Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beaver Ponds Still Rule!
I went back to my favorite stretch of beaver ponds yesterday. It was another fun day with the brook trout. I caught 8 fish out of two ponds and missed about that many strikes, all on a BWO. The water was crystal clear too... not like the river.
One of them was the smallest fish I think I've ever caught... a juvenile that was about 3 inches. When I set the hook, I immediately pulled the fish out of the water and sent it skyward. Luckily, it stayed on the line and I was able to keep it from going into the willows. I also found a pretty nice 11 incher.
[inline photo.JPG]
I beginning to think that the key to these, and any beaver pond is experience. I've been there enough times now to know how to sneak up on each pond, where to throw the flies, and what the fish might be eating.
[signature]
If it's a big deep beaver pond give a streamer a try. Hadn't ever tried this until a few weeks ago on a tiny stream looking for spawning lake cutts. Too early for the big cutts from the lake but managed a 15 inch bow and 16 inch cutt among a few smaller cutts on a size 8 streamer.The strikes where almost as soon as the streamer hit the water the first couple casts.This pond was full of 1-2 inch kokanee so I think the medium size trout must be used to eating other fish. If I use a small nymph all I end up is with baby kokes. My first salmon ever was a 2 inch one [laugh] from this very pond about 10 years ago.
[signature]
Riverdog, if you don't mind me asking where are these ponds? You can pm me or if its your secret spot I don't blame you for not wanting to share lol.
[signature]