[signature]
Colder? then why are they in Chesterfield and Daniels?
I do know it is the environmental. strain was a wrong choice of word.
Thanks.
[signature]
Well it seems like there are about 50/50 (give or take) that are for Tigers or completely against them at The Berry.

My whole point is... would stocking 5,000-10,000 (one time stocking) really change things much either way? Would it really piss off the guys who don't want them in there? They will get to big sizes (help with the chubs), and if you make it catch and release you are only adding another dimension (trophy fish) to the lake.

5,000 fish in a lake that size is hardly even noticeable - I don't think it would ruin the lake. And I'd love to see anyone on here who doesn't like the idea try to wipe away the Smile after catching a 10-15lb tiger.
[signature]
I don't have any problem with stocking tiger trout in there...
[signature]
How do YOU identify Kamloops?
Quote:These western Canadian fish averaged 150 to 154 rows of scales. That was significantly higher than the scale rows of Salmo gairdneri. It also had fewer gill rakers (those finger-like projections on the inside of the gills which filter out debris), fewer rays or bones in the dorsal and anal fins, and fewer branchiostegal rays (those indented lines under each of the jaws).
[signature]