Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear River to Benson Floatilla - Plus Report
With the assist of Skunked again, having the inside scoop - some of us BFTers are planning a "floatilla" down the Bear River this coming Saturday. Plan is to meet at the Benson Church River launch just above Ballard Bridge at 8am Saturday morn May 5th (have map - can send if need be).

We'll look at staging vehicles down at the Benson Marina, and float down the Bear River, out to Cutler, and down to the launch for shuttled return. Hope to stop at the hottest spots along the river, with potential for bass, gills, sunfish, walleye, channel cats (NO MUDDERS- we should make T-shirts!), maybe even some wicked carp shots along the way.... crappie, who knows. It's diverse - maybe somebody will catch an 18 inch rainbow trout! Ya just never know!

If anyone one is interested - red-carpet is out. Just shoot a note, and we'll see what we can coordinate.
Fish or no fish, it's a beautiful scenic river, sure to be filled with wildlife, birds galore and scenic adventures.

Cheers anglers!
Just under 8 miles from ramp to ramp. Ought to be a great float. When I fish the White River in north-central Arkansas with my dad, the stretches we fish are 8 miles. It is a perfect distance for a one-day float. I am looking forward to it. I just hope the freaking weather allows us to enjoy the day. But come what may, I will be there.
[signature]
This sounds wicked fun. I can pontoon, right? Also, what time are you starting and how long does it take to float?
[signature]
Toons are welcome I am going to take my boat for managerial purposes but I prefer a toon on this float. We may have to give you a tug across cutler to the marina but that's why I'm taking my boat. We are meeting at 8:00 AM and as soon as everyone is floating we'll take off. I'd recommend an anchor for holding and fishing spots the current will carry us about 2 mph hopefully a little slower but we will have a little runoff pushing. Life vests are always a good idea this time of year just in case. I think the float is about 2.5 hours if you don't stop and fish I expect we'll probably be out till 1:00 ish or longer if you want but we may have to shuttle your vehicle ahead in case we have to go sooner. Anyway hope to see ya there it should be a good time. Later J
[signature]
Hey John, I'm interested in a map.
[signature]
I've had a couple requests for an address, so the church is at 3400 N 3000 W and the launch is less than a half mile north of there on 3000 N. Just don't cross the bridge trolls live under it. Well maybe that was just a catfisherman. Anyway I think everyone will enjoy this trip it's neat country that most never get to see. Brings out the inner Huck Finn. Hope to see ya there. Later J
[signature]
Oh dam%*$#! [mad] I'm going to be in our new state starting Saturday morning...for the next week and a half. It would be my first ride in my li'l aluminum two-seater boat. Still don't have a battery for it, but oars work! [:/] Wish I could come! [Sad]
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]Toons are welcome I am going to take my boat for managerial purposes but I prefer a toon on this float. We may have to give you a tug across cutler to the marina but that's why I'm taking my boat. We are meeting at 8:00 AM and as soon as everyone is floating we'll take off. I'd recommend an anchor for holding and fishing spots the current will carry us about 2 mph hopefully a little slower but we will have a little runoff pushing. Life vests are always a good idea this time of year just in case. I think the float is about 2.5 hours if you don't stop and fish I expect we'll probably be out till 1:00 ish or longer if you want but we may have to shuttle your vehicle ahead in case we have to go sooner. Anyway hope to see ya there it should be a good time. Later J[/quote]

Just asking, but I thought you HAVE to wear a PFD on moving water= rivers.

Might want to clarify this so no citations are given. Sounds like a blast!
[signature]
Got me thinnin there - thought the regs were 12-under, required to wear, but now I see you're right. They do say over 12 can 'loosen or remove' a vest if on designated "flat waters". So - guess we'd need to know what qualifies. All the water in Cutler is moving, though not as aggressive as the river. Even at that, most of the river isn't flowing too hard - no whitewater. Better safe than tied to an anchor!
I do know for certain you HAVE to have an approved vest for all passengers, and 16 ft or longer have to also have a throwable.

I'll attach the whole PDF for detailed reading. See Page 5.

WH- PMing a couple maps. The main course can be seen on the following. If you're coming from Logan, either the Valley View, or Airport road will get you to the Church launch. If you're coming up from the south - probably best to hit the Valley View (HWY30) then take either the first turn north, and then east to Benson marina, or take the Benson turn from the VV - then jog your way up to the launch. Mapquest can get your precise directions.

