Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kaibab Lake Report 5/19/12
There isn't much in the way of fishing reports from Kaibab and now I know why. We were camping with a large group so a few of us started the day at 4:30am. There was almost no action from anyone.

It is a small lake and you could tell the water was down a good 10-15 feet recently. The water was also very muddy and brown. In talking with the campground hosts, the water is like that all the time. Supposedly it is way more silty than most other mountain lakes in the area.

We were bait fishing and throwing every lure you could think of. We had worms off the bottom and under a bobber. We also tried several different colors of power bait with no luck.

The lake must be infested with crawfish, because you can see dead ones all along the shoreline. These are some big friggin crawfish too! I would have thought that was a good thing, but the crawfish must have kept messign with my bait because my bobber would indicate hard strikes and be dragged under water. But I would go set the hook and reel it in to only see my worm was still in tact with the smallest nibbles.

I did manage to hook a bluegill though. Nothing to brag about. I didn't even know he was on the line!

We ended up walking part of the shoreline and chatted with other fishermen. One person caught a nice sized crappie on a power worm - either white or chartreuse. But otherwise no one was catching anything else. One local said he goes there often and the lake isn't as generous as others in the area. We did see the hawks pull a few fish from the water and the local guy even joked its the birds that are catching all of the fish.

So, in short, your time is probably spent well elsewhere.

Gvec [fishin]
[signature]
Too bad about the fishing. You shouldve tried to catch a few crawdads. They boil up real nice and make some great eats if you can catch enough. Thanks for the report. I'm still fairly new to AZ so I'll be sure to scratch that one off my list of lakes to visit. Better luck next time.
[signature]