Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot Weather & Houdini
[cool][size 1]Couldn't wait any longer for the fall weather pattern to get here. Had to go fishing. Daytime temps have been back up to 100 with nighttime temps only dropping to the early 70's. That does not get the water cool enough to bring the bass and other species back to the shallows for prime fishing.

Went through the gate at Saguaro Lake at 6:30 AM. Hit the water at 7:00. Air temp 72, water temp 75....warming to 77.5 as I kicked from shallow to deeper water. Knew it was not going to be a stellar day when I got bogged down in the still prolific aquatic weed growth. It is usually thinning out by this time of year, and the fish move in.

As soon as I reached the outside of the weed line, in about 14 feet of water, I started slinging topwater...just in case there were some largies that had not checked their calendar, their thermometer or the lousy fishing reports. I did not get a splash or a follow...on buzzers or any of my prop floaters.

I switched to drop shotting a new storm finesse minnow, in Tennessee shad. They look good to me, but there were no votes from the fish. I did have a couple of taps, but they were likely only lovesick bluegill.

Started through my arsenal of jigs and Roadrunners. Had a couple of light hits and hooked one surprised bluegill. That was it up until 9:00 AM.

As I was vertical jigging a little white bait bug in 15 feet of water...and munching a breakfast sandwich...THUMP. I was using my ultra light spinning rod with 4# line and the fish powered out to deeper water. That was fine with me. My Excalibur line cuts weeds pretty good, but I prefer to avoid them when I can.

About ten minutes later, I scooped up a 23" channel cat. It looked like he had gotten tangled in some of the weed growth, but it was a strange color. The weeds are long strands of green or greenish brown. The channel cat had something reddish hanging from its face. As I grabbed it out of the net, I saw that it was a cheapy rope stringer. Someone had caught this fish before, tied it to a stringer and then either hung it over the side of a boat or stuckthe end into the bank. Whichever..."Houdini" the cat had made his escape and took the stringer with him.

As you can see in the closeup, the stringer is tied into one corner of the fish's mouth, and the little white bait bug is clearly hooked in his lip right next to it. It was difficult to tell how long Houdini had been dragging that rope around, but he was actively feeding. He hit my jig with gusto and he had crawdad parts in his innards when I got him to the fillet board. He was just a bit thin...weighing only 4.1 pounds. Most fish from Saguaro that length will be a pound or so heavier, when they have been feeding well.

Normally, I would have removed the stringer and let him have his hard-won freedom. I admire a survivor. But, it has been awhile since we have had some fresh "kitty krispies" and cornbread, so TubeBabe outvoted me. A tie vote don't mean nothin' when you're married. Ya know?

I talked her into taking a couple of pics, joking (I thought) that this might be the only fish we caught all day. Danged if I wasn't right. She had only three or four tentative taps, and I missed one more good thump.

We were off the water about 11 AM. Water temp was up to almost 79 and the air was coming up on 95. There were quite a few shore anglers and several boaters...and a couple of rafters and tubers. There was not one other fish caught that we saw or heard about. The weather was hot, but the fishing was not. [/size]
[signature]

Hi TubeDude,

You guys are real troopers. I don't think I could hack the heat without a sea breeze. ha ha Your narratives really put us pretty much fishing along side you.

I noticed you didn't mention being bothered by the boaters as in the past. They must cooling their heels.

I also get a feeling that the last couple of times, from your discriptions, you may have been fishing in pretty shallow water. I'm guessing 15 to 30 feet.

If you tell me 'cause that's where the fish are' I'll fall off my chair. ha ha But I gotta ask, what is the reason for fishing that shallow? I could second guess and say that's as deep as it gets, fish species, etc. but I am curious.

Glad you got out for a bit,

Your buddy,

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]Okay, JR...with all the personal questions. Compared to fishing the ocean, or some other lakes, we do fish what some would consider to be shallow. But, when the fish are out in deep water...as deep as 60 to 80 feet...they usually either suspend or lay on the bottom in neutral or inactive mode. I would too if I was stressed from heat and water skiers.

In short, they come shallow to feed. If they had been there, we would have caught some...theoretically. When the surface temps cool off, the shad move into that big cove area to use the weeds as cover and feed on the abundant algae and zooplankton in the fertile shallows areas. The big fish follow the forage and bingo...you have a food chain...with me at the top.

There are times when everything comes together...including trout plants beginning in late November...when12# to 15# bass cruise the shallows like corbina looking for sand crabs. They herd shad and trout into tight spots and then take turns busting them. If you can find such a slaughterhouse, and have the right tackle, you can have some serious enjoys...if your heart can stand it.

The good fishing in less than 15 feet of water happens usually from about mid October until about mid December. When the water gets about 50 degrees, our wimpy AZ largies go back to the depths...where we spoon them off the tops of underwater humps at about 30 to 60 feet. That is work and requires a good sonar unit to find those small spots and keep you over them. Ten feet off and you do not get bit.

I do not like getting out on those spots in my tube because they are outside the no wake zone and Saguaro Lake can be wall to wall power squadron...with operators that usually care more about the number of beers left in the cooler than "speedbumps" (float tubers).

There were quite a few fishing boats on the water yesterday, but they blasted off at daybreak and headed for the far eastern part of the lake, where fresh water comes in from one of the other reservoirs...Canyon Lake. The water coming out of that dam is cooler and more oxygenated so a lot of the fish gravitate up there in the hot summer.

Got it?
[signature]

Hi TubeDude,

Yep, I understand the strategy for your lake a little better now. It just struck me I have such a mind set on fishing the saltwater by boat or especially in the case of the tube that I'm used to fishing generally deeper waters 80% of the time with techniques that are more for following the fish hugging or near the bottom contour/structure than topwater or even mid-depth.

Good reminder for when I visit my trout friends in a month or so.

Thank you,

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]Hey, "Guest"...do we know you (forgot to log in), or are you a potential member who has not jumped in yet?

The short answer is yes, I was using a bit of "sweetener". In this case it was a small strip of yellow bass fillet...frozen from an earlier expedition. The night before I go out, I thaw the little fillets, cut them into bait-sized bits, sprinkle on a little salt and then squirt on either shad scent or crawdad scent. Then I put the plastic bag full of prepared bait strips back into the refrigerator, and hope I don't forget to load them up the next morning.

I also use nightcrawlers...anything from just a pinch (for sunfish) to a half a crawler for walleyes and other larger prey. If the fish keep nipping off the end, without getting hooked, I either shorten the piece of worm or add a "stinger" hook.

Hanging a bait bug under a bobber is a good technique in shallower waters. It works especially well if there is a bit of a ripple on the water, to keep the jig and bait dancing at the right depth. I used to use that when fishing over the rocks at Willard Bay, when the cats were in the rocks spawning or just hanging out. They would rush up out of their hideouts, grab the jig and head back down. One second the bobber would be sitting there unmolested. The next second it would plunge under and send a jet of water squirting straight up. That can be fun, but you have to be able to haul the fish out of the cover or you donate some tackle.

There are a couple of bait substitutes you can use...if you do not have bait or if you wanna fish baitless. One is a small tube jig, hooked lightly in the tip. It flutters nicely when jigged right. The other is a piece of craft felt, in an assortment of different colors, cut into small strips. These take scent and hold it well. You can also use some of the Berkeley fly rod strips, or any other bait simulating product.
[signature]