Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY(Do-It-Yourself)Catting Gear
I would love for this topic too expand. Please everyone of the community feel free too add fresh and new idea's too this topic. I started my 1st DIY project about 3 months ago after seeing a simple pvc pipe holder by mustad selling for nearly $7. A good idea but ive always like making my own stuff. This 1st design worked pretty good but had its flaws as i will tell about.

[Image: 153103.jpg]
[Image: 153119.jpg]

The good: My 1 foot long spike idea worked, looks flimsy but solid as a rock.2 inch sch. 40 pvc is roomy enough for big poles but still secure for little poles. The Bad: too long, bulky, and hard too pack seeing as all together it is 3 foot long. Was too hard getting my big spinning poles out of the 2 foot long holder when i had a hit. So I midified:

[Image: 181058.jpg]
[Image: 181144.jpg]
[Image: 182035.jpg]
[Image: 182105.jpg]

I cut the 2 foot long piece down too 8 inches, then cut out a U shape for speed. So now the length is 1foot 8 inches alot easier too pack and is solid and secure. Your pole isnt leaving this holder. Here are a few pics of it in action with my 7 foot ugly stik tiger and penn pursuit reel.(will hold small poles too)

[Image: 183205.jpg]
[Image: 183214.jpg]

Materials: *2inch Schedule 40 pvc(obvious dry rot resistance) *file for beveling the sharp pvc corners *jigg saw(blade pointing forward) *Chalk line and pencil(Chalk line gives good straight lines for making your spike) *A decent mounted vice makes the job 10x easiers I hope everyone enjoyed this topic, this will def. not be my last project. I will be uploading some more stuff in the next few days. [signature]
resize your pics or this thead is deleted..

not by me...

to large..

I like your post.
[signature]
Nice! Looks clean.[Wink] I'll get some pics of mine,its just a pvc, two hose clamps and a spike attached which I hammer into the ground,unless theres sand its all limestone rock here,strong too.Jeremiah,heres a cool vid you may enjoy.

UGLY STICK ALL THE WAY,my nephew testing the ugly stick myth.I still have my [#bf0000]edit[/#bf0000], 8 to[#ff0000] 20[/#ff0000],its a beast!Caught my 9 1/2lb largemouth with it and a huge sting ray at the bay.

[Image: default.jpg?v=4fa4d103][#bf0000]click here[/#bf0000]>[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah4meUUMMZ8"][#0080ff]Andres [/#0080ff][/url][#0080ff]bends this Ugly Stick more than anyone else on You Tube ![/#0080ff]
Your post will get DELETED ...Thats if you don't catch a monster catfish next time[cool]

[#000000]Dude did you enjoy my ugly stick commercial[/#000000]..Dang I couldn't find my original rod holder[frown] but its simillar to this one I just put together ...On the one I had there was duck tape holding the clamps in place so they wont slide down. I use a spike as well,and use a wood block or hammer to drive it in... if needed...

My latest work...Paulpro [Image: yell.gif]now in HD..
[signature]
Jeremiah,for you all who enjoy fishing a bobber for cats here's my slip bobber I've used for them.Only thing is you have to moddify it...Its a "cheap" walmart bobber you can use as a slip bobber!

For cats I rig it with the weight at the bottom about 2 feet below the bait.Once your live bait sinks you can reel up until the line gets tight,that will bring the baitfish up,just keep some tension on reel.

You can use the bigger egg shaped bobbers as well,you can even attach a glow stick to your bobber.As for bobber stops you can use some old line,I use 15 or 20 lb braid for my bobber stop.

[Image: default.jpg?v=4fb37f01][#0066cc]4:07[/#0066cc]
[#0080ff]cheap[/#0080ff] [url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q99Y_sGxfeM"]slip bobber from walmart[/url]HD P.S You actually don't need a bead the way I rigged my line,the bead is incase the bobber rest against the boober stop near the bait,the bobber stop can get stuck on the bobber and the bait won't sink down.In the vid I refer to the bobber stop as a knot,its a knot you tie on to your line to control the depth. I came up with this so I can fish a live bait deep without having the fish get stuck on the bottom.
[Image: pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif]
[signature]
Awesome paul, thanks for building the topic. I was very interested in your bike pole holder your were talking about in a previous topic, more on that would be awesome.

Yea bro, the ugly stik brand is a beast for the price.If my buddy wouldnt have bent his tip down too the handle i wouldnt have believed it. Just now trying out the ugly stik tiger(10-50lbs test line) is the rating, with a super sensitive tip, you should check it out.