Basically we're looking to drop in at point D, and zig-zag down the river to point C, and be able to unload at the Benson Marina. I just hope weather holds for us!!!
I think enjoying the buddy system for a float as this will be mutually beneficial! Depending on what mood my motor is in, doubt I'll be the fastest vessel in the armada, but I'll bring a tow rope, if I can help anyone else along.
J If My wife can get off of work and i do not get forced in to work we are planning to come up and let the kids see Dad they are still woried about there grandpa So i may be there will let you know
[signature]
I hear what you are saying on the PFD thing, but out of everyone I have ever seen out in Benson on Cutler and even up into the Bear, I have never seen anyone wearing a PFD. I am looking more into it right now.
[signature]
Hey, I just read this and found it interesting, given the fact I have seen numerous ski boats and other boats bigger than this on Cutler:

"R651-205-17. Cutler Reservoir.
The use of motors whose manufactured listed horsepower is more than 35 horsepower is prohibited and a vessel may not be operated at a speed greater than wakeless speed at any time in the area south of the Benson Railroad Bridge. A vessel may not be operated at a speed greater than wakeless speed from the last Saturday in September through March 31st in the Bear River, east of the confluence with the reservoir."
[signature]
[quote Bama_Boy]Hey, I just read this and found it interesting, given the fact I have seen numerous ski boats and other boats bigger than this on Cutler:

"R651-205-17. Cutler Reservoir.
The use of motors whose manufactured listed horsepower is more than 35 horsepower is prohibited and a vessel may not be operated at a speed greater than wakeless speed at any time in the area south of the Benson Railroad Bridge. A vessel may not be operated at a speed greater than wakeless speed from the last Saturday in September through March 31st in the Bear River, east of the confluence with the reservoir."[/quote]

That isn't good, wakeless is one thing but a horsepower restriction? I'm not familar with that area but are they saying that a boat with a motor larger than 35 HP can't be used along the route that the floatilla wants to take?
On another note, how much clearance is there under the bridges, could a larger boat make it under them?
[signature]
The railroad bridge is at Cache Junction, which is a ways above Benson - 5 miles or so. If I understand it, in Cutler, nothing above 35 hp is legal. I don't think it's enforced at all. When they have Carpalooza there, the DNR is always there, and there are plenty of boats with bigger than 35 hp's on them, as well as all of the airboats.

As far as the bridge clearance goes, I really am not sure. I can go check tomorrow, though. I will take a rope or something and drop it off the bridge and then measure what the height is from the water to the bottom of the bridge girders.
[signature]
Thanks Ben, that would be awesome, three of us are thinking about coming up if his boat has enough clearance, to make it. Is there only one bridge we will be going under?
[signature]
I've seen that reg before, and can agree - doesn't seem to be enforced - ever. Not posted. But even a lake like Porcupine that IS posted is properly ignored!

The bridges with roads have pretty fair clearance (Benson Marina/Cache Junction) but I have heard from folks with Wake-board towers pretty tight pressed, especially with last year's high waters.
The train bridge, and the trestle bridge are lower (I take down my tall rods). Think I can touch both standing up in my boat.

Been up towards the dam where the canal isn't even 150 ft across, and had ski boats buzz back and forth - even when I anchored out INTO the channel, and cast ACROSS - no respect! Finally ducked behind an island for a little break water. Maybe I'll start collecting a bucket of rocks, and taking pictures!!!

So how many HP does a Jet-Ski tend to have? Floored me to see a pickup PARK on the loading ramp while they buzzed around on those beasts. I mean serious - it's a LOADING ramp, the PARKING lot is right next door. NOT one and the same!!!
There are two - one right at the boat launch, and one more a few miles downstream. I will go check both for you tomorrow. I won't be able to do it until 3ish or so. I have one more final tomorrow afternoon.
[signature]
The railroad bridge they refer to is south of the Benson marina and covers the south marsh to Mendon this is part of power and light relicensing agreement of multiple use sections. The area we will be in is okay for big motors because we are after March 31st however I didn't know about that part of the regulation I could have gotten in trouble on it. Sort of a stupid regulation that should be re-evaluated. Later j
[signature]
I know when the river is moving fast at all I don't feel safe without one. This river is really slow most of the time so I think it gets neglected on safety but come runoff season it's smart to think safety first. Thanks for the heads up. J
[signature]
Sounds good let me know. I will have CV copiloting with me but I could find room for an anchor tender. Let me know. Later J
[signature]