Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kick/Pontoon Boat Fins
Looking for advice on fins to use with a pontoon. Just getting started with pontoon fishing and need a good set of fins. Thanks!
[signature]
I picked up a pair for like $25 at sportsman's. They fit on wading boots. They work just fine. I have a pontoon at rarely use to oars unless im going a long way.
[signature]
I have several pairs, may I suggest longer fins for a pontoon because less of your leg is in the water. My favoriites are the Force Fins for windy choppy water and Omega Flip for all other water. Nive thing about the longer scuba style is you can flutter your legs like a swimmer and move on the up and down stroke with little effort.
[signature]
When I bought my first tube a year ago, I wasn't sure how I would like tubing so I bought the cheapest fins I could find -- the Creek Co. Lightweights (see photo). They have gotten extensive use since then on small ponds and large reservoirs in both a float tube and Scadden's much larger Assault XX, and they were certainly always good enough.

Last night at Little Dell, I let my wife use my tube (big mistake -- now she wants one), but she tripped coming ashore and broke one in half. She was very sorry but I said she had done me a big favor because now I had to go out and get better ones.

Certainly you get what you pay for in regards to comfort, ease of attachment and release, and efficiency in finning, but it really wouldn't bother me if the best you could do were the Creek Co. fins -- finning around a lake is just great fun, a good work out, and puts you where the fish are.
[signature]
i have the exact same fins as that and they are about the cheapest you can buy. also you gotta walk backwards in those or you will either bend em bad or break em like you said, ive done that a few times. so i got another pair of fins that are caddis Co. they are great and really sturdy. got em for 40 bucks at sportsmans.
[signature]
I have both your and K's (back packing fins) hanging upin the garage. Used them both for several years and as K said they do great.
But about ten years ago I bought Force Fins. They are spoon shaoed so yes you can walk forward in them. When I have been out on waters and a storm moves in, the FF I trust with my life and again, I used the flat ones for years.
About 4 years ago I bout the scuba style (Omega flips) The flip up is awesome.
I HATED them at first, BECAUSE, I was kicking like I have done all along. Like peddling a bike backwards. I got leg cramps and everything because they were so long. With the cramp in my leg, I relaxed and barely moved my feet and to my surprise, I was flying!
They really do make a difference, but you got to try it to believe it.

And again, a float tube is a lot different than a pontoon.
[signature]
Just came across these fins on eBay from Imago. Any thoughts on their interesting design?
[signature]
Very cool, good write up.
[signature]
Thanks! Great info. One more question. Fins that fit with wading boots or without (stocking foot waders)? [:/]
[signature]
most fins will fit right on to your waders that i have seen, also the ones i have i can just put on a pair of old tennis shoes when its the middle of summer and hot, and then i just wair a pair of shorts or a swimsuit.

Flygoddess- thats cool about the scuba fins how they have worked for you, my dads friend uses the some type of fins and thinks there great, maybe ill look into getting me a pair if it will make me move better with less effort, but like you said a tube and a toon are different and i dont know what you normally use.

tightlines
[signature]
I don't own a tube anymore, but with a tube or the V shaped tubes you are still sitting in the water so more of your leg is in the water and the fin is deeper, so short fins will work fine.

A pontoon you are out of the water with calf deep. So a longer fin makes more sense.

As far as Force Fins, I love mine, but I wear a Man's size 7 or 8 boot so there is a lot of fin showing. My Husband wears a 13 and very little fin shows.

I have never finned with just neo sock. I use flats boots or my boot foot hippers, but I know some fins do not have toe room for a boot, specially scuba style, so be sure of what you are getting
[signature]