Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead Saturday
What a great day to be on the water, here's how it went:

Hit the water early, we were throwing nets in Gypsum Wash before dawn. We only managed to net a few shad so we went to the back of Las Vegas Wash and were successful. With a live well full of shad we headed into Hole 33. Things were pretty slow, we only managed to catch two small stripers. We don't sit around long if the fish aren't biting so we headed out passed Sand Island and ran into several boats drifting and jigging. Sonar indicated tons of fish below us (that's probably why those boats were there) so we decided to join the crowd. My partner, Don, continued to use live shad and I switched to jigging. I soon landed four 3-4 pound stripers. Don caught just as many fish with live bait but was slower because live shad does not sink as fast as a 2.5 oz. spinow. Fish were striking at 80'. A 3-4 pound striper is a great fish to land on a med. weight pole! Soon we saw some gulls close to the shore striking the water and a few fish splashing. We motored over and started throwing lures. We added several small stripers to the ice chest this way. Not a big boil like a couple of weeks ago, but enough action to attract our attention. We were off the water at about 11. It was a great day. I caught fish with live bait, jigging, and with top water lures. Can it get any better ?

Next weekend, I won't be on Lake Mead as I'll be headed to San Diego to chase tuna in the Pacific Ocean with a friend in his father's boat. I can't wait!

BaySport
[signature]
sure sounds like fun, great report - have a great time on the ocean!

sm
[signature]