Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hole 33
I haven't been to Hole 33 yet, but am planning to this week. From what I see, you take the Lake Mead Blvd entrance and then head south/east? I was looking at Wizzle's shore fishing sticky and trying to find it on google earth. It looks like there are three separate parking lots at Hole 33? Which one is best to park at?

Also, what's the best area of Hole 33 to shack up? I take it you want to be on the point farthest out? But do you want to be fishing on west/east side of those points? For you Hole 33 veterans, is the fishing better towards to body of the lake or in towards the cove/bay?

I wish I could post a pic from my google earth but I'm on my iPad and can't upload. I will try and upload what I'm looking at from a computer soon. [fishon]

Thanks!
[signature]
when I go I fish the middle parking lot and fish inside of the coves I guess it would be considered the north side of the hole facing Las Vegas wash, its pretty deep too. good luck out there. watch out for those big black biting flies they tend to hang around that area more.[fishon]
[signature]
Those big ass black suckers (Horse flies?) were a PITA today up on the north end of the lake. Madi got bit in the head/scalp while swimming and I took one hit between the shoulder blades through my shirt today. I twisted/pulled several muscles in my body the wrong way today dodging them.

Personally, after spending a year or so trying to fish Mead from shore, I wouldn't ever go to the south end of that lake if I was all of a sudden boat less. Up north and Stewarts Point only. There is a lot of territory and very nices coves one can get to on the south end of Stewarts Point and some spots to the north of the road in. 4wd would be nice but I was able to get in there pretty good with my Saturn Vue FWD mini SUV last year fairly painless.
[signature]
I went to 33 hole Saturday morning and all I caught was a tree in the water and lost my new KVD 1.5 on the third cast Sad but it's ok because I went to Bass Pro later that day and bought the KVD 1.5 Rattlin' in Sexy Ghost color Wink so it all worked out.

Anyway, the hike down to 33 hole isn't what I thought it would be. I was thinking it was going to be a relatively flat hike down to the water and then regular shore fishing. What I found was primarily uneven grades, with some pretty steep and large steps, as very narrow walkways near shore. Think less like a Red Rock hike and more like a goat trail. When you get down to the waters edge you only have about 2' os path that usable. Too close to the water and you're standing in quick sand-esqe silt clay and the side opposite the water is very steep cliff walls. Walking near the shore was more Tomb Raider than Travel Channel if that makes any sense.

I make a (somewhat crappy) video of the hike back to the truck from the point where I was fishing. I had my phone in a case on my suspenders and since I'm a fat guy (6' 3", 400lbs) the suspenders were going to the side when I walked so rather than seeing in front of me, it's a 13 minute hike looking off to my right. However, there is a lot of commentary from me and the things that go though my head when I'm talking to my self and hiking out of a hole.

I'd like to make a point to point this out. From my observation Saturday morning, most of the bass in the area were still on their beds. It was possible to get a couple small ones to take a wacky rig, pumpkin / black flake 4' Senko; and another guy got a small bass to take a jigged night crawler. I even tried using anchovies and chumming with the head and tails for striper, but no dice.
[signature]
Thanks for the video. I am a big guy too, so I am not looking forward to the hike! It looks like there isn't much of a place to put a folding chair either? It is such a slant.

I was looking at other videos on youtube and one guy was saying there are rattlesnakes in the area. Thats when you know it is a good spot!

Anyways, here is my attempt at trying to get a map of the area. I have marked some points where I think it may be good spots, based on what I can tell from Google Earth.

For those of you who know the terrain, let me know what spots are best. I plan on getting their way before sun up, so navigating this in the dark will be a pain. Any info would be appreciated!
[signature]
I went night fishing at 33 hole with a buddy of mine a couple days ago. We only fished for an hour and a half before deciding to go hit the trails in our Jeeps. We only got 2 bites and tons of snags. We did see a HUGE beaver swim right by us in one of the coves though... Seeing it up close scared us but made our night lol.
[signature]
using your map here is the spot I usually go, deep water, probably 30 feet deep with low water conditions there's even asunken boat right there visible when the water is low.[fishon] hope this helps
[signature]
[quote wolfs4evr]

Personally, after spending a year or so trying to fish Mead from shore, I wouldn't ever go to the south end of that lake if I was all of a sudden boat less. Up north and Stewarts Point only. There is a lot of territory and very nices coves one can get to on the south end of Stewarts Point and some spots to the north of the road in. 4wd would be nice but I was able to get in there pretty good with my Saturn Vue FWD mini SUV last year fairly painless.[/quote]

I second that.

And screw those horseflies. I never understood how they can bite you through your shirt.
[signature]
Wolf and Whizzle, can you be oe specific for us Lake Mead rookies? Never been to the north end before. If you can point me to a map I would appreciate it.
[signature]
Ok, I am sorry I jumped the gun. Found Stewarts Point on the standard issue map. Any idea how long the drive is from Vegas and what's the terrain like?

Thanks!

Map - http://www.nps.gov/lake/planyourvisit/up...map1-a.pdf
[signature]
[url "http://maps.google.com/maps?q=lake+mead&hl=en&ll=36.369466,-114.392009&spn=0.025088,0.038495&t=h&hnear=Lake+Mead&z=15"]Stewarts[/url]

Most everything in this picture is accessible. 2wd vehicles and ones w/o some clearance not as much. The most SE point of land in that picture I can get to with my little Saturn fwd suv. There is a couple soft spots here and there but as long as one is paying attention not a issue. I have seen vehicles quite a ways further to the southwest of that point but not sure how to get there myself (blowing up the map I can see the dirt roads over there but never tried to get there myself). You can see the road labeled on this map saying Stewarts Point road. This road goes all the way to the water then splits at the water or near it going north and south. Plenty of really accessible areas to the north on that road that you can get to with a car and be waterside with your car w/o a hike. When you hit the water and go south you are on top of bluff looking down at the water. Not a bad hike at all and nothing like having to walk from 33 hole down to the water (This hike is more like a minute long not 10-15 minutes). Personally I liked to go to that SE point and park. Then walk down to the water facing south and work my way around those coves going SW. I haven't been in that exact area in a while now with the boat but have done very well there last Oct/Nov or so on the smallies. Plus there is always LMB and Stripers around. I have also worked some of the areas below that bluff from where Stewarts Point road hits the shore line down to that SE point and caught quite a few LMB in any of the pockets.

It is +/- 45 miles from the ranger station/pay booth on East Lake Mead Drive/Lake Mead Pkwy.
[signature]