Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
going overboard on flies
i just ordered some more flies. i must say i am amazed at how big of a fish you people can reel in on these tiny hooks. here is a list of the flies i just ordered.
Hopper, Foam
Beadhead Flashback Scud, Olive
San Juan Worm, Brown
San Juan Worm, Red
Scud, Olive
RS2, Olive
WD 40, Olive
Zebra Midge, Black
Beadhead Woolly Bugger, Chartreuse
Beadhead Woolly Bugger, White
Beadhead Woolly Bugger, White
Leech, Marabou, Brown
Green Butt Skunk
Blood Dot, Burnt Orange/Flame
Crystal Meth, Orange
Mouserat
Crystal Meth, Chartreuse
Sloats Tail
Zebra Midge, Red
Beadhead Glo Bug, Light Roe/Flame
Beadhead Zebra Midge, Olive
Scud, Olive, Curved
Leech, Chartreuse
Hopper, Foam, Tan
Beadhead Glo Bug, Burnt Orange/Flame
Beadhead San Juan Worm, Red
Beadhead Semi-Seal Leech
Micro Egg, Burnt Orange, Flame
Micro Egg Chartreuse/Flame
Grand Hopper, Tan
Grand Hopper, Yellow

in addition to those i have already got elk hair caddis, prince nymphs, BWO, muddler minnows, pheasant tailed nymphs, royal wulff, hares ear, coachman and some others.
hopefully i have a good mix of flys for any fishing i plan on doing. I hear FlyGoddess makes excellent Furled leaders so plan on getting some from her when i move up.

im going to get some farewell saltwater fishing in before i leave. ill miss the coast but Utah is so much more beautiful then it is down here.
BTW
thank you everyone for all your advice i have been reading the forum since i registered. you seem like a nice group.
Joe
[signature]
Holy crap man.

Save yourself the bucks and get a cheap vise and some tools and tie your own san juan worms and wooly buggers. Those are the first flies that any tier will learn to do and they are staples. You can tie a dozen san juan worms in 15 minutes for about 20 cents per fly.

Your first fish on one of your tied flies will be a memory you'll never forget either, which is what makes it all worth it.

Just my 2 cents though. I'm jealous of your fly box, for sure.
[signature]
one step at a time my friend. it sounds like a cool hobby unfortunately i have a lot of hobbies. other then fishing and hunting, i play guitar, ukulele, work on cars, computers, gaming, movies, carpentry, exercise 5-6 times a week, cooking and have a full time woman Smile in which she also has hobbies which i must attend.
[signature]
Holy cow! Hope you at least got 2 of everything! I learned that a few fish or a snag will end a great day pretty fast when the action is hot and you only have 1 of that type of fly.

Jealous over here of that fly box!

Fish Tech has a fly card thingy that gives you one for free if you get 12 and after like 12 times of that you get 12 free.
[signature]
i got a min of 2 and on several i have about 1/2 to 1 dozen
[signature]
When will you be moving? If you're going to be here by the first of June or so you still need some stone and salmon flies dries and nymphs. Plus you need some nymphs that produce year round. My favorite is a size 10 bh prince nymph (tungsted bh if fishing swift water). But size 10-12 of prince, hares ear or similar nymph will do the trick. I average about 20 fish per fly. If you're new you'll lose a lot more in the trees and brush but you should be set for a few years with minor additions as needed.
What ever you do don't cross over the dark side[laugh] and start tying. All that equipment really adds up in cost and then becomes a huge time sink for many. Not sure most people actually save money in the end. Enjoy your last few trips where you measure fish by the feet because those days will be mostly over in Utah.
[signature]
Awesome selection my favorite time to fish is when the hoppers are out those grand hoppers look like they may catch some hogs. Hope to hear your reports and all the fish you catch [Smile]
[signature]
I agree with the grand hoppers. I don't bother with other hopper patterns much anymore.
[signature]
Grand is a winner, but I've been liking this style lately:

[Image: 7036864635_26f465b5f7_z.jpg]

I use the same foam from Rainy's but a titch more realistic.
[signature]
Nice box man, sounds expensive though they add up really quick!
[signature]
mid june is when i head up. I guess i have a few more types to get. i have the BH prince nymphs. but not the ones for salmon.

I actually went fishing yesterday. We didn't catch a whole lot but we still had some good fun.
a couple trout that was about it. probably go again saturday for some reds and spanish macks.
[signature]
Salmon flies are the largest of the stoneflies. They are my favorite hatch to fish but the finding numbers and finding them at peak can be a bit hard some years. Trout go absolutely wild feeding when you do hit it right.
http://www.worleybuggerflyco.com/insecti...on_fly.htm
[signature]
About once every three years I am able to "time it right" on our family property near Ashton, ID. The Warm River flows into the Snake right by our place and when the stoneflies are out, it is an unbelievable smorgasbord. A good way to tell if you're early or late is to look under the nearest bridge. If there are thousands of bugs clinging to the walls and rocks, take a closer look; they've likely already hatched and those 'bugs' are empty casings left behind. I've been up there while it was happening and it is amazing to watch the critters climb up out of the water and hang on the walls, only to burst out the back and eventually fly away.
[signature]
got some more flies
Henry's Fork Salmon Fly
Henry's Fork Salmon Fly
Giant Salmonfly, Foam
Indicator Fly
Copper Stonefly, Black
Beadhead 3D Nymph
Beadhead Kaufmann Stonefly, Brown
Crayfish
Crayfish
Salmonfly, Triple Decker
Foam Bullet Head Salmonfly
Beadhead Bottom Bouncing Caddis
Foam Stimulator, Yellow and Orange
Beadhead Woolly Bugger, PInk
Copper Stonefly #2, Black
Copper Stonefly #2, Brown
Beadhead Atomic Pheasant Tail, Red Wire
2 Bead Stonefly, Hares Ear
Skwala
Zoo Cougar, Articulated, Purple
Beadhead Circus Caddis, Chartreuse
Hot Flash Minnow, Shad
Beadhead Flash Hothead

im sure the flies will last me awhile. i got some cheap flies from china on ebay to practice with. i caught a couple perch on my parents pond practicing casting.
ill have to post pictures later of the monsters!
[signature]
i bought the pink wooly bug for the soon to be wifey.
[signature]