Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly fishing stillwater with indicators?
I took a class from denny ricards at the outdoor show and he went over this but it has been a few months and i dont remember how he did it. Has anyone done it or know how?

Thanks in advance!
[signature]
Lots on here have done it and still do.

I am going to the sandy pond around 5 if you want a lesson and can meet there.
[signature]
Tyler, I have the indicators that Chan and Rowley use.
Stillwater indicator fishing is my specialty and my favorite. I posted on it awhile back, here and on many forums. Taught deep water nymphing as well.

I deep nymph up to 30' deep with a floating line and a slip indicator.
I believe I have told or shown Troller this so he can help you.
Use straight fluoro with a loop in the end and attach it straight to my fly line. I have a board I have fluoro pre measured out in 20' to 30' . So when I read fish at a depth, I put the leader on that is the right length. Slide on the slip indicator, then put a bugger, nymph, or Chironomid on the end, I then tie a 12" tag three feet up from the bottom fly and add another nymph or chironomid.
Suspend them with the indy one for to three feet off the bottom. Sometimes, adding split shot to the knotof the tag helps to get the fly down quicker past smaller fish.
[signature]
Thanks. A short and sweet recipe for success. What brand fluoro do you use and where can you buy it in bulk?
[signature]
when fishing 15 feet or less i personally use a fixed indicator (thingamabobber). anything deeper then that i use a slip rig myself, i have used them down to 40 feet
[signature]
P-Line or Seaguar, but I prefer P-Line (100% fluoro in blue and black box)
It is about $20. a roll but last a couple years.

Koch, I agree, I like the pop tops for 15'ers. Over 40 I generally switch to a Type VII and basically jig.
[signature]
Is this what you guys are talking about when you say slip indicator?

[url "http://www.flyfishingtechniques.co/2011/02/fly-fishing-quick-release-indicators/"][/url]http://www.flyfishingtechniques.co/2011/02/fly-fishing-quick-release-indicators/[/url]

I wish I would have known that last week. I was making my first attempt at deep nymphing and had a hell of a time landing fish because once my indicator was reeled up to the end of my rod I still had 20' of leader between me and the fish.. I ended up just grabbing my line and pulling it it. Haha!

Can I pick those up at like Anglers den or Sportsmans?
[signature]
Not a good link. Here is the egg shape. I also have the styro balls.

[Image: QuickreleaseIndicatorsl.jpg]

Way back we suffered with that, plus using barbless hooks we lost a lot of fish. We came across these indicators in very tiny sizes. Tried making out own larger. Then as I mentioned showed them to Dennis Brakke and he found a place that made them in all sizes.

Fish Tech and Sportsmans has them, but I am not sure about Cabela's. An of course I do.
[signature]
Sorry heres the link. Just to be sure Im looking at the right thing.

[url "http://www.flyfishingtechniques.co/2011/02/fly-fishing-quick-release-indicators/"]http://www.flyfishingtechniques.co/2011/02/fly-fishing-quick-release-indicators/[/url]
[signature]
Yup. I have the 1" balls and all sizes in the eggs. I like the bigger ones specially on choppy water. They are easier to see and they literally set the hook at times.
[signature]
All great information! Thank you. As far as the technique, do I "troll" with it or just let the current move it around?
[signature]
I just let it sit with an occasional twitch. If it is windy and you are moving, add a little more length to leader.
[signature]
What an awesome thread! Thanks again for all the information you guys give. I think I'mma bust out the float tube this sunday and try out everything stated here!
[signature]
I wish i would have seen that lol, must have been an interesting day, thats what I would have done though haha
[signature]
Awesome! Thanks for all the tips... I will give it a shot
[signature]