Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A really silly question on the wooly bugger
Okay, so I have been fly fishing for a while, but have just recently taken up lake fly fishing. I have really learned to appreciate the wooly bugger. Anyways, I know the wooly bugger can be fished in streams, but I was wondering how any of you fish it. I'm assuming I could cast slightly upward let it drift then strip it back (to imitate a wounded minnow) but are there other ways?
[signature]
I will go out on a limb and say it is probably the most popular fly on stillwater. There are many other flies used but I am betting everyone that fly fishes uses WB .
They are a great go to.

Usually on a sinking line. Cast and strip. Some do use them on floating line under an indicator to.
[signature]
When I use it I usually have it on a floating line.. and maybe a little longer piece of tippet than usual... give it time to sink .. then what I would call a bouncing retrieve.. meaning slight tug to pull it in.. hold and let it sink or almost sink again.. then strip again.. do all of this slowly.. ....

[cool]
[signature]
Great advice Mac specially the longer tippet. That is one time a long leader is a good thing. It will also be great in the cooler months when fish are more sub surface.
[signature]
I love to throw a WB and dead drift it along the bottom. It is an awesome imitation of a sculpin or a crayfish
[signature]