Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
looks like the cats are biting
My dad and brother went to the snake river on the Oregon side and caught this 36 pound 3 ounce fish along with several other 20 plus pounders.
[signature]
That is a great flathead. Was it released? Ron
[signature]
No they kept that one and 3 others but they did release 12 other fish and one that was just as big as that one. They have their secret spot that they usually catch quite a few about this size out there every year here is one my brother caught last year.
[signature]
Are those big ones good to eat? I like to eat the smaller ones a lot. But the bigger ones I leave for brood stock. Nice fish. Ron
[signature]
I asked my little brother the same question and he said they are as good or better eating than the little ones. Most of the big ones they do let go. most of the ones they keep this time of year are the in the 10 to 15 lb range. then as the season progresses they usually only catch the 5 to 10 lb channels.
[signature]
What do they use for bait on those flatheads? Ron
[signature]
I believe they use a whole dead blue gill usually in the 4 to 5 inch range with a single hook through the head. Using a slip sinker with about a 2 foot leader sitting on the bottom.
Here is a picture of my dad with the fish.
[signature]
The southern boys say that unlike blues and channel cats, the big flatheads are great eating.

THAT looks like fun!
[signature]
Trying not to sound like a dick head, we killed a 17lb flathead about three years ago, that we caught at Farewell Bend. I was so sick to my stomach and devastated at the amount of meat we got off that huge fish, that I vowed never again to kill what I called a trophy fish. I have caught several since around Weiser in the 20-25 lb range and just took great pictures and let them go. I'm not sure how old that fish is, Idahoron probably would know or get a close guess. Not to preach because that causes issues on this forum but, it is up to US to handle and protect all of our fisheries in this state, especially warm water fish that don't get any protection from IDFG. Beautiful fish though!

C.J. yesterday, caught close to 150 crappie. Finally moved into the shallows.
[signature]
In the last three years between me my dad and brother we have caught over 40 flatheads in the 15 + pound range they are not as uncommon as you might think. You just got to know what to look for as to where they are holding at different times of the year. I definitely agree though about policing your self and not just keeping as many as you can catch. Out of those 40 + fish we have only kept 5. Not sure if you know this or not but the flathead has belly meat besides the normal filets and if you don't get those you are loosing out on roughly half the meat one has to offer.
[signature]
Big beautiful cat. I know where Ron is going next.
[signature]
Nope you would be wrong. That is where i might be going next week[Wink] Ron
[signature]
Wow! that is a heck of a fish.

Windriver
[signature]