Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear lake?????
I'm goingo bear lake this weekend on the randavue camping grpund and I was wondering how is the carp, mountain whites, mud cat fish, and perch are doin on that side??? Where is good fishing for trouts on the shore because I never caught any Trout there. Any good baits to get for shore fishing for this time of year?
Thanks for who ever is willing to help me Smile.

Ya last year when I went there in the summer I know I knocked out the carps and kitties out there just using worm and bobers. Hope this trip will be fun like last year and I will take pic of every fish I catch there and later will be on hear Smile.

I hope I will catch another perch to show Trevor yes there are perch in the lake.
[signature]
I didn't know there were cats in BL thats too bad it's more of a trout pond. I'm not a great source of info but if you want to catch trout from shore somewhat close to where you're camping I'd drive around to the east side and I've seen people catch fish off first point and I would think you could fish that area around Cisco and Rainbow Cove and do okay. It gets deep fast and I know I've caught fish quite close to shore there however I was jigging from a boat but the fish were there if you can figure out what they want. Good luck. J
[signature]
Ya I caught a few mud kitties last year and one perch that was suprising to me. The kitties weren't big at all I let them all back free. Ya I might do rainbow cove or Cisco to try some rapala lures maybe
[signature]
Cats ought to taste as good as they get coming out of BL. Good luck with the rapalas the cisco are silver with darker backs and yellow sides if that helps you choose your lure. Later J
[signature]
Ya if I catch a nice kitty and I'll keep it. But for sure hope the fishing wil be good as last year. Last year was the first year I caught fishes at bl lol
[signature]
Where did you catch a "Cat" at on Bearlake??? I've fished there for 40 something years and I just caught my first perch this last winter..
If you don't mind sharing your secret spot for cats that is..
[signature]
rendezvous beach last year was my first year ever cathing anything from bear lake. They just love that muddy area where all those long pants are in the water. Just saying the kitties arnt big i think my biggest one i caught was from 5-9 inches mud kitties. ya and one perch that was 8in , a few mountain whites 10-13 in and so many carps it wasnt funny XD . I hope the cover is good and if i can find my lucky spot again just cast it out like 10 -20 ft use worm on a size 2 hook and a bober in the water. Watch out they like to nibble nibble nibble so watch it when it just go down once or twice hit it.
[signature]
perch in bear lake thats crazy stuff there, i wonder how the population is doing in there or if there is just a few, they would be fun out of that lake and quite tasty too with such clean water.

tightlines
[signature]
If the perch got there from the woodruff narrows, that means there is walleye in BL too....... Fishon
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yellow perch have been in Bear Lake for years. But they have never developed a big population. However, there have been some big perch caught out of there...up to 16 inches.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Those who target them get a few by fishing along the deep weedbeds during the summer. Otherwise there is one caught here and there all through the year...including through the ice. But don't count on pulling a limit out of Bear Lake.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
well its cool anyways to know that and 16 inch perch are way big!!!! maybe next time i up there ill give it a try, it would be cool if they could get a decent populations though. and if these perch come from that woodruff body of water is ther eyes too, just curious i dont know if anyone know that or not.

tightlines
[signature]
It is not only crazy, but very disturbing !! I love perch and walleye, but a fishery like Bear Lake is not a two tiered fishery. If people have put perch and walleye in BL, it is a travesty, especially walleye !!! I can't believe that they would be stocked in a water above BL without the realization that they would migrate down stream. If the Bucket Bio's are reponsible, another big thanks to them. I would bet that walleye would decimate the cisco population, which is unique to BL, would not do the Cutt and Whitfish populations any good either. Top it off with carp and mud cats, really cool !!!!
Ya when I caught the perch it was small but suprising to see them there as well the kitties XD.
[signature]
I agree. Bear Lake should not have carp, mudcats, or even perch in there. There is a unique population of native fish in that lake, it's just Sad if indeed bucket biologists have contributed with their ignorance.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]As I recall from conversations with the Bear Lake biologist, the perch have been in there for a long time...thanks to bucket bozos of old. But they need more food and better spawning conditions in order to ever establish a bigger population. Not much chance of them becoming a major species in the lake.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No walleyes ever that I know of.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Bear Lake is a pretty lake but has wierd water chemistry. A few species do okay but only a few of the native species...like cisco and whitefish...seem to really thrive. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote Flyfishinglover]Ya I caught a few mud kitties last year and one perch that was suprising to me. The kitties weren't big at all I let them all back free. Ya I might do rainbow cove or Cisco to try some rapala lures maybe[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]I have never heard of any mud cats being in Bear Lake. I suspect that what you caught were mottled sculpins. Lots of them in Bear Lake. They are a food source for the big macks.[/#0000ff]

[inline mottledsculpin.jpg]
[signature]
That thing doesn't look like a mudcat to me...but I guess it could be easily Confused for one.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]One of their common names is "bullhead" and to some folks one of those can easily be mistaken for a small mudder. Heck, some folks can't tell trout species apart...or the difference between largemouth and smallmouth...or bluegill and green sunfish. Worst misidentification in Utah is calling a male channel cat a blue cat or a flathead.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And in Bear Lake there are two species of whitefish...Bonneville and Bear Lake. But some folks call them mountain whitefish...or just whitefish. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What the heck. What's in a name? It's all good.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
It didn't look like that fish at all I'm sure it was a mud kitty. If catch one it will be on here. Lol plus the kitties had whiskers and your pic of fish doesn't have whiskers
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sounds like you know what you are talking about. No surprise that they found their way to Bear Lake. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Would definitely like to see a good pic.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck.[/#0000ff]
[signature]