The cork catting ive also been trying too design a good carolina style rig that works like a trot line. 3 oz egg sinker sliding till it hits the swivel with 3 hooks leading up too a 16 oz bottle as a cork giving you a good str8 slant / from bottom too the top with hooks. Would be a bad*** advantage having 3-4 hooks per pole out at a time.

Paul you could start up our DIY catting rigs topic which i would be glad too help build.
[signature]
[#008000]Will a mod please inline the first picture for me "Duct Tape"thanks[/#008000].Pauly's bike's fishing rod holder ... just like you Jeremiah I'm cheap also,here is some cheap pvc rod holders you can attach to just about anything.

If you enjoy working with tools then this'll be a fun project for you.Drill,string and a hack saw reguired,O' and don't forget the Duct Tape! I've had these rod holders set up on ten speeds before,a mountain bike and here on a BMX.I'm using the smaller pvc but made a larger pvc holder as an example[cool] P.S. The bungy is optional incase its a loose fit or just going on a bumpy trail..

[Image: default.jpg][#0060bf]4[/#0060bf][#0066cc]:41 Paulpro now in HD [/#0066cc]

[Image: pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif][url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li8-P4_h6c8"] Pauly's PVC bike rod holder/cut+install

[#000000]Now if I can only catch someting on camera[/#000000] [Wink] [/url]

Good luck everyone with your fishing inventions and such plus your fishing..P.J.
[signature]
awesome, thats what i wanted too see. thanks much paul!! Im with ya if i could only catch a decent fish lol.
after while i will post my custom chum holder, floating river side bait live-well.

Whats the deal with making articles? ive made 2-3 bait and scent articles about chumming but its like they dont even review them. Anyone else having this prob.?
[signature]
Carefull you don't give out your best kept secret,some guys are pansies and will try to take that from you..Here's my honey-hole at the lake after a quick ride on my huffy with my fishing rod in the holder...

[Image: default.jpg?v=4fb62cb5][#0066cc]1:22[/#0066cc]
[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGaji26N-6A"] Paulpro in his prime[/url] [#0060bf]uncut and un edited for your viewing pleasure[/#0060bf]..Pauly now in HD! Chrome Huffy speeds away with my rod mounted to the front fork...Jeremiah,thanks for the epic thread..
[signature]
Sorry For the messed up sizing starting off, still new too this shizz. [Wink] 1st post was resized should load faster.
[signature]
For Anyone who needs a cheap easy way too keep your bait shiners,shad,etc. alive this next DIY project should be checked out.
Started off with a 1ftx1ft half inch pvc pipe glued into a square.Then i stretched a walmart nylon linen bag over all corners of the pipe and zip tied it. I made sure to secure around the pull string tab good, this is where i will tie my rope.

[Image: 172018.jpg]
[Image: 172040.jpg]

Dont make the mistake i did and buy short zip ties!!!
I had too puncture through my pipe insulation too reach.
But the next step is pretty easy too just zip tie some cut pieces of pipe insulation for floatation and secure a good tie line too the pull tab.

[Image: 183243.jpg]
[Image: 183231.jpg]

2 Mods can be made for this which i didnt incorperate or need are: Weighted net so it will stretch out good and not float on top(i throw a few rocks in it).
The other is a mesh folding or hoop net funnel style top for jumping pan fish/bait fish.

Other than that it was been tested mutiple times and is getting tested again tommorow will post pics soon.
Has already held 2-2ft alligator gar and has no rips.
[signature]
Here is a picture of it in action(shallow water).
[Image: 133300.jpg]
[Image: 133331.jpg]

It serves it purpose.I hope you enjoyed this DIY Project as much as i did.
Chum Tube:

Just going too throw out this is not my design, I found this searching around about chumming and decided too build 1. Only bad thing about this design is the weight. I should of went with 2 inch sch.40 pvc.

[Image: 153635.jpg]

Basic break-down is a 3 inch sch.40(thickwall) cleanout and cap. Drilled and tied a rot resistant rope with a double knot on the inside and a single knot on the outside.

[Image: 153556.jpg]

Drilled out alot of holes in a machine gun barrel style pattern. Glued everything up and this thing is ready for the water. Ive had alot of people tell me the glue will scare fish........But we drink out of pipes after its dry so....no bad taste or scent too me.
[Image: 153549.jpg]
Jeremiah how is it..Here is another rod holder application,now you can fish weather or not...[Wink]
[signature]
Custom Jon boat umbrella bimini top here,in action!
This is my follow up video for the umbrella rod holder.
I'm putting both videos here so I don't have to double post again[Image: bobwink.gif],
the first is with my Kitty [url "http://youtu.be/a3TciWA8xtc"]http://youtu.be/a3TciWA8xtc[/url]
Happy catches, Paulypro
[signature]